1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Overall good review other than..."the tranmission isn't as refined as the one in the Civic SI".

I guess we call transmissions refined when they decide on their own whether or not to go into gear.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I guess we call transmissions refined when they decide on their own whether or not to go into gear.
Well of course... Honda meant to do that - it's the car that drives itself! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very nice review, didn't hate on the dash being hard or somewhat dated styling wise. This is a phenominal car with capability! Me hopes to ownz one dis summer:D

CobaltSS
I have never felt the dash dated, just uninspiring! Hell my CTS dash is less than desireable! I thought you had an SS?

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
not yet, inspiring/dated = mean same thing to me:) but at least intuitive and well placed, cannot argue with that.

no SS yet, but soon. and if luck comes my way (happy st pattys day) very soon

CobaltSS

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well if you are acquiring new, then your wait was a good thing, if used, not bad either! best luck

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
Overall pretty good. At least it seems to be more of an "everyday" review and seems fair.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Overall pretty good. At least it seems to be more of an "everyday" review and seems fair.
What would you describe as "not everyday" review? Not at all trying to be combative, I just don't understand?

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
What would you describe as "not everyday" review? Not at all trying to be combative, I just don't understand?
By that I mean that they aren't getting caught up in the little details or the nitty-gritty that some reviews get into -- and by extension possibly passed poor judgement or given a negative review in the process.

For example, cars have gotten so good in recent years that folks seem to complain about smaller and smaller details just to have something to complain about. Otherwise, it would be purely a subjective reason to make a purchase (I like the way it looks) rather than an objective one (it runs like crap).

I remember reading a 7 way mid-sized/family car comparison in one of the US monthly car magazines where the Aura finished mid-pack. They had a few legit gripes (4-speed auto on the base I4, 'noisey' I4, etc) - but then they spent a paragraph and a half complaining about the truck hatch. It seems they hated reaching low to pull up the truck when you opened it with the remote control. They would have preferred a truck that springs open immediately, etc.

It seemed their biggest complain -- and the car finished lower in the pack than some main competitors.

Now this is somewhat simplistic, but when your biggest gripe is that you have fingerprint marks on the truck-lid b/c it didn't "pop open high enough" for you, then you're basically getting off easy. Compared to cars in the past and real legit complaints regarding poor build quality, poor materials, etc we almost have it too good when all we have to b-tch about is trucklids and fingerprints.

This review, by comparison, wasn't really like that. It seemed to be more of an "everyday" comparison in that any average joe could have possibly done it. It was less nit-picky and more "real world". It wasn't focused on the number of cup holders or if a single piece of interior trim destroyed the whole ambiance of the ****pit, etc. That's kind of what I meant and why I liked it.

If you've ever read car-reviews on www.familycar.com they are much more like this -- less cliche BS and more real world feel.

Just my two cents....

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By that I mean that they aren't getting caught up in the little details or the nitty-gritty that some reviews get into -- and by extension possibly passed poor judgement or given a negative review in the process.

For example, cars have gotten so good in recent years that folks seem to complain about smaller and smaller details just to have something to complain about. Otherwise, it would be purely a subjective reason to make a purchase (I like the way it looks) rather than an objective one (it runs like crap).

I remember reading a 7 way mid-sized/family car comparison in one of the US monthly car magazines where the Aura finished mid-pack. They had a few legit gripes (4-speed auto on the base I4, 'noisey' I4, etc) - but then they spent a paragraph and a half complaining about the truck hatch. It seems they hated reaching low to pull up the truck when you opened it with the remote control. They would have preferred a truck that springs open immediately, etc.

It seemed their biggest complain -- and the car finished lower in the pack than some main competitors.

Now this is somewhat simplistic, but when your biggest gripe is that you have fingerprint marks on the truck-lid b/c it didn't "pop open high enough" for you, then you're basically getting off easy. Compared to cars in the past and real legit complaints regarding poor build quality, poor materials, etc we almost have it too good when all we have to b-tch about is trucklids and fingerprints.

This review, by comparison, wasn't really like that. It seemed to be more of an "everyday" comparison in that any average joe could have possibly done it. It was less nit-picky and more "real world". It wasn't focused on the number of cup holders or if a single piece of interior trim destroyed the whole ambiance of the ****pit, etc. That's kind of what I meant and why I liked it.

If you've ever read car-reviews on www.familycar.com they are much more like this -- less cliche BS and more real world feel.

Just my two cents....
Got it, so you are about the opinions of the details! Me too I suppose, but I like that on this review there was a lot of driving footage form outside and from w/i the cabin! Familycar is pretty basic IMO

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
Got it, so you are about the opinions of the details! Me too I suppose, but I like that on this review there was a lot of driving footage form outside and from w/i the cabin! Familycar is pretty basic IMO
Family Car is basic, but I think it has its place as well -- even, if as you say, it's rather bare bones.

I agree, the more footage the better.

Yeah, my response to people's opinions are based alot on how they derive them themselves. If the details dont match, I dont pay attention to it as much or just use it as an example of what's wrong with journalism, etc. The example of the Aura is a prime case of this. It isnt' a bad car by any stretch -- but something so small counting for so much gets to you after awhile...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

Just my two cents....

Very good post. :yup: I remember the review to which you refer, it was by Car and Driver. As you said, they went on and on about the Aura's trunk release but gave the top-ranked Accord a complete pass on the fact that it had by far the longest stopping distance in the comparo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.