GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,674 Posts
What? I thought it was a ski resort. Maybe you get a season pass with every GMlektrik you buy.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
5,061 Posts
What? I thought it was a ski resort. Maybe you get a season pass with every GMlektrik you buy.
I like that idea! Anyway, you're thinking of this Vail:

GM's partnership is with Vale S.A., which is best known for tailings dam failures at its mines in Brazil that killed 300 people:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
549 Posts
The cost 😱 of getting the material is probably much much less in the country of Brazil than Canada I'd say too :unsure: . :D
Not intentionally casting aspersions to the reliability of our exporting Brazilian friends, or to compare them to malevolent players like the below.

But just to say, if there is one sanguine message glaringly evident from the current European energy debacle, it may be this:

The true cost of allowing your supply of critical imports to fall beholden to the ‘in good faith’ likes and lies of Russia eg, based upon initial costs alone, may indeed not prove to be in your national interest.

Securing an in-kind resolute source of critical supply, despite perhaps an ostensibly higher quote, could end up considerably cheaper overall in the longer term.

Does the USA enjoy a closer and more rock solid supplier to the crucial, than provided by their immediate northern neighbour friend, Canada?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,553 Posts
Not intentionally casting aspersions to the reliability of our exporting Brazilian friends, or to compare them to malevolent players like the below.

But just to say, if there is one sanguine message glaringly evident from the current European energy debacle, it may be this:

The true cost of allowing your supply of critical imports to fall beholden to the ‘in good faith’ likes and lies of Russia eg, based upon initial costs alone, may indeed not prove to be in your national interest.

Securing an in-kind resolute source of critical supply, despite perhaps an ostensibly higher quote, could end up considerably cheaper overall in the longer term.

Does the USA enjoy a closer and more rock solid supplier to the crucial, than provided by their immediate northern neighbour friend, Canada?
I'd say Canada is more secure and reliable than Brazil but gm likes to be in cahoots with Brazil because they are "there".

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
5,061 Posts
I'd say Canada is more secure and reliable than Brazil but gm likes to be in cahoots with Brazil because they are "there".
Good point 1958carnut.
The GM subsidiaries Canada and Brazil both have a long history, dating back to 1918 in Canada and 1925 in Brazil.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
There's Nickel here in MN in the Iron Range and they can't get through the permitting process for a new mine.......just sayin'.

• Sad
Reactions: gkr778 and BlackGTP

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
There's Nickel here in MN in the Iron Range and they can't get through the permitting process for a new mine.......just sayin'.
And maybe if a significant and inexpensive source of nickel (and many other critical supplies) in the US becomes available, great. But until then GM (and everybody else) is trying to provide their supply chain with the needed supplies.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
And maybe if a significant and inexpensive source of nickel (and many other critical supplies) in the US becomes available, great. But until then GM (and everybody else) is trying to provide their supply chain with the needed supplies.
Don't disagree. The point was, after 8(?) years of trying to get permitted, its on again/off again process shows how broken the process is. We are shooting ourselves in the foot if we don't allow SOME of these mines, being monitored of course, to move forward.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts