GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past few years, the STS represented the top dog, sportier version of the Seville. Today, they only kept the STS name, not the SLS, so that anyone could associate the new one with the sport version from the past.

But... now there is a v6 version, inimaginable before! Yet, no one complains, not even the anti-domestic media! I mean, for sure you can't imagine a bmw 7 series with a 4 banger, right?

In the end, that only comes to prove that even today, when everyone just makes heavier cars with bigger, stronger engines (to keep up), good designed cars can face (read beat) the competition with smaller engines (strong engine/light chassis combo).

Take a look at the best in the game: 10 years ago MB had probably only one s/c car. Now they have all over the place. BMW introduced its first v8 about the same time...

All I can say is THUMBS UP for the v6 caddy, but of course, I'm waiting for the sts-v-hehe-

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
You can't really compare the STS to the 7-Series. The 7-Series (a much more expensive and heavier car) can be had with a six-cylinder engine...and 3.0L at that. The 5-Series, a better comparison to the STS, has been offered with a four.

A decade ago, I don't recall any Mercedes-Benz models having a supercharger. The supercharged four-cylinder came out around 1997. BMW's first V8 came out decades ago, by the way: the BMW 502 with its 2.6L V8 was introduced in 1954.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I know the 7 series used to have a 2.5 turbodiesel for banger...

the sts may be smaller than the 7 series, but it's bigger than the cts wich is exactly the size of the 5 series...

my point was that only recently those cars have very, very powerfull engines. some 15 years ago the performances of a 500 hp amg s class were reserved only to cars like porsche or ferrari.

in this context, caddy goes backwards and offer a "lesser" engine!

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I don't think Caddy is going backwards.

I think it's a logical choice to offer a V6 and a V8, especially if Caddy wants to compete overseas, where high gas prices and smaller engines are the norm.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I think GM made the right choice calling the Seville-replacement the STS. I think the STS was the most popular model, and it did well if you looked at sales....and also: the 7er doesn't compete one bit with the STS..and Rex: your theory must be correct...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well is it only me that when I hear seville (especially sts) I (used to) associate a v8?

also, can you imagine a v6 gto??

I don't blame them for doing that, I'm only surprised no one noticed...

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I recently rented a CTS V6, and the engine was fantastic. Revved like a champ. Sounded great. Excellent grunt. Went like a bat out of hell. 28 mpg cruising at 85. If the STS weight disadvantage isn't too huge, the V6 STS is going to be a superb car.

Which reminds me: why not a stick for the 3.6vvt motor? And why not one in an STS? If Cadillac wants to establish their bona fides in the sporting market -- which, with the V series, they clearly aim to do -- they ought to cover the other end of the market as well. That is, build a close to bottom of the line, lower content, lighter weight, stick shift sport model. No AWD, a space saver spare, a stick - simplicate and add more lightness, as they say in the aviation business.

They'd sell way more of them than they will sell V-series, and they will complement the V-series nicely by giving the less affluent performance-minded buyer a choice at Cadillac.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The STS is kind of in an inbetween slot...smaller than the DeVille and larger than the CTS. Whereas the previous V8 only Seville was more expensive than the DeVille at $47,000, yet smaller than the DeVille. Now, with the addition of the base V6 model, the STS is more properly positioned in the line-up between the CTS and DeVille, comparing the $40-49,000 STS with the $68,000 BMW is a little skewed.

BMW

745Li
203.5 inches long
4,464 curb weight
18 cu ft of trunk space
105 cu ft of interior voume

745i
198.0 inches long
4,376 curb weight
18 cu ft of trunk space
104 cu ft of interior volume

530/545
190.6 inches long
3,461 curb weight
18.4 cubic ft of trunk space
n/a cu ft of interior volume

Cadillac

CTS
190.1 inches long
3,509 curb weight
12.5 cubic ft of trunk space
98 cubic ft of interior volume

STS(V6-8)
196.3 inches long
3,960 curb weight
13.8 cu ft of trunk space
103 cu ft of interior volume

DeVille
207.2 inches long
3,978 curb weight
19.1 cu ft of trunk space
115 cu ft of interior volume

CTS/STS/DeVille---$30,650/$40,300/$45,600/

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
of course, the germans sell here only the more expensive models.
bmw sells in europe a 7 with a 3.0 engine, let alone the even cheaper diesel models. so the fact that here there are only the more expensive models dosen't really mean the sts can't be seen as a competitor to the 7 series in general
also, someone noted the need for the v6 because of the international markets...

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Jul 8 2004, 12:38 AM
of course, the germans sell here only the more expensive models.
bmw sells in europe a 7 with a 3.0 engine, let alone the even cheaper diesel models. so the fact that here there are only the more expensive models dosen't really mean the sts can't be seen as a competitor to the 7 series in general
also, someone noted the need for the v6 because of the international markets...
Actually the average car with a diesel engine compared to the same car with a similar gas engine costs more! A diesel powered vehicle costs more upfront, however over the long run, the lower price of diesel (depending on the area) and the higher MPG rating pays off in the long run, that is if you can deal with the lower speed, higher noise and sometimes more smoke.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Some people like driving nice, classy luxury vehicles without any need for the power of a v8. Why not give them something to choose from?

·
Registered
718 Posts
With a V6 STS available for around $40,000, I wonder if GM really needs to develop a premium Buick that would sell for around the same price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts