GM Inside News Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Good news comes to those that wait, Holden will have a car thats highly profitable that will help them stay a viable concern to sell thats and fun to drive again .

The C8 is the first Corvette available as right-hand drive

The Corvette is going global.

Note: Image above is a flipped version of an original left-hand-drive Corvette C8 official photo.
It took them only 66 years and an eighth generation, but Chevrolet has finally engineered the Corvette with a right-hand-drive layout. The C8 is the very first ‘Vette to come in a RHD setup straight from the factory, which makes it more appealing for those driving on the correct left side of the road.

The fact that it’s available only with an eight-speed, dual-clutch automatic transmission and not a good old manual gearbox made it easier for Chevy to move the steering wheel and just two pedals on the right side during the development phase. The decision to create a right-hand-drive version makes the C8 the first truly global Corvette, although it remains to be seen in which RHD markets the mid-engined supercar is going to be offered.

For what it’s worth, Holden has already confirmed it will sell the car Down Under
. Following the car’s big debut a few hours ago in Tustin, California, Holden’s Chairman and Managing Director, Dave Buttner, declared: “The news that Corvette will now be built in right-hand-drive for the first time ever – and will be exported to Australia – is hugely exciting for our team at Holden and any Australian who loves high performance cars. “

LINK

Great news, it's shame GMC don't go global and RHD with the Canyon & Sierra.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah the Corvette is a great committment from GM to RHD. Just wished it was badged as a Holden. Would of been a great halo car for the brand - which is the whole point of cars like this. Either way it will bring a lot of buzz to Holden showrooms.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Yeah the Corvette is a great committment from GM to RHD. Just wished it was badged as a Holden. Would of been a great halo car for the brand - which is the whole point of cars like this. Either way it will bring a lot of buzz to Holden showrooms.
I have to wonder what the for traffic will be confronted with. Colorados seem to be the filler of choice with an occasional Trax or Acadia. Even less common Camaros that are too small for most people will be a close price point. I'm excited for the Corvette, but it's not like it's going to drive for traffic for other products. The gap is too wide. Maybe stick a Caddy in there somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Here's another question without notice: of Lansing do work out how to build RHD l, and the CTS make it here (6 or 4) should it be a Caddy or a Holden, and if the latter, what would you call them? Would you dare resurrect a name from the past (Statesman perhaps)

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
DeVille (without Statesman) perhaps if they want a name. It's a while since it has been used here. I think I would just leave it as a Cadillac CTS or whatever the vehicle is called in the US. I have seen posts on ChinaCarForums of the CT4 and it looks good but really the exterior could have been a Toyota/Lexus/Mazda etx if it had a different grille and badge. It is generic (rather than bland).
I too look forward to seeing Corvettes on the street, especially as the Mustang does nothing for me and there are heaps around but I agree with Mick that it is hardly likely to draw people in to buy other products at the dealership.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think if they were going to bring in a RWD Caddy, it could be badged as a Calais starting in the high 50s. With Base Commodore maybe continuing in 2.0 turbo front wheel drive form either from Opel or Buick in China.

Otherwise they may create a brand new badge for it (Catera?). From a sales perspective they would be get more milage from a V8 petrol Colorado and a workmate type 2.5 petrol cab chassis Colorado starting around 23k. But a RWD sedan could be the decent anchor product for the rest of the range.

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Holden Statesman DeVille actually had a Cadillac badge or what looks like a Cadillac badge

It was a Holden badge with a Cadillac like Wreath

Initially badged Statesman By Holden (the By Holden was in smaller script)

·
Banned
370 Posts
Holden Statesman DeVille actually had a Cadillac badge or what looks like a Cadillac badge

It was a Holden badge with a Cadillac like Wreath

Initially badged Statesman By Holden (the By Holden was in smaller script)
That was my second guess. I just couldn’t find a higher res image to confirm. But I do remember the Holden badge with a wreath from the late Statesman (WK?)

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Here's another question without notice: of Lansing do work out how to build RHD l, and the CTS make it here (6 or 4) should it be a Caddy or a Holden, and if the latter, what would you call them? Would you dare resurrect a name from the past (Statesman perhaps)
Too late in the program, last Alphas are done
and now the wait for GM’s new modular architecture in 2025.

It might be easier for Holden to get some rebadged Stingers.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
GM’s priorities are simply staggering, no factory RHD for Camaro or Cadillac Alphas but yes to C8 Corvette.

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
GM’s priorities are simply staggering, no factory RHD for Camaro or Cadillac Alphas but yes to C8 Corvette.
IN another thread I posted a video about th ere manufacture process to take a Camaro and make it RHD

When the Camaro is stripped down (they explain in the video they need to do this mainly to access the wiring harness) you can clearly see how the vehicle was designed with RHD in mind.

The only reason not to build the car in RHD would be just plain arrogant lazyiness from GM

Sales gone begging

I can see what will happen when RHD sales start coming on in numbers that start to make some sense they will then decide to go with Factory RHD and put the Aussie guys out of work at Walkinshaw

That would be typical GM thinking

·
Registered
449 Posts
The reason the car market is dropping is because people are moving to public transport. Car sales are down but public transport is way up. When the north west metro opened it took 20,000 vehicles a week off the M2 motorway. Sydney has spent $10 billion on new public transport in the north west metro and the new light rail line. Another $10 billion on the currently under construction cbd metro and the western metro will be another $20 billion at least. Part one of the westconnex has opened up but people are avoiding the tolls and taking parramatta road instead because of the tolls.

Melbourne is also spending many billions on new rail projects in the metro tunnel and the proposed outer loop line. Everywhere you look there is new public transport and with no manufacturing in this country any more there is no loyalty to cars.

The American managers that took over from Hanenburger just did not understand the Australian Market. Holden and Ford sold there product in the fleet, taxi and emergency industry sector. The cars were guaranteed sellers in the second hand market. Now these sectors are full of vehicles which don't sell in the second hand market and so these sectors are keeping there vehicles for longer before renewing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The corvette will not sell at all in Australia. If the Commodore is only selling 500 a month if that. What makes you think the corvette will sell. 2 door cars do not sell well in Australia if they don't have a tray.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I found out some news yesterday that my local Holden dealer - Hamilton Holden & HSV at Somerton Park (Adelaide) has recently acquired an MG franchise! Hamilton Holden is one of the very few remaining stand alone Holden dealers here in SA and there were rumors that it was going to close, so to hear that they've now taken on the MG brand gives me hope that they'll be sticking around, more so because that's where I get the Astra serviced and is my closest Holden deralership. They also have HSV and Chevrolet products in the showroom.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Holden dealers are lucky to have quite good service retention levels, mainly due to the introduction of capped price servicing a few years ago. The decline is sales began about 2 years ago, so dealers have got maybe another 2 years before their customer's returning for services decline to the point where the workshop and parts sales will no longer cover the losses that are happening in the sales area.

Some dealers may experience it even sooner. The smarter dealers have already picked up another franchise to cover the loss of Holden volume. There will be no such thing as a stand-alone Holden franchise soon, as the brand is simply not viable with their existing facilities at the current sales levels.

Holden issued 5 year dealer agreements in 2018. There's no way that they will want to go into the next round of dealer agreements wanting the same number of dealers and I expect their will be massive rationalisation of dealers over the next couple of years. GM will be hoping that dealers just go broke or hand back the franchise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Melville Holden (my local) has shared space with Suzuki since 2005ish, now it looks like they have the Nissan franchise as well.
Speaking of which, Nissan used to sit at the top end of a line of dealerships and shared space with Renault until a couple of years ago when Kia moved up the road and joined them.
Then last year the Magic Nissan part of the dealership disappeared and Kia took their place. The Nissan dealer had been there for at least 30 odd years! Sold Leaf and GT-R but not anymore... now it's just squeezed down the back of Melville Holden, hidden behind the used car section.

Brian Gardiner Holden (Cannington) has a Suzuki franchise too, which appears to have gotten bigger, alongside a big HSV center.
Fremantle Holden will be moving south to ****burn, which is a pity because it's the only dealership left over there (Ford and Toyota left around 10+ years ago). Not sure if they'll share space with another or what.

TimandHayley, how many Holden dealers left in Perth?
City is long gone and Youngs seemed to have gone solo.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts