GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The best line of the review "GM has made vast improvements in their cars as of late". Very positive. It was interesting that they mentioned that it was FWD, as I don't usually hear that in TV reviews, though they go on to say how much more refined it is than previous models. Great review overall!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yeah I was shocked they didn't tear the car apart. However I read in consumer reports most older GM models (not the new ones) have a wide turning circle. He mentions it can be tighter. Why cant they correct that ? The SS also needs a 6 speed auto and Navigation, the 6 speed is more dire. Why cant GM do that for 2009 ? The new Impala has been put on hold, so make changes to the current one. Come on GM !!!!

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was shocked they didn't tear the car apart. However I read in consumer reports most older GM models (not the new ones) have a wide turning circle. He mentions it can be tighter. Why cant they correct that ? The SS also needs a 6 speed auto and Navigation, the 6 speed is more dire. Why cant GM do that for 2009 ? The new Impala has been put on hold, so make changes to the current one. Come on GM !!!!
I can only imagine the turning radius was hindered by the width of the tires.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The SS also needs a 6 speed auto and Navigation...
I second that! I think not only the SS needs the 6 speed, but it should be standard across the line. If it had the 6 speed, and maybe the navigation, I might then consider one but until then I yawn. :tired:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
GM doesn't have a FWD tranny with 6 speeds capable of handling this much torque. And if either:
1. RWD continues selling strong, or
2. Gas prices keep rising and along with CAFE, strangle V8 offerings

then GM may never have the reason to build one.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Have you ever driven the car? More gears it does not need unless it can go RWD. Its already insanely fast and the most powerful FWD car ever built. It doesn't need Nav either. The Impala is cheap and reliable transportation. The SS is cheap and reliable fast transportation. You start adding gears and nav and you just added $2500 to the price tag. That's not acceptable. Making a nav Optional would be good however.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
I can only imagine the turning radius was hindered by the width of the tires.
No, it's the platform. The W-bodies all have a really wide turning radius for their size

2007 Honda Odyssey: 201 inches long, 77 inches wide, 118.1 inch wheelbase, 235 / 65 R16 wheels, 36.7 foot turning radius

2001 Impala: 200 inches long, 73 inches wide, 110.5 inch wheelbase, 225/60 R16 wheels, 38 foot turning radius

The Chevy is 1 inch shorter, 7.6 inch shorter wheelbase, 4 inches narrower, 1 cm - aka about 0.39 inches - narrower wheels and 1.4 inch shorter wheels and it still needs an extra foot and a half to turn.

When I traded in the Chevy on the Honda, I was astonished at how much easier the Honda was to park.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Too bad GM is letting this car languish with no changes for 2009. I would liked to have seen an improvement in the seats which are too flat, hard and unsupportive. I have heard numerous new Impala owners say they liked there 2000-2005 cars seats a lot better and I echo that sentiment. I would also have liked to have seen a shift indicator on the floor shifter and a nice strip of silver or a logo on the passenger side of the dash which is a large hard piece of plain plastic. Also dropping the bodyside moldings from the std equipment list was a dumb move and XM radio should be optional and not std equipment.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Have you ever driven the car? More gears it does not need unless it can go RWD. Its already insanely fast and the most powerful FWD car ever built. It doesn't need Nav either. The Impala is cheap and reliable transportation. The SS is cheap and reliable fast transportation. You start adding gears and nav and you just added $2500 to the price tag. That's not acceptable. Making a nav Optional would be good however.
It's not the most powerful FWD car ever built. If you're speaking power to weight ratio, things like the Cobalt SS turbo or the Dodge Caliber trump it.

If you're speaking raw power, the early 1970s Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs offered 400+ cubic inch V8s with front wheel drive.

But more importantly, extra gears only help performance and economy. So a six speed auto Impala SS would be faster and more fuel efficient - where is the downside? Under the current configuration, the Impala SS with 235/50R18 tires plus 2.93 final drive and 0.71 fourth gear, the Impala SS runs at about 1540 RPMs at 60 mph. Some of the time, it can drop into 4-cylinder mode. But with a six speed auto, it could run at 60 mph at 1300 RPMs - maybe less.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I was standing outside a Barnes and Noble the other day when an SS accelerated from a red light. What a wonderful sound. So refreshing.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Too bad GM is letting this car languish with no changes for 2009. I would liked to have seen an improvement in the seats which are too flat, hard and unsupportive. I have heard numerous new Impala owners say they liked there 2000-2005 cars seats a lot better and I echo that sentiment. I would also have liked to have seen a shift indicator on the floor shifter and a nice strip of silver or a logo on the passenger side of the dash which is a large hard piece of plain plastic. Also dropping the bodyside moldings from the std equipment list was a dumb move and XM radio should be optional and not std equipment.
I have a 2007 LTZ and I think the seats are fine. I love the turn by turn nav. All cars should have OnStar in my opinion. It is simple to use and is always up to date. I have no problem getting it into gear even if I have to look at the speedo instead of the shifter..I have XM but if times get tough I do not need to subscribe to it.
GM is making strides. Just listen to how petty the complaints are getting on a car that is on an old platform. I can't wait to see the next generation Impala!

