GM Inside News Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ive heard the Ranger Raptor sales have been pretty disappointing, a good buy used though as there has been a few been put through the Ford employee fleet.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Commodore update:

Production in Rüsselsheim is to stop in November.

And there are 2 conflicting sets of information. One source claims that this is the end. And another source claims that production will resume mid-2020, facelifted model, subject to fleet demand.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Ive heard the Ranger Raptor sales have been pretty disappointing, a good buy used though as there has been a few been put through the Ford employee fleet.
At least Ford is still smiling with great 4x4 sales. Raptor sales have been doing OK but Ford has heard the Aussie performance enthusiasts and let's just say that the next Raptor will more than make up for what has passed....

What Ford has noticed is the growing number of modified XLTs and it
intends capturing more of those accessories as factory fitted packs
like the Wildtrak Plus ($6K of accessory value for $2K)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Commodore update:

And there are 2 conflicting sets of information. One source claims that this is the end. And another source claims that production will resume mid-2020, facelifted model, subject to fleet demand.
Even with the second option, will Holden even persist with the Commodore?

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Commodore update:

Ending Polish production of Astra and moving that to Russelsheim
Production hours at the plant have been cut to about a third so just
ticking over on order based production only until Astra production starts.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Even with the second option, will Holden even persist with the Commodore?
They may do better hobbling along on it for now and perhaps
relaunch the name on another vehicle if/when available.

I'm pretty sure that GM will discover the "space between"
with near car crossovers in the near future, fingers crossed..

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm referring to the Commodore only. Insignia and Regal continue. So whatever happens next year is entirely up to Holden.
They did this a while back too to stop last year build cars arriving in the following year. There are already fleet orders for 2020 Commodore, so not sure what that would mean. I suppose they could transition those sales to another car (unlikely). Typically forward fleet orders are more telling, if they stop them that is usually a bigger sign.

My crazy punt is a rebadged Cadillac CT5 with new front fascia....

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
They did this a while back too to stop last year build cars arriving in the following year. There are already fleet orders for 2020 Commodore, so not sure what that would mean. I suppose they could transition those sales to another car (unlikely). Typically forward fleet orders are more telling, if they stop them that is usually a bigger sign.

My crazy punt is a rebadged Cadillac CT5 with new front fascia....
Expensive.

·
Banned
370 Posts
How do you go from 1st to 11th or 12th in 10 years? At some point Holden was expanding, exporting to South Korea and China.

Here is revised look for new models....
Just a Corsa face on Insignia. I believe replacement is due 2022 for Opel.

Where will Buick get its replacement now that Opel is not a part of GM? Sedans are still popular, I think, in the People's Republic of China.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
How do you go from 1st to 11th or 12th in 10 years? At some point Holden was expanding, exporting to South Korea and China.

Here is revised look for new models....
Just a Corsa face on Insignia. I believe replacement is due 2022 for Opel.

Where will Buick get its replacement now that Opel is not a part of GM? Sedans are still popular, I think, in the People's Republic of China.
the answer is in the question.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts

Buick may add a line in China, approx 100K/year in China alone
so why not make there instead of importing from Germany..

Holden could take RHD version of that car maybe built at
one in ten or one in twelve down Chinese production line.
Lower cost centre than high cost Germany (win win.)

QED

·
Registered
246 Posts
As silly as this might sound to some people, this is something that would bring customers back into Holden dealerships.
Well if there was a company that didnt play to its strengths its Holden. No marketing emphasis on its Australian heritage - no advertising on its design and engineering facilities, its proving grounds... No V8s to harness the significant performance heritage and investment in motorsport.

The sad thing is, while Holden may struggle with selling econoboxes, the Hyundais and Kias of the world would kill for its history and reputation in the performance space. Holden could sell a V8 Colorado, V8 US pickup or performance RWD sedan tomorrow and they would hit the top of the segments.

Even towards the end Holden were selling 1,200 V8s a month even in dying segments (sedans, wagons, LWB sedans and 2wd 2 door Utes). Hell if GM can sell the Low Forward Cab with a 6.0 V8, the Colorado should be no problem.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Well if there was a company that didnt play to its strengths its Holden. No marketing emphasis on its Australian heritage - no advertising on its design and engineering facilities, its proving grounds... No V8s to harness the significant performance heritage and investment in motorsport.

The sad thing is, while Holden may struggle with selling econoboxes, the Hyundais and Kias of the world would kill for its history and reputation in the performance space. Holden could sell a V8 Colorado, V8 US pickup or performance RWD sedan tomorrow and they would hit the top of the segments.

Even towards the end Holden were selling 1,200 V8s a month even in dying segments (sedans, wagons, LWB sedans and 2wd 2 door Utes). Hell if GM can sell the Low Forward Cab with a 6.0 V8, the Colorado should be no problem.

That is all down to obeying head office.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Holden did better when it was more independent. GMNA only understand cost-cutting and short-term profits.
It was more independent in the times of Peter Hannenberger, and doing well, but GMNA didnt like that they were being handed their a$$ on a platter on how to do things properly on a shoestring, so they sent out Denny Mooney to show Holden the 'merican way, and it, well sorta, all went downhill from there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I dont know, I think GM US has been pretty good to Holden recently - Holden just needs car people to steer the ship. Trying to make a Kia Junior is not going to work. If Holden pushed a V8 program for Thai Colorado, they could probably get it approved. The V8 is cheaper to make than the diesel, and they could charge an extra few grand over the diesel whilst also selling significantly more cars. Its the segment busting or segment creating risks thats when Holden shone and was the most profitable. A V8 Colorado would suddenly make the $60k 2.8 litre Hiluxes and 2.0 litre Ranger diesels look very pedestrian.

I just dont think vehicle programs are being pushed. Just feels like Holden has a retail strategy and not a product strategy.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
I dont know, I think GM US has been pretty good to Holden recently - Holden just needs car people to steer the ship. Trying to make a Kia Junior is not going to work. If Holden pushed a V8 program for Thai Colorado, they could probably get it approved. The V8 is cheaper to make than the diesel, and they could charge an extra few grand over the diesel whilst also selling significantly more cars. Its the segment busting or segment creating risks thats when Holden shone and was the most profitable. A V8 Colorado would suddenly make the $60k 2.8 litre Hiluxes and 2.0 litre Ranger diesels look very pedestrian.

I just dont think vehicle programs are being pushed. Just feels like Holden has a retail strategy and not a product strategy.
Holden has no customers, they are all inter linked.

A V8 doesn't Fit in Colorado - not without contravening GM's Factory ft engine bay tolerance, otherwise HDT and Walkinshaw would already be doing that.
that and the whole thing would require new crash tests so there's another million bucks.

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Holden has no customers, they are all inter linked.

A V8 doesn't Fit in Colorado - not without contravening GM's Factory ft engine bay tolerance, otherwise HDT and Walkinshaw would already be doing that.
that and the whole thing would require new crash tests so there's another million bucks.
V8 fits easily

Harrop and killa customs have been doing them for years

41 - 60 of 81 Posts