GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,443 Posts
Sorry, I stated that wrong. It's not the range extender engine that needed more power. I meant that it was the electric motor that was limiting the ELR.
It got kicked up significantly for '16.
2014: 207 hp / 295 lb/ft 0-60 7.8 seconds
2016: 233 hp / 373 lb/ft, 0-60 6.4 seconds
Both are quite quick to 30 mph because of instant torque.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ford comes out with this THE DAY BEFORE gm shows-off the Silverado EV........... 'ouch'.
The question is what does a reservation actually mean? Is that just like the 100 dollars I put ‘down’ on a MCE 2022 Sierra? If so it will be interesting to see if they get 100,000 sold orders. If I was in the Ford market I’d get a 5.0 no question. However the 3.5L Powerboost is tempting.

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The question is what does a reservation actually mean? Is that just like the 100 dollars I put ‘down’ on a MCE 2022 Sierra? If so it will be interesting to see if they get 100,000 sold orders. If I was in the Ford market I’d get a 5.0 no question. However the 3.5L Powerboost is tempting.
No, Ford has 200,000 "reservations" on Thursday, people will be able to start turning "reservations" to orders.
- It doesn't really matter today, orders will exceed demand for a while.

Yeah, loved my 2015 5.0L with 6-Speed, a new one with a 10-Speed would be killer.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
It got kicked up significantly for '16.
2014: 207 hp / 295 lb/ft 0-60 7.8 seconds
2016: 233 hp / 373 lb/ft, 0-60 6.4 seconds
Both are quite quick to 30 mph because of instant torque.
Yes, they compared quite well to economy cars. The ELR should have been comparing itself to something better.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,443 Posts
Yes, they compared quite well to economy cars. The ELR should have been comparing itself to something better.
Well, until just recently the build quality and interior are still a lot better than the competition.
Now that they're more or less $30K, the ELR is easily the nicest "cheap" EV-ish thing you can buy.
I'm not into the less is more aesthetic. Less is just feeding you crap and telling you it's chocolate.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Biggest problems with EV's they are costing an absolute fortune nearly 2 times as much as some of the ICE equivalents they replace, adding massive expensive tech as well like 4 wheel steering, fully autonomous tech is pricing out its old ICE buyers out of its products they used to buy, some of the big old ICE giants legacy car players may end up small niche market players in the future. Ones that can deliver simple low tech base model EV products will be the bigger players in the future will serve its ole ICE buyers well by making expensive EV a bit more affordable to it's old ICE buyers match their wallets better. You can't expect them to pay twice the price it does not match real world pay rises and ability to pay.
Your view is informed by older EVs. The upcoming Chevy Equinox EV and Silverado EV tare only slightly more than similarly equipped ICE versions. The Silverado EV will only be about $4000 more than the Silverado HD. The ICE Equinox is 26k. The Equinox EV? Will start “around 30k.”

The Tesla Model 3 has a similar price and performance as the BMW 3 Series or Mercedes C Class — and frankly not significantly higher than the CT4.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Your view is informed by older EVs. The upcoming Chevy Equinox EV and Silverado EV tare only slightly more than similarly equipped ICE versions. The Silverado EV will only be about $4000 more than the Silverado HD. The ICE Equinox is 26k. The Equinox EV? Will start “around 30k.”

The Tesla Model 3 has a similar price and performance as the BMW 3 Series or Mercedes C Class — and frankly not significantly higher than the CT4.
Lots of Apples to Oranges comparisons; not to mention a lot of the prices we don't know, and that's also ignoring "costs" which we will never know.
(profit isn't important when they are only selling ~1,000)

But I've got to ask, what makes a M3 equivalent to a 3 Series or C Class?
- Better-yet, why not compare the M3 to a Malibu or Accord?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts