14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vauxhall Launches Latest Generation Diesels

New generation of common rail direct injection engines
CDTi ECOTEC four cylinder engines with 120 and 150 hp
Euro 4 compliant - no tax penalty for company drivers
Multi-injection for high performance and low fuel consumption
Six-speed manual gearbox
Vauxhall is taking a major step forward in its diesel engine programme with the introduction of its latest common-rail offering.

The 1.9 CDTi ECOTEC is available in two power outputs - 120 and 150 hp - and can be ordered now in Vectra hatch and Estate, and Signum. It will also be one of the star engines when it becomes available in the new Astra, later this year.

Coupled to a new six-speed gearbox, Vauxhall?s state of the art diesel will set the standard in performance, torque, fuel efficiency and refinement. It also meets the Euro 4 emissions standard.

Both engines develop maximum torque between a very usable 2000 and 2750 rpm. The 120 hp engine produces up to 280 Nm while the 150 hp version develops a whopping
315 Nm of torque. And so performance, especially from the 150 hp version, is rather impressive - and without sacrificing fuel economy.

The two versions of the 1.9 CDTi are largely similar - each with four cylinders, a 1910 cc displacement, a turbocharger with variable turbine geometry and intercooler. However, the 150 hp version features four-valve technology. Fuel is supplied to the combustion chambers at pressures of up to 1600 bar.

Full Article Here

Also See

·
Super Moderator
10,867 Posts
Is this new engine based on an actual GM-Opel design or is it based on a Fiat design? I know that the article obviously wouldn't state it so I thought I'd ask. I know that GM-Fiat Powertrain agreed to design and build engines jointly, but wasn't sure if when released they'd use their own designations -- Fiat Auto using Multijet JTD and GM-Opel using CDTi Ecotec.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found this on a web search, but the link was dead:

First Details of the 2004 Opel Astra ... petrol and three turbo-diesel engines are planned for ... standards. A new 1.9-litre CDTI diesel with around 150 hp and ... coupled to the first of Fiat-GM Powertrain's new family ...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Both engines develop maximum torque between a very usable 2000 and 2750 rpm. The 120 hp engine produces up to 280 Nm while the 150 hp version develops a whopping
315 Nm of torque. And so performance, especially from the 150 hp version, is rather impressive - and without sacrificing fuel economy.

How does 280 Nm and 315 Nm convert into our torque number? Anyone have a formula or something??

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
These "new "engines are in fact Fiat engines.
Fiat had actually many "firsts" in Diesel technology and their diesel engines are very reliable and durable.
The first direct injection diesel car was a Fiat Croma in 1986 (?)
it had amazing gas mileage ( about 6L/100 km)
Then the second breakthrough came with the so called common rail diesel alos called JTD or later Multijet, launched by Fiat as well and adopted later by Mercedes-benz and Peugeot.
Common rail diesel are cleaner and much quieter.
GM could not find a better partner than Fiat to develop diesel engiens.
Opel performance has also a 212hp(!) twin turbo version of this 1.9L diesel in the works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts