GM Inside News Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the fact that GM insists on using cheap vinyl on parts that move. On the coldest day of the winter last week the shift boot and e-brake boot on my '03 Sunfire cracked right through. This is after letting the car run for 20 minutes. I've since replaced the vinyl with suede. What gets me is that I had to buy the plastic trim ring that the boot attatches to. It also broke and I couldn't get warrenty for it because I " have a heavily moddified shifter assembly that could cause unusual stress on the boot assembly" Give me a break. I just needed to vent a little.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by blkfire@Feb 5 2004, 08:46 PM
I hate the fact that GM insists on using cheap vinyl on parts that move. On the coldest day of the winter last week the shift boot and e-brake boot on my '03 Sunfire cracked right through. This is after letting the car run for 20 minutes. I've since replaced the vinyl with suede. What gets me is that I had to buy the plastic trim ring that the boot attatches to. It also broke and I couldn't get warrenty for it because I " have a heavily moddified shifter assembly that could cause unusual stress on the boot assembly" Give me a break. I just needed to vent a little.
This is common on many cars. If you hadn't replaced anything first, the dealer probably would've ordered you a new one free. Not quite sure what "heavily modded" entails... lots of car companies will void warranty on parts if you change something though... what's sad is it was THEIR part that broke. <_<

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically I have a B&M short shifter. They just try and get out of things. The fact that I've bought 4 vechicles from the same dealership means nothing. I know that if you change things they will not warrenty them, and that makes sense.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Perhaps its time for a heated garage? I had to drive my moms Malibu to school in -40 C (-40 F) last week and the thing felt like a bloody tank :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My garage is heated. I was at work. Maybe we should ask for heated parking in our next contract............. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.