GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have to buy a new car again and I cant wait for the Cobalt or the G6, so I have narrowed down my choices to the Pontiac Vibe with AWD or the Saturn Ion Quad Coupe 3. Im a young guy, so I dont really have a lot of car buying experience. But I do have a lot of experience with the Vibe. I like it, but Im also looking at the Ion because I wanted a little more individuality. I havent ever driven the Ion but in black with a carbon fiber interior it looked pretty dang good.....in black you cant see those nasty spaces as much. So I was wondering how the Ion drives? How reliable is the transmission really? And which would you buy: the Vibe or the Ion?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
The 4wd and more usable room would sell me on the Vibe.
The center mounted console turns me off the Ion completely.

So, for me, Vibe all the way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Feb 8 2004, 06:37 PM
The 4wd and more usable room would sell me on the Vibe.
The center mounted console turns me off the Ion completely.

So, for me, Vibe all the way.
yah, the vibe seems like the more usable car, but I really wouldnt mind the center console, makes the car a little more unique. This is a tough desicion....hmmmm

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Keep in mind the Vibe with AWD has the base engine, it's not exactly like a Subaru WRX with AWD ;) .

I'd buy a base Vibe i black, and maybe put a dealer installed supercharger in it about a year down the line.

Too bad you can't wait - the Vibe is getting a fresh new face this summer.

There is something attractive about the ION I can't quite put my finger on, though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 8 2004, 09:16 PM
Keep in mind the Vibe with AWD has the base engine, it's not exactly like a Subaru WRX with AWD ;) .

I'd buy a base Vibe i black, and maybe put a dealer installed supercharger in it about a year down the line.

Too bad you can't wait - the Vibe is getting a fresh new face this summer.

There is something attractive about the ION I can't quite put my finger on, though.
I actually prefer the edgy look the current vibe has compared to the 05....I know what you mean about the ion, it has some strange attraction.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by SilverZ@Feb 8 2004, 11:42 PM
The AWD on the vibe sucks ***. Get the ION.
I have been driving a friends vibe for the whole winter and I know that aint true. :D

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
vibe vibe vibe. i've had mine (base 4 cyl with 5 speed) for 20 months, and put on 65,000+ kms. fantastic... wonderful little car. and it's gonna run forever... corolla (donor car) is one of the best built cars nowadays. handles so much better than a tall mini-minivan (hahaha) deserves to. just get the 16 inch wheels... world of difference over the stock 15 inch ones. but be warned... you'll join the ranks of the pick-up truck drivers the world over: you'll be the most popular guy on moving day!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I am one of the few fans of the ION, which makes this a tough choice. Yes the Vibe has AWD and is more verstile, but the Ion has more power. The AWD Vibe has the base engine with its numbers bumped down even more, but if you could get over that I would get the Vibe if you need the extra space it provides.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Get the ION Redine if U can if not get the Vibe...How often do U really really need the AWD of the Vibe???....That's just it U don't. U should B able 2 drive a FWD car well enough 2 make it through all but the worst of weather (and then U probably shouldn't B driving)....Get the ION,but only if it's the Redine...if not get the Vibe.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I like the Ion coupe better then the sedan. I dunno wtf saturn was thiking with teh sedan, but the coupe looks cool. I would also wait for the redline. 20k and 200hp. Center mounted guages suck too. Vibe's toyota power plant needs to be wound up to make power, at least the 180hp one. Its a toss up, but ion red line vs vibe awd, i go red line. factory power adders rock.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
I say Vibe even though I have a Saturn and am very happy with it. I love my Saturn as a commuter car, but if I were in the market for a primary driver and my choices were ION and Vibe, I'd go with the Pontiac hands-down no questions asked. The ION is a neat little car, but it isn't in the same league as a comparable Vibe, IMO.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still havent decided fully, but Im leaning towards a surprise desicion..................the ION!!! It just fits my personality more. I know thats not all you should look for in a car. But I dont have a family so back seat space isnt that big an issue. I cant mod the interior better to my liking. 5 star safety. More standard power. Center guages dont bother me...that being said, Im going to take a test drive this weekend and decide after, maybe even a 24hr.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by chicubs@Feb 12 2004, 08:42 PM
Still havent decided fully, but Im leaning towards a surprise desicion..................the ION!!! It just fits my personality more. I know thats not all you should look for in a car. But I dont have a family so back seat space isnt that big an issue. I cant mod the interior better to my liking. 5 star safety. More standard power. Center guages dont bother me...that being said, Im going to take a test drive this weekend and decide after, maybe even a 24hr.
well fine choice man! you'll be pleased, i bet. i suggested you choose the vibe, but you won't go wrong with the ion. more likeable engine in the ion, i think. send along some pics when you get your car! this your first car?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by paul8488+Feb 12 2004, 09:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Feb 12 2004, 09:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chicubs@Feb 12 2004, 08:42 PM
Still havent decided fully, but Im leaning towards a surprise desicion..................the ION!!!  It just fits my personality more.  I know thats not all you should look for in a car.  But I dont have a family so back seat space isnt that big an issue.  I cant mod the interior better to my liking.  5 star safety.  More standard power.  Center guages dont bother me...that being said, Im going to take a test drive this weekend and decide after, maybe even a 24hr.
well fine choice man! you'll be pleased, i bet. i suggested you choose the vibe, but you won't go wrong with the ion. more likeable engine in the ion, i think. send along some pics when you get your car! this your first car? [/b][/quote]
I will definately post some pics and then post it in the garage. This is the first car I have actually owned, so I am extremly excited:D :D So this is pretty awesome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow thats a tough one.

I have a 2003 Toyota Echo, and from experience, it's a pretty impressive piece of machinery, even being a cheap-car. It's very smooth, gets great mileage, and hasn't let us down save for a faulty spring on the gas-door release lever.

So, I'd definately be inclined towards the Vibe which is essentially the Echo's big brother (though adopted by another family, of course) ;)

On the other hand, I love the interior of the Echo... The center mount console is really a novel, ingenius approach to the dash. It takes all of 5 miles to get used to, and even switching back and forth between that and a conventional dash (I also have an 03 Sonoma) is effortless. I also like the unique styling of the Ion, and hate body dings with a passion, so it would be a total draw for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts