GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I have also heard of thsi too. RPO code for the engine is LS4. Its an aluminum block, aluminum head, 285hp 5.3.
This info comes from someone that works for GM powertrain. The 5.3 is now certified for use in cars!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
wow, a v8 gp would be niiice!
if it only was rwd or awd...
hopefully it won't cost way too much compared with the s/c

·
Registered
790 Posts
im probably spacing a whole line of cars, but is this going to be the only GM FWD car with a V8 after caddy finishes conversion? o wait deville huh? ok well that will still only be 2....

by the way the new STS and the VeLite look badass! just saw mulitple pics of them, but they may be embargoed so i wont post them. :kama:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat@Mar 22 2004, 07:46 AM
im probably spacing a whole line of cars, but is this going to be the only GM FWD car with a V8 after caddy finishes conversion? o wait deville huh? ok well that will still only be 2....

by the way the new STS and the VeLite look badass! just saw mulitple pics of them, but they may be embargoed so i wont post them. :kama:
Bonnie GXP is a FWD, V8.
And Im sure that the Impy could get a V8 if they are going to do away with teh 3.8. I wouldnt be surprised to see one show up after the redesign.

Zeta cant get here fast enough.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Now if only they would stick a real tranny into the Grand Prix, I might take it over the Japanese and Germans. But no, this is GM we are talking about. The cars for people who don't know how to shift. :angry:

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat@Mar 22 2004, 07:46 AM
...by the way the new STS and the VeLite look badass! just saw mulitple pics of them, but they may be embargoed so i wont post them. :kama:
Thanks for the taunt, Smilingoat! ;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Pontiac should keep the V6 supercharged motor. It's a powerful motor with an excellent aftermarket and it's different. You can't put a V8 in everything. A RWD GTP would be awesome. :D

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by crazywop112@Mar 22 2004, 04:06 PM
You can't put a V8 in everything.
I dont like your attitude....

:D

and not to prolong the GP/GTO comparison, but if everyone wants a 2dr, 350hp, RWD, 6spd pontiac... THATS WHY THEY HAVE THE GTO!!
Man, GM hit a home run with the GTO, but everyone looked away as it went over the fence...

·
Registered
114 Posts
a V8 in a grand prix sounds good to me id like to see GM go against the rivals especially MB,Acura and BMW..now if we can put maybe a V8 into the G6 by 2007 GXP we can really put a dent into BMW M series and MB's AMG..OH BOY would i love to see GM finally destroy the AMG and M series and with the Solstice GXP with a high output engine we'll destroy the Z4 and SL320 haha..then all we need is a supercar to beat on the MB SLR

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
WTF are you talking about?????????

Pontiac is not going to be taking on BMW and Mercedes, thats what we have cadillac for...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by GM_Guy81@Mar 22 2004, 06:04 PM
WTF are you talking about?????????

Pontiac is not going to be taking on BMW and Mercedes, thats what we have cadillac for...
i think it was the G6 that was supossed to be a BMW fighter, but when it was released most mags said it missed its mark, bigtime. althought its cheaper, so you do have that...

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat@Mar 22 2004, 07:37 PM

i think it was the G6 that was supossed to be a BMW fighter, but when it was released most mags said it missed its mark, bigtime. althought its cheaper, so you do have that...
Since when has the G6 been out anywhere, except on a turntable at the auto shows?

It's a little premature to say it's missed it's mark.

·
Registered
756 Posts
That is what I seen at the Plant a while back only the one I was lookng at was red in color. It was a 2005 GP GXP 5.3 V8 with aluminum heads and block. It sported 18" wheels and drilled rotors. Red painted calipers and Z-rated tires. The front facia was reworked, the rear spoiler a bit larger than the regular GP's and the rear deck lid had the little logo "V8" along with the "GXP" logo. The person started it up and it sounded awfully sweet.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I'm surprised they are using the 5.3 motor. If that puts out 290-300 hp it will outshine the ultra pricey Bonny GXP with it's 275 hp 4.6. And it will make the already pricey 30k plus GTP well over that price i'm sure. Plus I have never been too thrilled with the current model's interior with it's over bolstered, hard seats with cheap nylon type material and the lando-plastic plain looking dash. It's sad cause I love the rest of the car very much. A sport red GTP with chrome rims is a nice looking car on the outside!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Originally posted by ponchoman49@Mar 22 2004, 03:44 PM
I'm surprised they are using the 5.3 motor. If that puts out 290-300 hp it will outshine the ultra pricey Bonny GXP with it's 275 hp 4.6. And it will make the already pricey 30k plus GTP well over that price i'm sure. Plus I have never been too thrilled with the current model's interior with it's over bolstered, hard seats with cheap nylon type material and the lando-plastic plain looking dash. It's sad cause I love the rest of the car very much. A sport red GTP with chrome rims is a nice looking car on the outside!
My thought exactly. Where does this leave the Bonneville? Does this mark her end?? Plus, Why a 5.3 instead of the stellar 4.6 Northstar???

<_<

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by Jay+Mar 22 2004, 04:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jay @ Mar 22 2004, 04:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ponchoman49@Mar 22 2004, 03:44 PM
My thought exactly. Where does this leave the Bonneville? Does this mark her end?? Plus, Why a 5.3 instead of the stellar 4.6 Northstar???

<_< [/b][/quote]
Because it doesn't make sense to put a more expensive engine (4.6 v 5.3) in a cheaper car (GP vs Bonneville). Besides that, if both were to be powered by the same motor, why pay extra for a larger, worse performing vehicle if what you are looking for is performance...not luxury...if you wanted luxury, you get a buick or a caddy.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by ponchoman49@Mar 22 2004, 08:44 PM
I wonder how much more the 5.3 V8 costs than the 3800 with a supercharger. I'll bet there's not all that much difference.

I'd be very leary of putting the 5.3 in a FWD car. In the trucks, this motor is making 330 lbft of torque. That would seem to be a bit much for this chassis. The 4.8 only makes 10 hp less (285) but it's torque is 35 less at 295. Even if they are detuned for car use, the 4.8 would seem like a better match to keep the torque steer to a minimum and still get better performance than the 3.8 s/c. It would sound better too.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts