GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This week, reliable source oh2o wrote that the Viper ACR would start production in July of 2015 as a 2016 model year car. How much of the concept Viper ACR , which was shown at the 2014 SEMA show, will carry through to production is unknown.

We can surmise that the enormous carbon ceramic brakes will make it to production, along with the larger than life ACR wing that is one of the car’s primary visual calling cards. If we look at the Generation IV ACR as an example, we also can extrapolate that the effort to shave weight will cause the car to be minimally optioned, unlike its more pedestrian brethren.

No A/C, no radio, no carpet, no frills. Check.

The Gen V ACR has been highly anticipated, and with the previous Gen IV ACR setting production car track records at race courses all over the world, expectations are high on this new version. The Gen V ACR has some pretty large shoes to fill, not to mention tough competition, but from the looks of how the Gen V TA cars are doing on the tracks and the streets, the ACR should live up to the hype.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
No a /c is a killer for the street...

Hopefully you can put that back in as an option..

The huge wing is not my taste.......and I bet above 120 mph it could actually slow the vehicle down compared to without it....

Downforce is awesome for the track yet as we ve seen with other sports too much downforce I'd a hinder emcee in youtube 60 to 150 mph highway pulls....

I'm just joking around......the ACR looks cool as hell....although not my personal choice.....

Are they putting a supercharged v10 in as that was the last rumor my viper bud told me.

I think said supercharged v10 as well as a DCT transmission for a track monster was what he heard on the viper forums or the buff books.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ACR never been about added Power. it was always about Handling and downforce.

Look on my other topic about the Chrysler Approved SuperCharger Kit for the Viper avaliable via Viper Exchange.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Do they plan on making one that's more livable in day to to day life?
The GT and GTS are about as luxurious as one can option a Viper. The Viper is not really like a Corvette ZR1, GT-R, or AMG GT. It's not really a daily driver and is basically an exotic muscle car. But there are some things I think they should offer with the Viper, such as a roadster version, and a paddle shift option (twin-clutch borrowed Fiat Group?). And to get some headlines, I think they need an even more insane engine option, perhaps a twin-turbo version of the V-10 with 800-900 horsepower. At about $140,000 it would offer some pretty incredible performance and manage to take the ceiling of the Viper further upmarket again.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
For some reason I just never got into the Viper. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's too raw or visceral for me. I'd actually prefer any other "exotic" type car. And I'd take a Hellcat Charger before a Viper. But - it's an impressive automobile nonetheless...

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
For some reason I just never got into the Viper. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's too raw or visceral for me. I'd actually prefer any other "exotic" type car. And I'd take a Hellcat Charger before a Viper. But - it's an impressive automobile nonetheless...
It's rather different than other supercars out there. It's more refined today, but still a bit of a throwback type of car for people that like the visceral feel of more classic sports and muscle cars that you can't get elsewhere anymore. The Viper is not my supercar of choice, but as with an 80s Lambo or the like, it's less about the numbers it generates than the attention it garners. It's full of character and going to get more stares than a Corvette or any Porsche that's not a 918/Carrera GT. The emotion factor to it is high as opposed to the precision of a GT-R or the new NSX.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
It's rather different than other supercars out there. It's more refined today, but still a bit of a throwback type of car for people that like the visceral feel of more classic sports and muscle cars that you can't get elsewhere anymore. The Viper is not my supercar of choice, but as with an 80s Lambo or the like, it's less about the numbers it generates than the attention it garners. It's full of character and going to get more stares than a Corvette or any Porsche that's not a 918/Carrera GT. The emotion factor to it is high as opposed to the precision of a GT-R or the new NSX.
Yeah, the Viper definitely has it's following. It's an admirable car for sure - just not my type...

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Yeah, the Viper definitely has it's following. It's an admirable car for sure - just not my type...
I like them, but it wouldn't be my supercar if I had around 100K to spend - probably. On one hand I'd probably rather have some of the other vehicles we've noted, but at the same time if I had that kind of fiscal strength I'd probably just be looking for a toy and the very special nature of the Viper (which makes a GT-R look and sound common) could ironically make more sense. It probably boils down to what we are looking for in our supercar. The R8 or Carrera are completely usable as a daily driver. The Viper simply is not. But even when looking at, say, C&D's comparison of the current Viper with the ZR1, one of the complaints was the sometimes "boomy" exhaust. That completely misses the point of the Viper and frankly is like them complaining the new Hellcats are fuel inefficient; it's almost the point of the car.

I still think they need a twin-turbo version with more absurd levels of power and torque. The Viper is all about absurdity. The Viper has always been exclusive and expensive, yet despite that cost never especially comfortable (today's car is probably not bad) or practical. It was not "logical" like a German or Japanese supercar of the era like a 959 or NSX. Today that continues, and I'm happy that FCA has returned the Viper nameplate to Dodge. I think Corvette is big enough to support a brand like the thread from some weeks back and have ideas about that (sub-brand or its own separate brand is my internal debate), but the Viper, like the Ford GT, is not as much. Viper doesn't work as its own brand, at least not right now.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I like them, but it wouldn't be my supercar if I had around 100K to spend - probably. On one hand I'd probably rather have some of the other vehicles we've noted, but at the same time if I had that kind of fiscal strength I'd probably just be looking for a toy and the very special nature of the Viper (which makes a GT-R look and sound common) could ironically make more sense. It probably boils down to what we are looking for in our supercar. The R8 or Carrera are completely usable as a daily driver. The Viper simply is not. But even when looking at, say, C&D's comparison of the current Viper with the ZR1, one of the complaints was the sometimes "boomy" exhaust. That completely misses the point of the Viper and frankly is like them complaining the new Hellcats are fuel inefficient; it's almost the point of the car.

I still think they need a twin-turbo version with more absurd levels of power and torque. The Viper is all about absurdity. The Viper has always been exclusive and expensive, yet despite that cost never especially comfortable (today's car is probably not bad) or practical. It was not "logical" like a German or Japanese supercar of the era like a 959 or NSX. Today that continues, and I'm happy that FCA has returned the Viper nameplate to Dodge. I think Corvette is big enough to support a brand like the thread from some weeks back and have ideas about that (sub-brand or its own separate brand is my internal debate), but the Viper, like the Ford GT, is not as much. Viper doesn't work as its own brand, at least not right now.

Seriously... the Viper does NOT need anymore power.. its still the Most powerful NA Engine in production, its like saying Top Fuel Dragsters need more Umph...in the engine department.

Automatic Transmission, and The GTS having its Exhaust exited from the Rear would be the best thing to happen to the Viper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.