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
I owned a 2001 Impala and put 134,000 miles on it. I had a 2006 Impala 3LT (a trim that has since been dropped) with the 3.9 as a rental for a few days.

Compared to the 2001, the 2006 handled unbelievably well, had a classier interior and exterior, and had a very noticeable amount of extra power on tap. Plus of course tons of space and great crash safety. The only downside was fuel economy. I averaged most 27-28 mpg in my 2001, and 23 in the rental, and I did not "drive it like I stole it".

The 2006 was decent, but a few things kept it from being great:
1. Road noise was pronounced, just like in the 2001. Most other sedans and small SUVs I've been in are much quieter.
2. The stereo was poor, just like in the 2001. I understand the upgraded stereo available in the Impala is really good, but the default doesn't sound as good as the one we had in our 1997 Mercury Tracer, my parent's 1999 Ford Econoline, or in our 2003 Honda CRV.
3. Less back seat space than you would expect for a car that big.
4. Decent but not great seat comfort.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Well, I currently have a 2005 Impala LS (black) and a 2007 Impala SS (white). Love both cars. Prefer the front grill of the '05, has a bolder look to it, the '07 is plain and bland looking. Like the round taillights of the '05 which was the trademark of Impala's from the 50's & 60's, but I can live with the '07 taillights. Liked the seats in the '05, but IMO the '07 seats are more comfortable and better looking, plus you seem to be riding higher in the '07, the '05 seems to be lower to the road for some reason. The ride in the '07 is smoother and quieter and definitely has a tighter feeling than the '05 model, pretty close to what you expect from a Buick. The '07 is definitely a blast to drive with the V8 and is a real rocket. Everyone comments on the exhaust note and muted rumble, how cool it sounds. My friends say it just sounds fast. Both cars have BS moldings. I agree with you on the floor shifter and a SS dash logo would be cool. XM is optional, you don't have to sign up for a membership after the free 3 months. BTW, Both cars are leased (3 yr/36k) and have been trouble free, just oil & filter changes
One improvement would be to replace the gold bowtie on front grill with bold SS lettering, lit with LED would be nice touch

·
Registered
149 Posts
The '08 Impala SS that they tested is identical to my '06, except that mine has the wood trim on the dash, which I like much more than that other metallic looking stuff.

This IS a great car; it's fast as hell, rides great, looks sleek, if not a bit subdued, but, as long as they aren't coming out with a totally remodeled Impala anytime soon, they should make just a few changes which could keep the current model going for a few more years, and here they are:

1. Revised front and rear clips: they could easily put a Malibu-like nose on this car, and please, please, re-fresh the rear with some round taillights, instead of those triangular-shaped things that seem to be on almost every car now. This is the Chevrolet Impala, for heaven's sake: it needs 3 round tailights per side!! The 1965 Impala taillights are what I'm thinking; larger but still have them standing out from the sloping decklid.

2. Beef up the seating: one of the very few real gripes I have is that the seating, especially in the front, is a little "lean"; not very cushy or supportive, especially on a long drive.

3: Improve the quietness, just a bit: I admit that I'm spoiled, since I had a 2002 Cadillac Deville before this Impala, but I do really miss that Caddy quiet as I'm shooting down the freeway; they certainly could add just a bit more sound-deadening stuff to cut the noise down just a wee bit.

4: Larger dash cover/cowl/whatever: The audio system readout (clock, radio station, etc.) is very tough to read during the day; either recess the center stack an inch or two into the instrument panel, or increase the overhang of the dash cover just a bit; that would help. Also, I know I've mentioned this before, but the name "CHEVROLET" is no place to be found on this car (at least on my '06); and I still think that Chevy could spend another $3.00 per Impala and light up that jumping deer logo on the right side of the dash, above the glove box; it would look awesome at night, when the IP lights are on.

I'll be ready for another one in a year or two, and I'd definitely buy another if they made the changes I'm talking about. The Malibu is nice, but just a bit too small to suit me. The Impala is selling great, so freshen it up a bit, before the '06 and '07 buyers start looking for something else in another year or two.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you're speaking raw power, the early 1970s Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs offered 400+ cubic inch V8s with front wheel drive.
I think the 1970 Toronado GT's 455 cu in was rated @ 370hp with about 450 ft lbs thru a 3 speed North/South FWD trans (THM425). I dont know if the Eldo ever had the 500cu in or just the 472 also with a N/S FWD trans.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts