GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You Asked, We Delivered: Vehicles for Canadians

Toonies, loonies and a devout devotion to hockey are just a few of the things that make our country unique. Canadians are distinct and have unique needs and General Motors recognizes this. For the 2004 and 2005 model year, General Motors of Canada is offering several great cars that you can't get anywhere else in North America. Canadian consumers have created the strongest demand for vehicles in the small and mid-size segments, and these new vehicle introductions are aimed at the heart of that market.

This impressive, only in Canada line-up includes the 2004 Chevrolet Epica and Optra sedans that landed in dealerships last fall, the all-new 2004 Optra5 model having recently arrived in dealerships and the all-new 2005 Optra Wagon arriving later this year. This past January at the Montreal Auto Show, Pontiac showcased the all-new 2005 Pontiac Wave and at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto, the 2005 Pontiac Pursuit, both also to be available only in Canada. You asked and we delivered stylish cars suited for everyone from first-time car buyers and young families to those looking for style without the luxury price-tag. Take your pick!

Here are the highlights:

2005 Chevrolet Optra: Wagon
Just recently unveiled, the introduction of a wagon to the Optra family offers young Canadian families the space and functionality they need, and the performance and practicality they desire. Optra wagon houses a spirited 2.0-litre, 16-valve DOHC inline 4-cylinder engine that delivers 119 horsepower at 5400 rpm and 126 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm. Rated an Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (ULEV), the Optra wagon is also remarkably fuel-efficient.

2004 Chevrolet Optra: Sedan and 5-door
The Optra is a stylish, functional and sporty small car. The Optra5 just hitting dealers now cements Chevrolet's presence in the growing hatchback segment. The Optra sedan and 5-door model offer a surprising level of comfort and convenience with its spacious and stylish interior and numerous storage compartments. Available in either base or LS trim, in both 4 and 5-door, the Chevrolet Optra is ideal for young Canadian families who are looking for a functional, dependable car with a generous level of standard equipment at an attractive price. The sedan and 5-door models share the same fuel-efficient 2.0L DOHC engine as the Optra Wagon.

2004 Chevrolet Epica: Sedan
The Epica can be summed up as unexpected sophistication and luxury without the burden of a luxury car price tag. With an incredible 2.5L DOHC, 24-valve, in-line 6-cylinder engine with variable intake system, the Epica gives 155 horsepower with 177 lb-ft of torque. The Epica comes standard with a 4-speed auto transmission with a standard gated shifter.

2005 Pontiac Wave: Sedan and 5-door
The Pontiac Wave stays true to the Pontiac image, incorporating sleek styling with peppy performance. The Wave houses a 1.6L DOHC engine generating 103 hp and 107 lb.-ft. of torque mated with a 4-speed automatic. While fun to drive, the Wave provides plenty of room for 5 passengers and offers an impressive list of standard equipment for its class. The Wave will arrive in dealerships fall 2004.

2005 Pontiac Pursuit: Sedan
The Canada-only Pursuit will bring a new level of small car refinement, quality and performance to the market. It is built on GM's Delta architecture and features a clean, contemporary design, spacious interior and excellent dynamic performance. Starting production in the fourth quarter of 2004, the Pursuit will be introduced as a sedan with a coupe to follow.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jun 1 2004, 05:24 PM
Optra wagon houses a spirited 2.0-litre, 16-valve DOHC inline 4-cylinder engine that delivers 119 horsepower at 5400 rpm and 126 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm.
okay, i even like the optra family of vehicles... but spirited? nice try GM... not gonna fool anyone here! as for fuel efficient, the fuel economy rating as listed on the window sticker isn't very impressive. heck, the impala beats it!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Of course we also get a few unique vehicle people might actually want to own, like the Acura EL (Acura-ized Civic), and especially the X-type wagon (available in Europe and Canada, but not the US).

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The EL is a Civic with optional leather interior.
I don't know why anyone would pay the premium for that.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Jun 1 2004, 02:34 PM
The EL is a Civic with optional leather interior.
I don't know why anyone would pay the premium for that.
Agreed--but they do.

As for this "impressive line-up" of Canadian-only vehicles, they are all just re-badged Suzukis and Chevrolets so they are not really exclusive to Canada at all, just unique nameplates. They're all pretty mediocre cars--not bad, but won't set fire to the sales charts--but I do think that they will have the effect of confusing GM's line-up (Malibu vs. Epica; Epica vs. Cobalt; Cobalt vs. Pursuit; Aveo vs. Wave vs. Swift).

The Aveo, btw, still looks like a bad joke, even with a Pontiac badge stuck on the front of it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Aveo5's are plentiful as are the Optra's.

Epica's however...

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
On the chev side, I actually like the Optra a lot in "5" and wagon form. Sedan is just ok. GM should sell it in the US also. Epica is not so great and it's not selling well as far as I can see, $2-3 K in incentives right now.

Pursuit is just a Cobalt though it should be an excellent small car. Wave is just the Aveo, big deal.

Small cars sell well here and GM is scooping market share up so the strategy seems to be working. I see lots of Optras and Aveos now!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by TimR@Jun 1 2004, 11:34 AM
What about the GTO??? We could add a few more to their slow sales so far...

Tim
GTO aint gonna happen up here until they re-design the bumpers to meet the higher bump test. IIRC canada asks for a 5km/h bumper test but in the USA it is only 2.5km/h

The same issue prevents the VW GTI R32, and the VW Beetle Turbo S from coming up here.
I think there are a few more cars banned in Canada but I forget.

(try this link below from Transport Canada, it will give you a PDF document)

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/us_vehicle_...issibility.html

It sucks, i agree that we should be allowed to buy them but GM cannot import them to our country. Hopefully with the next generation of GTO's we will get some north of the border.

Or if you read the fine print in that TC pdf, you CAN import ANY passenger car from ANYWHERE, as long as it is 15 years old (or more) So go out there and buy your GTO, park it in some garage and sometime in 2019 or thereabouts you can import it to Canada! :laughbounce:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Not having the Toyota MR2 Spyder is probably the most bitched-about missing car here in Canada. It won't pass crash tests here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How about the Mitsu Lancer EVO.
They had a nice yellow one at the toronto auto show, and everyone (including me) was excited. Upon asking the Mitsu people, "no we arent selling it in canada"
:argue:

I have driven the Optra 5, and while I like the styling, the engine doesnt seem to do it justice. And I would get the Malibu over the similar priced Epica.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
has anyone driven the epica? reviews i've read say the inline-6, though a little underpowered, is the smoothest unit this side of BMW. if it was a little sexier and a little more powerful it'd be a nice alternative to the malibu, but as it sits i think it's kinda weak.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Jun 2 2004, 12:47 PM
has anyone driven the epica? reviews i've read say the inline-6, though a little underpowered, is the smoothest unit this side of BMW. if it was a little sexier and a little more powerful it'd be a nice alternative to the malibu, but as it sits i think it's kinda weak.
Weak is right. The new 2.4L Ecotec 4 cyl is rated at 170HP and 170ft-lbs.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I really don't understand the need for the Epica in the mix with the Malibu and even Implala. As well as the Suzuki Verona the car doesn't make sense because there wasn't any void in the model line-up.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by doh@Jun 2 2004, 08:02 PM
I really don't understand the need for the Epica in the mix with the Malibu and even Implala. As well as the Suzuki Verona the car doesn't make sense because there wasn't any void in the model line-up.
i think it's a very specific, targeted car. it' aimed directly at (as far as i can see) cars like the hyundai sonata, XG350, and the kia magentis. those buyers likely wouldn't consider a malibu (though i think it's a much better value). the epica just screams pseudo-luxury like those other korean models, and is a viable alternative. chev is on it's way to becoming a stand-alone, full-line nameplate! might end up stretching themselves a little thin though...

as for the verona, suzuki's lineup pretty well IS a void, so anything they can add is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But the XG350 is a higher end vehicle, and demographically different than the Epica buyer.

The Kia Amanti is: $34,995
The Hyundai XG350 is $32,995

Better competition:
The Kia Magentis is $22,250 - $28,750
The Sonata is $22,395 - $27,395

The Epica is $24,710 - $27,245

Direct comparison of the top model Epica vs the top Sonata:
Carpoint

After checking stats side by side, I'd go for the Hyundai. Better warranty. A little more power.
Only negative, is no traction control.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts