·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: Why The SRX Hybrid Was Killed
www.GMInsideNews.com
June 2, 2011
By: Nick Saporito

Update: Apparently some have misinterpreted our piece as stating that there was a technical "problem" with the SRX PHEV's battery pack. That is not the case. As stated in the below original article, the battery was "not seeing the efficiency gains that GM expected from it." The heart of any hybrid system is the battery pack used to store the vehicle's energy. In the case of the SRX, the lithium ion pack that GM had engineered into the vehicle was not meeting the efficiency requirements GM management set for the vehicle program. That does not constitute a technical problem with the pack, but rather that said battery pack failed to churn out GM's efficiency targets when mated to the SRX.

Late last week news broke that the unannounced, but long-known SRX plug-in hybrid had been canned. The reasoning for the last minute about-face was never reported by the mainstream press, but GMI has since learned what led to the demise of the stillborn Cadillac hybrid.

According to sources familiar with the program, GM management elected to decommission the SRX PHEV because the vehicle’s battery was not seeing the efficiency gains that GM expected from it. A similar issue led to the demise of the proposed Cadillac XTS hybrid system nearly a year ago.

Both the SRX and XTS were slated to use a tweaked version of GM’s Two-Mode Hybrid propulsion system. The revised system was expected to utilize a lithium ion battery back in place of the current system’s nickel-metal-hydride pack. It was also expected to see revised operating modes, possibly adding more modes to the current system. Topping off the new system was to be a plug-in option, similar to the recently-launched Chevrolet Volt.

The SRX PHEV was slated to launch sometime in the 2013 model-year.

GMI’s sources stated that GM has discontinued working on that particular hybrid program entirely; however GM has a new hybrid system that has already been in the works that will replace it.

Sources familiar with GM’s hybrid plans state that GM has been working on an all-new version of the Two-Mode system that should be ready for utilization in the 2015 model-year. The new system is said to have four fixed modes and take several cues from the Volt’s Voltec (formerly known as E-Flex) system. So instead of putting out an expensive, inefficient system in 2013, it sounds like GM will just wait another year or two and utilize the all-new system.

In addition to the PHEV system, the 2013 Cadillac SRX was also expected to receive an all-new interior and other additions. As far as GMI knows, those additions are still expected to launch as planned.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Re: Why The SRX Hybrid Was Killed

From what I know the battery was going to be about 8KWh. In a vehicle as heavy as the SRX or XTS that would probably only yield an all electric range of about 8 miles. After that the efficiency is basically equal to the two mode system.

I wouldn't say the battery is to blame. But in this case adding a bigger battery to the two mode with a plug just didn't make sense from a cost benefit stand point.

With the new rumored 4-mode hybrid system. And future Li-Ion improvements to increase energy density, reduce weight and cost we still likely see a future system. I would guess around 2015 time frame. (Similar time frame as to when we might see a Gen II Volt on an improved battery)

The Gen II Volt will likey share many components to this new PHEV even though the processes are completely different.

·
Registered
209 Posts

The 2020 Cadillac lineup is going to be incredible
The 2020 model lineup for all divisions/models of ALL manufacturer's will be incredible.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Anyone think we'll be seeing an eAssist stop-gap measure for Cadillac before then? Or will that only be coming out for Buick?

·
Registered
11,998 Posts

Well that's unfortunate and a little worrying. So if there's no PI XTS AND no twin-turbo then we get no up-powered model at all huh? Just the 3.6L.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts

The 2020 Cadillac lineup is going to be incredible
That's so far in the future, who knows if there will even be a Cadillac anymore.

·
Banned
8,781 Posts

It will be ok because the XTS is a stopgap, so we will get a high powered ULS to replace the XTS. The XTS will be on a shortened lifespan but GM is prepared to extend that to 7 or 8 years just in case.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well that's unfortunate and a little worrying. So if there's no PI XTS AND no twin-turbo then we get no up-powered model at all huh? Just the 3.6L.
Twin-turbo is still on as far as I know.

·
Super Moderator
15,292 Posts

It will be ok because the XTS is a stopgap, so we will get a high powered ULS to replace the XTS. The XTS will be on a shortened lifespan but GM is prepared to extend that to 7 or 8 years just in case.
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts

2015???? Things just keep getting pushed back.

Cadillac just now realized that this system wasn't going to be good enough and too expensive? It's evident how little was done on the project up to this point, otherwise they would known this a long time ago.

:fall:

·
Registered
11,998 Posts

2015???? Things just keep getting pushed back.

Cadillac just now realized that this system wasn't going to be good enough and too expensive? It's evident how little was done on the project up to this point, otherwise they would known this a long time ago.

:fall:
Caddy will be taking a back seat to Buick and Chebbie.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts

Eight miles! Talk about range anxiety.

I'm laughing so much that it hurts.

Hopefully the two mode hybrid used in the GMT900s will see a better upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
15,292 Posts

Eight miles! Talk about range anxiety.

I'm laughing so much that it hurts.

Hopefully the two mode hybrid used in the GMT900s will see a better upgrade.
That's only four miles short of the plug-in Prius's projected range.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

....a little embarrasing.

·
Registered
16,940 Posts

I think it's good that they are canceling and pushing back - which goes opposite to what everyone normally thinks. The old GM would have brought out the half a$$ed product and wonder why they are getting bad reviews and upset customers (i.e. Quad 4 engine). Though I am disappointed that the technology isn't out yet....

However, GM does need to get this stuff developed properly and in the public's hands ASAP before they are behind competitors.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts