·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,985 Posts
It's a very nice car but no I wouldn't pay that kind of money, even with such a low odometer reading. They only want twice o_O what it's probably worth.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's a very nice car but no I wouldn't pay that kind of money, even with such a low odometer reading. They only want twice o_O what it's probably worth.
The cheapest XLR V I see there is about $35k. But that one has about 70,000 miles. Several are between $45-70k.

Most V’s from 2005 until 3rd Gen CTS-V tend to have pretty high prices.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Those things are pulling decent money on Bring A Trailer and I have no idea why. Not particularly fast, and although improved in supercharged version it's still got the PITA Northstar under the hood. A C6 ZR1 is in the same price ballpark and you'd have to be insane to take a V over that car.

Reactions: Mr.Buttons

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,866 Posts
No thank you. Cadillac XLR is the worst modern Corvette ever made. To FenwickHockey65's point: with enough patience, one can purchase the best modern Corvette ever made - the C8 - for about $70k.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,147 Posts
It’s going to be worth more in that time, even factoring the inflation. Very rare car. This, the V wagons ELR’s and the Blackwings. Get them when you still can
It's a little high but I think someone whole really wants an extremely low mile XLR-V might pay it.
It is a collectible car and they don't exactly grow on trees.
The really desirable one is the refreshed 2009.

The V-Wagon is the big one. They're worth WAY more than other CTS-Vs.
And try to buy a used 2016 ELR. Fastest selling used car in America!
Ususally gone the same day they're posted. I tried to buy one before the Scorpio came out of nowhere.

No thank you. Cadillac XLR is the worst modern Corvette ever made. To FenwickHockey65's point: with enough patience, one can purchase the best modern Corvette ever made - the C8 - for about $70k.
They're becoming much too common.
I like cars that are rarely seen. C8 is never gonna fit that bill.

If I were going to buy a new car to take to car shows it would be either a 2016 ELR or a CT6-V.
They're always going to be rare. Having a Blackwing engine to display is a big plus.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
The only way I'd buy a XLR is if there is a box of NOS parts that come with it. Some absolute nightmare stuff pricewise with parts.
Yep...

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,985 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,147 Posts
The only way I'd buy a XLR is if there is a box of NOS parts that come with it. Some absolute nightmare stuff pricewise with parts.
It was an expensive car when new, so only a fool should expect it to be cheap to fix.
If you can't afford to pay, then don't play.

The taillights are valuable enough that they're being remanufactured, so it's not like you can't get them. Anyway... Jalop is WAY offbase. I think I'm calling clickbail on this one.

REPAIR KIT for Cadillac XLR Tail Light Lamp Single Assembly Left or Right LH RH | eBay

This is a canary in a coal mine. All of these fancy LEDs are future $$$ nightmares.
Wait till they start breaking on cheap cars!

·
Registered
18,327 Posts
It was an expensive car when new, so only a fool should expect it to be cheap to fix.
If you can't afford to pay, then don't play.

The taillights are valuable enough that they're being remanufactured, so it's not like you can't get them.

This is a canary in a coal mine. All of these fancy LEDs are future $$$ nightmares.
It's still a GM car though. Even parts that cross reference with other models are expensive just because it's "XLR" but it shouldnt be that way.

At this point, I'm never buying a GM car that has less than a 100k model run. Just way too much of a pain to get any type of part when they're over 6 years old.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,866 Posts
Interesting read. What a pee poor design.
Yup. And the taillamp isn't the only aspect of Cadillac XLR to "show actual contempt for owners by the engineers who designed them", as mentioned in the Jalopnik article that sdotjeezy shared in post #13.

Cadillac XLR is a Rube Goldberg machine masquerading as a sporty automobile.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
It's still a GM car though. Even parts that cross reference with other models are expensive just because it's "XLR" but it shouldnt be that way.

At this point, I'm never buying a GM car that has less than a 100k model run. Just way too much of a pain to get any type of part when they're over 6 years old.
Reason #1 why I'd never touch a CT6 even though it can be had for under 40

·
Registered
676 Posts
Exactly. I looked into purchasing a used one. Parts are a disaster. Just look at owners forums. And the folding top is another nightmare. And then there's always the Northstar stuff.
And honestly probably my 3.6 Camaro convertible will outperform it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Those things are pulling decent money on Bring A Trailer and I have no idea why. Not particularly fast, and although improved in supercharged version it's still got the PITA Northstar under the hood. A C6 ZR1 is in the same price ballpark and you'd have to be insane to take a V over that car.
Historical context is necessary to make an evaluation of old cars.

For it’s time it was very competitive. The vehicle for sale here is the V which had 440+ hp and got to 60 in 4.7 seconds, which at that time was very good.

The regular XLR in 2004 got to 60 in 5.9 seconds according to Car and Driver.

In 2003, Car and Driver tested a Mercedes SL500 which got 0-60 in 5.8 seconds.

In 2006, Car and Driver tested an XLR-V. It got to 60 in 4.7 seconds.

In 2003, Car and Driver tested a Mercedes SL55 AMG. It got to 60 in 4.7 seconds.

Further, the comparison to the ZR1 of that era is rather meaningless. Many people would choose luxury over added performance. Reviews at the time were extremely positive for the XLR and its luxury content. People only looking for raw speed and power wouldn’t have even looked at cars like the XLR or Mercedes SL.

Traditional luxury roadsters were not focused on performance. Yes, those cars needed strong performance, but smooth linear power delivery was more important than 0-60 or 1/4 mile trap times. Plush leathers, smooth soft rides were, and luxury features were more important for luxury roadsters shoppers than horsepower.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts