GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it's been a while since the days when I would post like a madman. I do stop by regularly to see how things are going on the GM front, though.

Thought you might like to hear how things are going, and maybe you could share tales of your own GM car extended family purchases.

About a month ago I urged my sister to check out the Saturn Astra when she was considering a Honda Fit - and she ended up getting a 2008 Aura XE 4-cyl. with a little help from my GM Supplier Discount. She loves it ("feels like German luxury car") and I admit to being very impressed - it's a great car for the price (she swung it for under 20 grand). After seeing the Aura 4-cyl. I can't imagine someone buying a trimmed to the gills Chevy Cobalt for around the same price. It even rivaled the Astra with options. Then again, she was able to get some kind of Texas Clean Air deal with an old Saturn sedan trade in that made the whole deal sweeter by a thousand or more.

And today my parents, who have long been in a Mercedes SUV (that is starting to look really worn down) are going to look at a Saab 9-3 Convertible (they'll keep the SUV as a second vehicle). Maybe I can help them out with my GMS as well. They're thinking of a 2007 because of the big rebates. I think its $6000 off now.

My own GM Daewoo-built 2007Suzuki Forenza Wagon has been trouble free and a pleasing commuter car. The 2000 Bonneville SSEi stays garaged for the most part with an occasional stretch of its legs, as it has some major repairs - at least a thousand dollars worth of stuff that should be fixed - that will need to be made once my wife goes back to working (assuming she has a long commute). The 2004 GMC Safari has been trouble free (changing to a synthetic diff fluid - Royal Purple - eliminated a thunking noise in the AWD - but that was some years ago) and is now approaching 46,000 miles.

Probably won't be buying a new car for some years for my own garage -- unless the Safari starts having problems, and it has been fine so far. If we change out the Safari we'd probably trade in both the Bonnie and Safari for something like an Acadia.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Yeh its hard to turn down an 07 Saab with all the cash on the hood, but I urge them to look at the 08's. All around better cars and more style. Plus they already have some cash on the hood :(

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did mention that, but a few thousand dollars could make or break the deal for them and they seemed not to mind when I showed them comparison photos between 2007 and 2008. It's like $3500 vs 6000. From 2008 to 2007.

They could change their minds today when they see the cars in person. And there aren't a bunch of Saab dealers on the North side of Houston - so if the only convertibles on the lots are heavily optioned out - pushing the price near 40 grand - they might drop the idea of buying a Saab altogether. I did point out the 2007 Saab 9-5 Sportcombi with a 6500 rebate, though, since they are also considering a wagon - maybe.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Good to hear. My whole family has GM products, and while the newest is an 07, GM really does put out a good product.

1996 Cavalier Z24
2000 Blazer
2001 Silverado
2002 Cavalier Sport
2004 Trailblazer
2005 Impala
2006 Cobalt SS
2007 Torrent

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
My garage is 2/3rds American..........though not GM :(

1/3--'94 Plymouth Voyager :cool:
1/3--'93 Ford Taurus :drive:
1/3--'03 Honda Accord :(

In a lil under two months here, I hope to replace the Taurus with an actual GM product.....

My grandparents have owned Cadillacs, Fords, Lincolns and Buicks.....aunts & uncles have owned Chevys, Buicks, Mercuries & Oldsmobiles and recently one of my cousins made the switch back to GM from Infiniti......had an '06 SRX and now has an '07 Grand Prix GXP

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Good to hear. My whole family has GM products, and while the newest is an 07, GM really does put out a good product.

1996 Cavalier Z24
2000 Blazer
2001 Silverado
2002 Cavalier Sport
2004 Trailblazer
2005 Impala
2006 Cobalt SS
2007 Torrent

My immediate family as well... with one exception...

Newest is Dad's 2008 Impala, oldest is my 1993 Roadmaster...

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Only non-American car we've ever owned was an 1980-something Mercedes. I have no idea what the model was, I just know that it took me home from the hospital when I was born and my mom drove it to work until she crashed it in a ditch by an onramp. My dad had it fixed, then the body started rusting and the sunroof started leaking, and my dad traded it in pretty quickly for his '93 SW2.
The leaky sunroof also explains why my dad has a ongoing fear of sunroofs in cars now...

·
Registered
464 Posts
The only people in my family that own a GM product are my grandparents and their '98 LeSabre.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
That Saab is a beauty.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
...and recently one of my cousins made the switch back to GM from Infiniti......had an '06 SRX and now has an '07 Grand Prix GXP
An Infiniti what now?

Let's see, out of my family and extended family, there are 18 cars. 6 are GM products, 3 Hondas, 2 Nissans, 2 Subarus, 1 Inifiniti, 1 Lexus, 1 Plymouth, 1 BMW, and 1 Volvo. Not a good showing for Ford or Chrysler right now, though nearly all of us have had Fords before and there have been a few Chryslers, as well.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
An Infiniti what now?
She had an M45 I think (or whatever you want to call it) and then moved to a Cadillac SRX.....sorry if that was kinda confusing ;)

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Where was this pic taken? The cars in the back are ALL domestics... unfortunately a pretty rare sight nowadays.
A used car lot in David City, NE......a tiny town about 60 mi. away......where I'm hoping nobody will find that Toronado until I am ready to sign on the dotted line :D

·
Registered
13,164 Posts
Good to hear whats been going on.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts

1996 Cavalier Z24
2000 Blazer
2001 Silverado
2002 Cavalier Sport
2004 Trailblazer
2005 Impala
2006 Cobalt SS
2007 Torrent
All GM's as well in my family (and proud of it) heres a list of whats currently on the driveway and our two past GM cars

Current

2001 Chevy Malibu LS V6 model (my car)

1996 Buick Riviera SC (my bros car)

2002 Chevy Suburban LS (my moms car)

1993 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (my dads car)

our family's past GM's R.I.P

80's GMC Vandura Conversion Van - Parents Sold it and then the tranny died on the buyer

Buick Electra T type - Tranny died on it as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts