GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
www.autoblog.com

VIDEO: Viper ACR and Corvette ZR1 battle on the 'Ring

A couple months back, the bone-stock Corvette ZR1 put supercars everywhere on notice when it took on the famed Nurburgring and ran a Nissan GT-R-beating 7:26. The track-ready, fire breathing Viper ACR bested the Corvette's amazing effort by posting an incredible 7:22 lap time. Despite a four second difference in total track time, blogger Andi Barichi slapped both track videos together (after 30 seconds of annoying scrolling text) to verify that the Viper ACR came out on top. Hit the jump to view the two fastest American-made, street legal, 600+ hp beasts as they tangle in a 'Ring battle for the ages. The video proves what we already knew, but it's still fun to see how two very different, yet very similar vehicles, handle the twists and turns of the Nurburgring.

Video at Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/29/video-viper-acr-and-corvette-zr1-battle-on-the-ring/

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I dont know about anyone else.. but with the way that driver is driving the ZR1.. it looks like they could gett a better/cleaner driver and possibly get a even better lap time.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
maybe the viper driver should give it a go, lol. Wait, that might be worth a try...

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe the viper driver should give it a go, lol. Wait, that might be worth a try...
lol!

I know this was mentioned before.. but who was the driver behinde the wheel of the ZR1 when it set that 'Ring time?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I don't even consider that Viper a regular car. No one in there right mind would want to drive that car every day. It's made for the track. On the other hand, I would happily commute to work into D.C. everyday in a ZR1.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't even consider that Viper a regular car. No one in there right mind would want to drive that car every day. It's made for the track. On the other hand, I would happily commute to work into D.C. everyday in a ZR1.

I agree... In reality the ACR is made specifically as a track car. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
906 Posts
lol!

I know this was mentioned before.. but who was the driver behinde the wheel of the ZR1 when it set that 'Ring time?
Jim Mero, a GM engineer, not a race car driver like the one hired to drive the Viper ACR. GM needs to get a lap time with John Heinricy though I think GM might be waiting for the V Spec to run it's lap before they go all out.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Again: ZR1: stock street car. street tires. engineer with plenty of track time.
ACR: "track ready" car. Race tires. Race car driver. Thinly veiled race car.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Jim Mero, a GM engineer, not a race car driver like the one hired to drive the Viper ACR. GM needs to get a lap time with John Heinricy though I think GM might be waiting for the V Spec to run it's lap before they go all out.
Thaty's exactly what I was thinking. They probably want Nissan fan showing off that the v spec is the fastest around the ring and then go again and beat the time with the ZR1 to put back Ricers to there place!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thaty's exactly what I was thinking. They probably want Nissan fan showing off that the v spec is the fastest around the ring and then go again and beat the time with the ZR1 to put back Ricers to there place!
I would respectfully not put the GTR or any of the other Japanese sports cars (300zx TT, Supra TT, RX-7TT, 3000 VR-4 TT, NSX) in the "rice" category. They were legitimate Corvette competitors. But, I agree with you, GM needs to spend money wisely, so, they will wait to see what the V-spec does to make another go. Of course, There is always the V-spec II and the Nur editions that they can roll out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts