GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
GMC certainly does have what Opel (a below par mass producer) does not offer in Europe as a Land Rover/Range Rover alternative, even a Canyon would do well in Europe Ranger sales were up 150% and Toyota Hilux sales were up 200% it's a fastest growing sector in the EU with above 100% rises, GM does not sell a pick-up in Europe, could they be sold through the massive network of Opel/Vauxhall dealers.

GMC sure could offer more premium products which are all have very high profit yields, something Opel lacks big time and is short on supply in Europe without clashing at all with anything in the Opel line-up.

It would be kinda nice to see GM Europe send a nice big healthy tidy profit home to the US every year.

Reactions: TheNewStandard

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
my "take away" from that interview is forget about a GNX as an exclusive product
and going forward Buick is sticking with the "middle"
I think the MID sized CUV is in the works but he would LET nothing out about it BUT expanding into every NICHE is NOT happening so I assume Cascada is OUT

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I really like this guy. True professional. I don't agree however on lack of pick-up market in Europe. Both Hilux and Ranger do well here. Such a well executed product as Canyon, with proper transmissions/engines would sell.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a huge step that a person at GM sees GMC Denali potential and GMC in general as an alternative to Land Rover and Jeep in general. The problem is if GM corporate will fund his dreams.

As for Buick, its married to Opel and China, unless someone can grow the brand significantly in North America, this market is going to be secondary to Europe and Chinese needs.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
GMC certainly does have what Opel (a below par mass producer) does not offer in Europe as a Land Rover/Range Rover alternative, even a Canyon would do well in Europe Ranger sales were up 150% and Toyota Hilux sales were up 200% it's a fastest growing sector in the EU with above 100% rises, GM does not sell a pick-up in Europe, could they be sold through the massive network of Opel/Vauxhall dealers.

GMC sure could offer more premium products which are all have very high profit yields, something Opel lacks big time and is short on supply in Europe without clashing at all with anything in the Opel line-up.

It would be kinda nice to see GM Europe send a nice big healthy tidy profit home to the US every year.
Exactly, agree 100%

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Its a huge step that a person at GM sees GMC Denali potential and GMC in general as an alternative to Land Rover and Jeep in general. The problem is if GM corporate will fund his dreams.

As for Buick, its married to Opel and China, unless someone can grow the brand significantly in North America, this market is going to be secondary to Europe and Chinese needs.
Funding GMC should be Priority #1 at GM since it will deliver more profitable revenue faster than any other GM brand, and can do it for a fraction of the cost than any other GM brand.

As he stated a few times GMC is a Diamond within GM; a very LARGE DIAMOND that can easily triple it's global volume with a few key vehicles. GMC models can be sold in Europe with Opel/Vauxhall and with Buick in China and all that volume is high ATP/margin.

That extra revenue can easily increase GM's global net profit and top line revenue growth by well over 100% in less than 3 years.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Duh! But lets see if it actually comes true because this is one that I have not seen them do yet. They keep saying it but won't do it so sorry until I see it I think they will keep doing the same thing. You get my point.

Reactions: SierraGS

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
Duh! But lets see if it actually comes true because this is one that I have not seen them do yet. They keep saying it but won't do it so sorry until I see it I think they will keep doing the same thing. You get my point.
It is amazing the lack of focus GM puts on GMC, for a brand that has done nothing but grow retail sales since GM came out of BK and the cash it has put into GM's coffers it should be GM's primary focus for growth. The premium Crossover/SUV market is the hottest in the industry and as was mentioned in the video, Premium and Luxury buyers do not buy Mainstream brands and GMC can offer something Buick cannot.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Will be interesting to see what is offered by these brands in the 2019 timeframe when we replace our Saturn Outlook with something that has only two rows.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts

The Isuzu D-Max, which is badged as Chevrolet Colorado for the US, is already on sale in Europe by Isuzu and doing well - Isuzu would be well advised not to licence the D-Max for GM sales in Europe.

None of GM's own pick-ups are suitable for Europe.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Related:

GMC Boss Vows To Change the Face of the Brand
Edmunds
By Rick Kranz, Correspondent
11/07/2014

SAN DIEGO — GMC is taking the first steps to strengthen the brand as part of an effort to boost sales, a strategy that could lead to the addition of a Jeep Wrangler-inspired SUV and a luxury SUV flagship positioned above the GMC Yukon Denali SUV.

"We are looking at everything," Aldred said. "What segments will grow? What segments will not? We are evaluating all possibilities that could really turbocharge the brand and the growth."

He added: "You could consider a real flagship over Yukon."

A subcompact crossover that is about the size of the Buick Encore is another possibility, as well as an "active all-road, Wrangler-esque type of vehicle," Aldred said. "There are definitely more big segments we could play in if we want to."

*Full Article at Link

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Is it just me or did he just say a whole lot of nothing?

Justifying a GMC pair of Yukon/Omega SUV alongside a Cadillac pair of Escalade/Omega SUV sounds difficult.

Sounds like there's too much crossover (no pun intended).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts