GM Inside News Forum banner

Should GM Keep The Chevy Mailbu In Production?

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,637 Posts
I agree with some others that posted above.

You did the R and D work on it...as long as there are no new regulations to meet, just keep pumping them out. If that means only 1 or 2 trims (whatever it takes to keep costs down), just build the most popular option combos to keep things efficient. Sell them to fleets or anyone that wants a decent mid-sized sedan.

As far as any redesigns or improvements..no way. Wait until you are ready and able to make a mid-sized electric sedan...and then and ONLY then does the 'Malibu' in its current form cease to exist and is replaced by the electric mid-sizer that GM is sure to make eventually.
Yeah, but this is gm you know.

·
Registered
18 F150 Sport 3.5, 18 WRX, 07 Town Car, 06 Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer
452 Posts
keep the malibu coming as long as possible. might as well. im sure it prints money.

impala lesabre park ave lacrosse were all really good sedans. 2nd gen cts and the sts were both good too

3 box sedans were a fad and its at the end except for a few niche markets and fleets. most cars for 50 to 100 years ago were suv and cuv shaped. recycle and repeat. give it 50 years and big luxo coupes and then sedans will be back around again lol.

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
I don't think anyone was buying that one. Car of the year doesn't count, there have been so many duds getting that award
Doesn't mean it wasn't a good car. The Impala didn't sell well either. Your premise that GM can't make good cars doesn't hold water, their issue is they have a hard time convincing people to get out of their Japanese cars & gaining their trust back.

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
So once every 13 year?.................

Looking forward to the 2033 GM Whateveryoucallitsedan

The Aura was on the Second Generation Epsilon, a good car when it came out, but like the Malibu at that same time, quickly got "ran over" by the competition, add to that there was a Saab, Pontiac and Chevy version, even worse.

Then the 2013 Malibu was outclassed before it rolled off the assembly line................

·
Registered
4,898 Posts

The Aura was on the Second Generation Epsilon, a good car when it came out, but like the Malibu at that same time, quickly got "ran over" by the competition, add to that there was a Saab, Pontiac and Chevy version, even worse.

Then the 2013 Malibu was outclassed before it rolled off the assembly line................
Sad part is that the 2013 was outclassed by the 2012 Malibu...totally killed all momentum from the previous generation

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,740 Posts
Sad part is that the 2013 was outclassed by the 2012 Malibu...totally killed all momentum from the previous generation
I don't think it's coincidence that Bob Lutz retired from GM a few years before the 2013 Malibu came out. Lutz' influence played a major role in making 7th gen Malibu (model years 2008 to 2012) the best to wear that nameplate.

Once Lutz was gone, Malibu went back to being an "also-ran" in the midsize sedan segment with the 8th and 9th generations.

·
Registered
18,145 Posts

The comment I replied to is "Has GM ever made anything the best passenger car out there? In the last 30 years I mean ". So we have the Aura and the Impala as quick responses.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Doesn't mean it wasn't a good car. The Impala didn't sell well either. Your premise that GM can't make good cars doesn't hold water, their issue is they have a hard time convincing people to get out of their Japanese cars & gaining their trust back.
I said they rarely strive for best in class. I don't think that can be disputed

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
The 2013 was a better car, in part because by 2012 they had de-contented the crap out of that Malibu.

The problem with the 2013 was:
1) The back seat lost about 4" of legroom
2) By that time the competition was a lot better (and most had legroom like the 2012)
3) GM played hard-ball with the pricing, 2012 vs. 2013 was probably $6,000 - $8,000 more.

I said they rarely strive for best in class. I don't think that can be disputed
The 2016 Malibu basically caught-up to the 2013 Fusion.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
keep the malibu coming as long as possible. might as well. im sure it prints money.

impala lesabre park ave lacrosse were all really good sedans. 2nd gen cts and the sts were both good too

3 box sedans were a fad and its at the end except for a few niche markets and fleets. most cars for 50 to 100 years ago were suv and cuv shaped. recycle and repeat. give it 50 years and big luxo coupes and then sedans will be back around again lol.
I don't have 50-100 years to wait....I have bad genetics! ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
As in the past if its the last model year it might go until the beginning of 2024. We still have the XT4 until 2024 model year. Since its a contract year in 2023 who knows what will happen. I will be retiring then with 40 years at GM. Most of the talk is not closing but going to a EV.. but I DONT CARE.. I will be gone...

·
Registered
44,163 Posts
The issue here is Malibu just isn't that good a car. Period.

It's got mediocre power. It's got mediocre handling. It's got ok mpg. It's got a mediocre interior design and quality. Seats suck. Safety features are lacking. But it's got decent tech features. It's styling is old.
All around, it's kinda dated.

Look. Chevy needs a well executed, mid sized sedan. This iteration of the Malibu is not it. It can be, with proper investment. Is Chevy likely to invest in it? Doubtful....

Passat is a very nice, high quality designed car. But that's about it. Its lacking in many areas that are important in a midsized family sedan. The competition has better engines and tech and mpg. The value of a Passat just isn't there.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Do they have the market data to show that most consumers would rather buy a more expensive and less convenient electric car than an efficient ICE, clean diesel, or hybrid? One can still fill up a golf in 8 mins for $19 at almost every street corner...and then drive 380+ miles. This will be the death of iconic car mfr's as we know them.

Chevy does need an amazing sedan. Why let Honda, Toyota, Hyundai have that market? Honestly the basic new GM crossovers are not that good either. Heavy, cheap plastic interiors, torque-less 3 cyl engines mated to a CVT. No thanks! GM Made some great cars in the 80's that every family owned. We need modern range beating versions with the same effort.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
I don't think it's coincidence that Bob Lutz retired from GM a few years before the 2013 Malibu came out. Lutz' influence played a major role in making 7th gen Malibu (model years 2008 to 2012) the best to wear that nameplate.

Once Lutz was gone, Malibu went back to being an "also-ran" in the midsize sedan segment with the 8th and 9th generations.
I had one of those, a 2011 LT and it was a dang good car( I still admire them today). The only reason I unloaded it was that I got to a point that getting in and out of cars is rough especially with lower roof and swept back windshields, SUV's treat me much better ;) if you know what I mean. :)

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Here's your post: "Has GM ever made anything the best passenger car out there? In the last 30 years I mean ".
I think back then they had two midsize chassis' a going. The one that Malibu was on, with slightly narrow width and longer wheelbase and the one they used for the next gen. which was slightly wider width and shorter wheelbase. I'm thinking it was a difference of about three inches on both measurements. If they could have just invested properly and sorted that BS out to a better "only one chassis" setup. :)

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
I think back then they had two midsize chassis' a going. The one that Malibu was on, with slightly narrow width and longer wheelbase and the one they used for the next gen. which was slightly wider width and shorter wheelbase. I'm thinking it was a difference of about three inches on both measurements. If they could have just invested properly and sorted that BS out to a better "only one chassis" setup. :)
Yeah, amazing what a couple of inches will do.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts