GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t Worry, the Cadillac ATS-V Coupe Will Absolutely Do Burnouts.
Car & Driver
November 10, 2014
By: Robert Sorokanich

Cadillac once again has BMW’s segment-defining M3 (sorry, make that M4) in its crosshairs with the hottest version of the handsome ATS coupe. We don’t know if the muscle Caddy can take that throne just yet, but thanks to this brand-new teaser video from Cadillac, we know one thing for sure: This coupe can roast its rear tires with the best of ‘em.

The rear-drive coupe shares its Alpha platform with the CTS and the upcoming Camaro, and we’re expecting the V-branded version to run the same 3.6-liter twin-turb0 V-6 that powered Caddy’s CTS Vsport to a Lighting Lap time that nipped at the hells of the much more powerful Jaguar XFR-S. In the ATS-V, look for that engine to kick out somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 horses, sent through either GM’s superb 8-speed auto or (saints be praised) the row-your-own 7-speed from the Corvette.

We love the idea of a trim, lithe, powerful Caddy that can take the fight to BMW, and with the promise of a true manual transmission and price in the 60s, this may be the most evenly-matched crest-vs-roundel fight yet. We’ll know for sure once the ATS-V is officially unveiled at the L.A. Auto Show next week.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Fools left out AWD which is where the sales volume is these days.

Maybe a little harsh but you get the drift.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
It sounds good for boosted V6.

By the way, it's going to need make more than 450 hp. The M3/M4 make 425 at the rear. Anything less than 475 at the crank won't get it done, so even 500 hp will just be a little lead in reality. The TTV8 in the C63 makes 500 without trying.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
V
It sounds good for boosted V6.

By the way, it's going to need make more than 450 hp. The M3/M4 make 425 at the rear. Anything less than 475 at the crank won't get it done, so even 500 hp will just be a little lead in reality. The TTV8 in the C63 makes 500 without trying.
I'm sure the 3.6TT could make over 500 HP easily, such a detuned powerplant. If the rumors are true, the V+ we have been hearing about will take care of the black AMGs.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Fools left out AWD which is where the sales volume is these days.
What proof do you have that AWD high performance luxury sedans are outselling the RWD ones?

Sorry, I don't buy into the "AWD or its crap" argument. Clearly BMW didn't buy it either with the M3/M4, Lexus with their F lines, or Mercedes with the new C63 AMG.

Looking forward to the ATS-V. If my car is any indication, I think 475-500hp is very attainable with this engine.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What proof do you have that AWD high performance luxury sedans are outselling the RWD ones?

Sorry, I don't buy into the "AWD or its crap" argument. Clearly BMW didn't buy it either with the M3/M4, Lexus with their F lines, or Mercedes with the new C63 AMG.

Looking forward to the ATS-V. If my car is any indication, I think 475-500hp is very attainable with this engine.
The issue isn't that it's "crap" if it doesn't have AWD standard.

We want AWD as an option. No RWD car, I don't care what kind of driver it has, what kind of tires it has, etc. is going to make it through this:

It just won't. AWD is a necessity in Northern and Midwestern Climates.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Audi's success and continued growth....not to mention many other brands such as the latest E class Mercedes amg product line.

Like I said...I was a little rough and a little over the top calling the ATS V engineers/designers fools....as I'm sure the product will sell well enough and I'm sure it's a great car....but those in the segment that offer AWD will have greater market and sales penetration ..

Hope that helps...

I believe not offering AWD is an error.....

Jmo

Reactions: 377Z

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
V

I'm sure the 3.6TT could make over 500 HP easily, such a detuned powerplant. If the rumors are true, the V+ we have been hearing about will take care of the black AMGs.
I agree that it can, I just hope Cadillac realized where they needed to be from the beginning. The V+ rumors are great but they are just that right now.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Almost 22 years in Ohio, drove only RWD vehicles and made it without incident every winter.

Just sayin'.
I've lived in the snow belt my whole life and I've never owned an AWD vehicle.
You guys think you can make it through that kind of weather like in my picture with only RWD? I don't think any RWD car has a chance in that. The snow was so deep that my AWD ATS basically made it through by basically acting as a mini snow plow.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts