1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Virtual Testing Was Part Of Cadillac Lyriq Development
April 26, 2021
Jonathan Lopez

Caddy has pulled the sheets on the new Cadillac Lyriq, revealing the all-electric luxury crossover an impressive nine months ahead of schedule. In order to accelerate development of the Cadillac Lyriq, the luxury marque employed a variety of virtual design, testing, engineering, and validation processes, all of which promise to accelerate additional product development in the future.

The virtual development and validation processes allowed the Cadillac Lyriq team to enhance a variety of vehicle features, including:

• Temperature control and comfort for passengers
  • Vehicle aerodynamics for maximum range-per-charge
  • Aeroacoustics and active road noise cancellation
  • Driver assist and active safety tech
  • Collision protection for the onboard battery systems
More at link

·
Registered
18,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Amazing what they can do. Obviously a big piece of their time savings is the Ultium architecture, but seems like they've figured out how to virtually test a lot of non-Ultium parts. Does anyone know what changed to allow them to do this? I know they brought IT in house, but this seems like a lot of computing power has been brought in too. Probably cloud based computing, but something changed.

I assume this also means we will not be seeing test vehicles on the road as long as they do more testing virtually vs. on the road. Though, for me, it isn't a huge loss as I could never see to much from the heavily camouflaged pictures.

I wonder, with all of the time and money they are taking out of the design process, if we will see an explosion of new types of vehicles and more often. If something is a flop, might it get pulled off the market faster as there are less costs to recoup? And, will we see redesigns more often? Particularly if they miss the mark, such as with the last gen Malibu?

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,269 Posts

I wonder, with all of the time and money they are taking out of the design process, if we will see an explosion of new types of vehicles and more often. If something is a flop, might it get pulled off the market faster as there are less costs to recoup? And, will we see redesigns more often? Particularly if they miss the mark, such as with the last gen Malibu?
It would be cool if we could actually see coupes and convertibles and oddballs like two-door wagons again. Almost all you see today are four door crossovers/SUVs because "practical".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts