GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So i didn't really know where to put this. Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

Anyway, I was just wondering. with the VE SV6 would you be able to have the original head unit (see below) removed and replaced by a 'SS' LCD 6 stacker head unit?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts

I would expect them to be modular, plug and play setups, with a high level of compatibility. You can order the GPS setup (1290) or the 6 stacker (590) as an option so all things would point to yes. The only minor concern I would have is some possible ECU issues, drawn from the fact that both options are from the factory, but that's a highly unlikely assumption.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh. Well hopefully this is the case. Getting a long way ahead of myself already even thinking of owning an SV6 but i really dislike the whole SV6 stereo layout. Too bland and bare. Plus a single non mp3 disc player is pretty lousy.

Thing I'm interested in is the air con controls, because they seem to be Climate Control in all models with a 7 inch LCD. Would this be an issue. I probably should just go to the Holden dealer and ask but they are terrible and generally have no idea what they are talking about. I'll fire an email off to GM Holden and see what comes of it.

Cheers for the tip.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha no worries. I'll see if i can get a definitive answer. If so I'll let you know. I'm sure climate control wouldn't be overly hard to install and that expensive. I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Holden weren't much help. Email from them-

Thank you for your email.

We advise that alternate centre consoles are not offered as an option or accessory for the VE SV6. As such, we are unable to provide an accurate response to you enquiry.

We therefore suggest you contact your local Holden Dealer as they may be able to provide some further assistance in this matter.

Thank you for your interest in our products.
Ahh well

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha yer. When you consider the Pontiac G8 Sedan has a sound and comfort package that gives you the screen, 6 stacker MP3 player and climate control, there has to be a way. No new car shouldn't have a MP3 compatible CD player.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
i cant believe the VE isnt MP3 compatible, my mrs VZ is just a run of the mill stocker an it does MP3, mind you it doesnt say it does MP3....

go figure hey?!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you sure about the SV6 though. No where on the site does it list MP3 compatibility where as on the SS-V which has the 7 inch screen it has 'MP3 CD 6 stacker.' I'd still like a big screen. Looks much nicer with a screen instead of a few buttons :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Are you sure about the SV6 though. No where on the site does it list MP3 compatibility where as on the SS-V which has the 7 inch screen it has 'MP3 CD 6 stacker.' I'd still like a big screen. Looks much nicer with a screen instead of a few buttons :)
I reckon the jack just below the "AUX" button on the right will be mp3 in. Go take your player to any dealership and see if it works. According to here: http://www.holden.com.au/pdf/chooseavehicle/fullfeatures/Commodore_Features_b.pdf it is optional on the SV6. (brochure is straight off the Holden.com.au website.)

Red Hot Mike

·
Registered
213 Posts
The jack is a sound input as opposed to MP3 compatiable. it will play music from IPOD's to Mobile phones. I bought a $5 cord off ebay for my sony mobile phone and have constant music. Now while it will play music it can not be controlled by the stereo controls. You must search for songs through the ipod/phone itself.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahh well thats good. I'd still prefer a mp3 disc as i wouldn't have to shift my focus to an iPod screen to change song. Better than none at all though. I am still keen to know if i could have Climate Control and the 7 inch LCD screen with 6 stacker MP3 installed. Will keep trying to find out if it is possible

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ahh well thats good. I'd still prefer a mp3 disc as i wouldn't have to shift my focus to an iPod screen to change song. Better than none at all though. I am still keen to know if i could have Climate Control and the 7 inch LCD screen with 6 stacker MP3 installed. Will keep trying to find out if it is possible
Sorry i should have also said that the stacker will also play burn't cd in mp3 amd mp4. I have burnt through nero and itunes and both play in the ve.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Baz, I checked with a local dealer today and they said no chance :(
Apparently the centre console module also contains the body control module and various other vehicle specific ECU stuff.
Ahh damn that's disappointing. cheers for that. I went to my local dealer today and they just stared at me and really had nfi. I would have liked a 7 inch screen. Might start looking for a VE Calais as i have noticed a few going relatively cheap.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
When I asked my local dealers parts guy, he sat there and thought for a moment and then had one of those "that's a bloody good idea" looks on his face. Obviously his face had changed after he asked the dudes on the shop floor.:D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I asked my local dealers parts guy, he sat there and thought for a moment and then had one of those "that's a bloody good idea" looks on his face. Obviously his face had changed after he asked the dudes on the shop floor.:D
Haha well i8 thought it was a great idea too :D lol. I may just go ask another dealer later on just to see what they say, need to be sure. The thing that is making me still think its possible is the Pontiac G8 V6 having the Sound and Comfort package which adds the SS-V style centre console with climate control and the 7 inch LCD. I suppose they probably have a differently designed dash behind the scenes.

Ahh well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts