GM Inside News Forum banner

Should GM Keep The Chevy Mailbu In Production?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
VW Of America
July 19, 2021

The Chevy Malibu has been out of production for months now, and is only scheduled to resume output on August 16th. There are less than 300 new Malibu units in dealer stock.

Meanwhile, VW has just pulled the plug on the American made Passat. The future of the German made Passat (a different vehicle) is also up in the air.

Volkswagen announces end of U.S. Passat production with Limited Edition

Jul 19, 2021

• Volkswagen will end production of the U.S. Passat with model year 2022
  • Special Passat Limited Edition will pay homage to the city of Chattanooga
  • Chattanooga plant becoming North American hub of electric vehicle assembly

Herndon, VA — After a decade of success with American sedan buyers, Volkswagen of America, Inc. announced today that it will end assembly of the Passat sedan in Chattanooga with model year 2022, part of the plant’s transformation to build future electric vehicles. To celebrate the integral role of the Passat in the resurgence of Volkswagen in the United States, a short-run Limited Edition will join the lineup with Chattanooga-inspired details.

“We’ve sold some version of the Passat for nearly 50 years, and the Passat launched our relationship with Chattanooga, which supports thousands of jobs,” said Scott Keogh, President and CEO, Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. “With the Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport in high demand, and the North American production launch of the all-electric ID.4 SUV next year, our future in Chattanooga looks brighter than ever.”

The 2022 Passat Limited Edition includes unique exterior and interior design details created to celebrate the model’s history and recognize the contributions of the employees who built Passat. A run of 1,973 Limited Edition models are expected to be produced to recognize the year the first Passat was launched in Germany.

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
"The 2022 VW Limited Edition Chattanooga-Inspired Sedan"

I guess they ran out of "Wolfsburg" nameplates.

IF the Malibu is profitable, I do think it should stay in the Chevy lineup, but as we know there have been rumors of no new generation or MCE coming anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Much easier to get a great big ol' battery into an SUV then into a lil ol' sedan. As much as I dislike SUVs, they're the future ... at least based on every grocery store parking lot I see.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I'd like to see GM keep at least one affordable sedan leading up to the coming "EV revolution". Why abandon an entire market segment to the imports? Sedans do still sell.

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VW are just clearing the way for the 2023 9th-generation Passat, which will have one version, sold globally, rather than the three versions at present.
VW has stated the new Passat is not "scheduled" to be exported to the United States. Based on today's news, it does not sound like it will be made in the US or Mexico assembly plants either.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I like the new Malibu mostly. Wish it had a V6 option, wish the exposed faux exhaust tips were available on all trims, wish they made a real sport version without loosing equipment like the RS trim does (rear air vents) wish they had more colors, special editions and options. GM of old would've made a ton of special sticker and SS models or special editions but seems like they've stopped all that. I guess that's why I am now a fan of Chrysler and other makes now. If they do keep it it needs to be updated. I think VW should keep the Passat as I prefer cars esp. for my work.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,753 Posts
sell it dirt cheap or go all out with it and make it the best passenger car out there.
With GM's focus on trucks, SUVs, and electric vehicles (in the U.S. market anyway), the second option is extremely unlikely. Perhaps GM can make it a fleet only model that's sold dirt cheap as you mentioned.

If GM follows VW of America's decision on the NMS Passat and discontinues the Malibu after MY 2022, I don't think anyone will miss it.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
More info on 2022 Volkswagen Passat Limited Edition for the U.S. market:

A run of 1,973 Limited Edition models are expected to be produced to recognize the year the first Passat was launched in Germany.

The Passat Limited Edition will be available in four unique color combinations, with the number of each paying homage to an aspect of the vehicle’s past. Aurora Red Metallic models with Titan Black interior will number 411 units, representing the original vehicle production code. Racing Green Metallic models with Mauro Brown interior will be number 423, for the Chattanooga, TN area code, and Pure White models with Mauro Brown interior will number 524 units, signifying the opening date of the Chattanooga Plant on May 24, 2011. To round out the limited run, 615 Platinum Grey Metallic models with Titan Black interior will be produced—signifying six generations of imported Passats, one generation assembled in Chattanooga, and five decades of U.S. sales.

Outside, distinctive wheels and mirror caps differentiate the Limited Edition from the rest of the Passat lineup. Fifteen-spoke 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels are standard, along with black mirror caps for the power-folding mirrors with memory. Additionally, Limited Edition models feature LED headlights with the Advanced Front-lighting System (AFS) and Easy Open trunk.

Inside, Limited Edition models will bear unique seat tags featuring “1 of 1973” on one side and “Chattanooga 2011” on the other. A special mat adorns the cupholders, featuring aerial maps of the city and an aerial line drawing of the Chattanooga factory. Additionally, Limited Edition models will be equipped with comfort sport seats with perforated Vienna leather seating surfaces, driver seat memory, power passenger seat, heated front and rear seats, Discover Media infotainment with navigation, Fender® Premium Audio, Park Assist with front and rear Park Distance Control and Light Assist (High Beam Control for Headlights).

Pricing for the 2022 Passat Limited Edition starts at $30,295 MSRP with a destination cost of $995. The Aurora Red Metallic exterior color option is an additional $395.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I'd like to see GM keep at least one affordable sedan leading up to the coming "EV revolution". Why abandon an entire market segment to the imports? Sedans do still sell.
gm has "low roof" options coming with its 000 revolution so there is some hope of a sedan or two in the new line up...right?

Knowing gm however, the "low roof" is probably a Silverado with a Camaro style roof ;) .

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Yeah sedans still sell, but GM sedans don't...please do not keep the Malibu around for teh sake of keeping it around. There were a couple sedans they could've done to keep Sedans relevant, but GM didn't have the balls to do a V8 Alpha sedan to replace the SS or actually build the Buick Avenir concept. In today's sedan market you need to be really good or really captivating to maintain interest...unfortunately the Impala and especially the Malibu did neither.

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
gm has "low roof" options coming with its 000 revolution so there is some hope of a sedan or two in the new line up...right?

Knowing gm however, the "low roof" is probably a Silverado with a Camaro style roof ;) .
Hahahaaa! I wish I had skills with software to make a chop - I'm imagining a normal Silverado, but with 1 foot high greenhouse instead on the normal one.

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
With GM's focus on trucks, SUVs, and electric vehicles (in the U.S. market anyway), the second option is extremely unlikely. Perhaps GM can make it a fleet only model that's sold dirt cheap as you mentioned.

If GM follows VW of America's decision on the NMS Passat and discontinues the Malibu after MY 2022, I don't think anyone will miss it.
I do suspect you are right - they probably want to get out of ICE as soon as possible. Or, at least keep it on as a fleet queen until they have their Ultium factories up to full speed. I'd think if they just start churning out a bunch of white Malibu's all equipped the same they should be able to turn a profit.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I actually wouldn’t mind owning that Passat… but then, I live in Chattanooga. I’m not sure how it’s supposed to appeal to anyone other than people with a connection to our city.

I also really like the newest Malibu, but recently bought a non-GM SUV as my new daily driver. Having two small children, it’s definitely an advantage over a sedan. I suppose it’s why my parents had a station wagon when I was a kid.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
I think they should keep the Malibu and do one of two things with it. Either keep it on with minimal changes, like the Impala, for 20+ years and sell it dirt cheap or go all out with it and make it the best passenger car out there.
Has GM ever made anything the best passenger car out there? In the last 30 years I mean

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Has GM ever made anything the best passenger car out there? In the last 30 years I mean
As BlackGTP mentioned in post #17, Epsilon II platform Chevy Impala was among the best passenger cars out there, outranking luxury sedans that cost much more (including the related Cadillac XTS) in Consumer Reports' testing.

·
Registered
20,683 Posts
I think they should keep the Malibu and do one of two things with it. Either keep it on with minimal changes, like the Impala, for 20+ years and sell it dirt cheap or go all out with it and make it the best passenger car out there.
"go all out with it and make it the best passenger car out there."

So make an Impala and call it a Malibu?

See! Like I was saying......

1 - 20 of 76 Posts