GM Inside News Forum banner

Should GM Keep The Chevy Mailbu In Production?

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Fine, one.
Is it really that important of an award....best large car...FOR THE MONEY. Not best large car period and a telltale sign is the Kia Rio and Sedona taking the prize for their segments because we all know that the Civic and odyssey are the best in those two segments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Every time I get behind one, I want to pass it. It’s the darnedest thing.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,740 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
or at least see what was done right, rinse and repeat
gm doesn't even know what GM did to make that happen or they'd have done that over and over again.

I guess the process in designing a car by taking 💩 and throwing it at a wall, then getting a one time committee to decide on what goes and stays and finally, cutting costs 3/4 of a way into its final design isn't the best way to make a class leading car.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,316 Posts
I honestly didn't know they still made the Passat. I don't know of anyone in the last few years that has bought a midsize sedan, not even an Accord or Camry.

Malibu sells small numbers, it's going to be difficult to keep it going if sales keep falling but that said - there is a market for them and if competitors keep falling off...

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
I honestly didn't know they still made the Passat. I don't know of anyone in the last few years that has bought a midsize sedan, not even an Accord or Camry.

Malibu sells small numbers, it's going to be difficult to keep it going if sales keep falling but that said - there is a market for them and if competitors keep falling off...
They haven't been produced for going-on 6 months, hard to sell something that wasn't made, and I tell you the rental companies would buy every one they could get their hands on.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The ditching of Sedans will be looked upon as a huge mistake in the future IMHO. I dont see them coming back like the past but you need 1 sedan platform in your lineup when "tastes" change. I dont see the value in VW retiring the Passat nameplate only to bring something else in under the EV brand. You have a customer base with a known product name - why throw that away? GM should keep the Malibu as its only Sedan - maybe moving it down a size to where the Cruze was in the end and make it an EV model. Once all these sedan platforms are gone theres no easy way back when the pendulum swings away from CUV/SUV/"UV" everything.

Reactions: geozinger_again

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
The ditching of Sedans will be looked upon as a huge mistake in the future IMHO. I dont see them coming back like the past but you need 1 sedan platform in your lineup when "tastes" change. I dont see the value in VW retiring the Passat nameplate only to bring something else in under the EV brand. You have a customer base with a known product name - why throw that away? GM should keep the Malibu as its only Sedan - maybe moving it down a size to where the Cruze was in the end and make it an EV model. Once all these sedan platforms are gone theres no easy way back when the pendulum swings away from CUV/SUV/"UV" everything.
If only GM had the ability to do globally well - regular observation of the European market would have seen the start of the demise of saloon/sedans starting in the 1960's, continuously diminishing over 60 years - it would have also been obvious that different national markets were switching to more practical cars quicker than others, the UK was a early convert of hatchbacks while Eastern Europe clung on to saloon/sedans for a lot longer.

In the modern era, there's no such thing as a saloon/sedan platform - a single platform can support saloon/sedan, hatchback/liftback, estate/station wagon and crossover as well as some platforms able to support monocoque SUVs.

GM gets a lot of criticism but don't expect it to keep sedans in production just because a handful of enthusiasts like sedans - if a body style doesn't sell profitably, drop it.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
IMHO I doubt the "sedan" will EVER return and that the "SUV" will die
the "SUV" has proven to be a very "fluid" concept and I believe we will see MORE and MORE "on road only" SUVS that are lower and more sedan/ hatch like in dimensions right now a lot of compact "SUVs" are not far apart from a "hatch back"
emissions regs + low designs has made the SEDAN impractical compared to the "classically" high "SUV"

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Almost bought an Aura XR but then I drove the Malibu V6 and bought it for less with a nicer interior.

Saturn's sticker prices hurt them IMO.
Saturn's no ****er sticker hurt them to the greater majority. Price is king to most.

Reactions: geozinger_again

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Almost bought an Aura XR but then I drove the Malibu V6 and bought it for less with a nicer interior.

Saturn's sticker prices hurt them IMO.
I went back and forth between the Aura and the Malibu LTZ, I decided I liked the looks of the Malibu a little bit better, though I had deciding!

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Thats my old car, a full loaded Aura XR, loved it. Problem is GM had too many brands/models back then, imo they still have too many models. How can Ford outsell GM (give or take) with 1/3 of the models available?
Yes they did. Saturn was a great experiment and I get why they did it - a clean break from their damaged brands. But, in the end, they probably would've been better off putting those resources into Oldsmobile or Chevy. I say Olds because at the time, based on styling, it seemed like they were trying to align Saturn with Oldsmobile. But, in hindsight, I think they did the right thing in getting rid of Oldsmobile and the resources they put into Saturn should've gone to Chevy.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I agree with some others that posted above.

You did the R and D work on it...as long as there are no new regulations to meet, just keep pumping them out. If that means only 1 or 2 trims (whatever it takes to keep costs down), just build the most popular option combos to keep things efficient. Sell them to fleets or anyone that wants a decent mid-sized sedan.

As far as any redesigns or improvements..no way. Wait until you are ready and able to make a mid-sized electric sedan...and then and ONLY then does the 'Malibu' in its current form cease to exist and is replaced by the electric mid-sizer that GM is sure to make eventually.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts