GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Very nice Aych Es Vee. I like how they retract into the bonnet/front guard, very:cool:.

I wonder if that is possible to do...:ponder:

·
Registered
306 Posts
It looks pretty rad, but knowing theyd be illegal and theefore never made by Holden makes me sad. A Calais Twin Turbo V6 would be mad.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks pretty rad, but knowing theyd be illegal and theefore never made by Holden makes me sad. A Calais Twin Turbo V6 would be mad.

Well, thats another photoshop I made a while back

(R35 GTR engine ..... juuuuuust like how the VL has the Nissan RB30et :D)

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Funny how the R35 has better fuel economy than the Omega. Not sure how fleet managers would feel about retreating the plasma cylinder walls either :D

With your first photoshop, see if you can take them just a fraction higher so they lineup with the bonnet crease when lowered (obviously adjust the indicator accordingly too...

I used to love those headlights but nothing is as awkward as only 1 working at a time, like when an old RX-7 drives past and it's "winking" at you. :|

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I used to love those headlights but nothing is as awkward as only 1 working at a time, like when an old RX-7 drives past and it's "winking" at you. :|
Ah, welcome to Firebird / Fiero country... I think there was only ever enough headlight fluid to operate one at a time...

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hey I liked my Camira!
mind you it is the only car I've ever had a sizable bingle in.... hmmm....
but it was green, so that might account for that.

VL Calais - gee I loved those. Esp the limited editon (by HDT) Calais wagon.... sweet!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I actually wanted a Camira for my first car, only because of the marketing paraphernalia I got from a car show. It was the last model in white with dark tint in a coal yard.

mmm, sexy. :lmao:
Mine was the one before. Still had the cats eyes, but flush bonnet, no grill slot. Last of the lead petrol so it had the big banger 88kw multipoint and 5 speed. It actually was a real nice car. Got it 2nd hand 2yrs old 27ks.
Sold it and my wifes Corolla when we got married and needed a house deposit. Went to a 81 Subaru 4x4 and a 77 Gemini.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Were you able to get the stains out of the upholstery?

Oh. Nevermind then. :unsure:

I gotta ask....what? :confused:
Green cars are widely considered to be unlucky.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Hey I liked my Camira!
mind you it is the only car I've ever had a sizable bingle in.... hmmm....
but it was green, so that might account for that.

VL Calais - gee I loved those. Esp the limited editon (by HDT) Calais wagon.... sweet!
I did my part and wrote off my sister's Camira. Those with squeamish stomachs don't read this story.

It was a long time ago, coming back to VIC for Christmas from Adelaide, where my sister had gone to live with her first husband and I later moved to as an exec with a multinational. My Jag was off the road after a cop ran into the back of me at the lights and my brother in law had to work over Christmas, so my sister's Camira was it for the trip home.

I took over driving and was just a few miles out of Swan Hill at about 11pm and most of the traffic was heading in the other direction up from Melbourne for the holidays. So, with light's constantly on dip I'm sitting on the legal limit (in my Jag I would have been 20 mph higher, but hey would you do that in a Camira). Looking down the road at the constant stream of oncoming headlights and suddenly the road in front of me looked like it moved. I’d never seen anything like it, so without knowing what was up I just hit the brakes full on at 60mph. Then the truth of the situation unfolded in slow motion and there was nothing I could do about it.

Apparently the fence at the side of the road was down and a solid herd of about 200 sheep decided right then to swarm across the road in front of me. While you may think of sheep as white, when they are unshorn with full coats, as these were, they are dark and they don’t reflect light well. It was a massacre.

Sheep flying up over the car and off in all directions, then finally we were stopped and the herd vanished into the night as quickly as they had appeared. My sister, who was napping, was now wide-awake. But we weren’t at the end yet. Coming the other way a woman and two kids in a Charger had just missed hitting the herd herself and slid to a halt in a screech of locked wheels. My sister and I got out of the car and there were about six dead sheep on the road that we could see and all being heavily pregnant had all seemingly spontaneously aborted sheep foetus’ everywhere too. As we walked to the Charger we thought, “what the hell”, only then realising the tacky feeling underfoot was the blood and guts drenched road.

We found the women in her Charger just sitting there staring straight ahead with the gear lever frozen in her hand, and which she had physically pulled out of the centre tunnel housing, and so as she unfroze after we asked if they were OK, she couldn’t get the Charger moving. This suddenly became a big issue with her kids in car seats in back and with the sudden sickening announcement of rapidly closing airbrakes discharging and arriving from the rear attached to a fully laden 18-wheeler interstate truck. This was not the reminder of the constant stream of traffic bearing down on this accident scene that we needed. As the woman scrambled to unstrap her kids from the back seat my sister and I tried pushing the Charger but to no avail as it was stuck in gear and the gear lever wouldn’t go back in. And the truck diver was locking brakes trying to stop in time.

Man it was close, but the truck driver seeing both cars stopped in both lanes headed for the shrubbery but fortunately stopped without further incident. But the headlights were still coming and so with quick thinking the truck driver jumped out of his cab with a torch and ran back down the road waving it and finally stopped all the traffic.

What a mess. We called the police on the truckies CB radio, “come back Big Daddy, we need the bears :D”. And we finally got the Charger out of gear and pushed it off the road. We could not move the Camira but at least the lane with the holiday traffic was cleared and could shuttle through. In the dark many of them thought it was the scene of a human tragedy as they thought the dimly lit bloody corpses were people.

Finally the tow truck came for the Camira. You would not think a sheep would do that much damage but if you take the 6 dead sheep on the scene and the others that were hit but fled their total mass was like hitting another car, just softened a bit by the energy being dissipated by their exploding bodies. Anyway, the Camira was a write off. What a night. I don’t recommend it.

An interesting Post Script to the story was that the Camira was towed off covered, and I mean saturated in blood all over. Next morning it was shiny and clean. Apparently the dogs in the wrecker’s yard, where it was housed overnight thought it was a treat.

;)

·
Registered
11,215 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts