1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive News

October 8, 2014

Article Quotes:

DETROIT -- General Motors plans to broaden Chevrolet's green-vehicle offerings by adding an electric model to a lineup that includes the Volt plug-in hybrid and the Spark EV minicar.

GM global product chief Mark Reuss confirmed plans for the electric vehicle last week during a presentation to investors. He didn't identify the nameplate or disclose a timeline for its debut.

Two people familiar with GM's plans have said that the company is working on an EV based on the current version of the Sonic subcompact that would have a range of about 200 miles. It is scheduled for sometime in 2017, the sources said.

Last year, then-GM CEO Dan Akerson said the company was working on a car that would travel about 200 miles on a single charge.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: UPDATE: Report Says Chevy Sonic Will Be GM's All-Electric 200 Mile Vehicle

Two people familiar with GM's plans have said that the company is working on an EV based on the current version of the Sonic subcompact that would have a range of about 200 miles.
Let's note what the article states: The vehicle will be a 'version' of the current Chevy Sonic. That does not mean it will carry the 'Sonic' name.

I was hoping for a Cruze version, only because the larger interior would add to popularity. I would assume Mr. Musk's "E" type vehicle would be a compact size.

Amazing news from New Jersey this morning that might make sales of electric vehicles even more difficult in the future: Regular gas fell to $ 2.99 per gallon.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am actually pretty excited to see this car. This may be the first car to mainstream a pure electric if the price is right. It does make some sense that they didn't base it on the Cruze, as the Volt is already derived from the Cruze. I also suspect that they have more available factory capacity at the Sonic plant than the Cruze plant.

I actually prefer the Sonic to the Cruze, because the Cruze is such a boring car to drive.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts

Let's note what the article states: The vehicle will be a 'version' of the current Chevy Sonic. That does not mean it will carry the 'Sonic' name.

I was hoping for a Cruze version, only because the larger interior would add to popularity. I would assume Mr. Musk's "E" type vehicle would be a compact size.

Amazing news from New Jersey this morning that might make sales of electric vehicles even more difficult in the future: Regular gas fell to $ 2.99 per gallon.
Why are you relying to your own post?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts

How much will it cost compared to a base gasoline Sonic model?

How much will a new set of batteries cost to replace when they go dead?

Will GM make any money on them, Fiats boss said he hopes nobody buys the Fiat 500e, as Fiat lose $14,000 on the roof of every EV it sells.

Who would want to drive 200 miles in a cramped Sonic, 10 miles would be to much for me, maximum 40 miles range would have been ample for a small urban runaround.

With less range of 40 miles, less batteries would have made it more affordable to the masses rather than pricing itself out of the market it, l was hoping GM would sell it at maybe at a small profit for a change, rather than a car 200 mile range made sold at a huge loss. A long range Tesla makes sense, it would be a more comfortable ride on long distances.

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
I guess the question is, will it be a Sonic, or another car based off Gamma II?

Reactions: DirtyMoney

·
Registered
3,438 Posts

How much will it cost compared to a base gasoline Sonic model?
Right there is why it was a brilliant decision by Toyota to have the Prius be a stand alone model and not simply a version of another vehicle.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If it's as small as the Sonic, 200 miles will seem like a long way. I thought the Sonic was made for urban short trips.
That's the Spark. The Sonic is one of the roomier cars in its class, I believe, and is more than up to the task of longer trips. It remains to be seen how the electric version will fare, interior-volume wise.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Right there is why it was a brilliant decision by Toyota to have the Prius be a stand alone model and not simply a version of another vehicle.
I agree, the new car should be as different from the Sonic as the Volt is from the Cruze. The premium price of the electrics almost demands a separate image/model identification.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts

A Cruze EV would have made a lot more practical sense for as a long range car with maybe with 170 mile range. I guess it more about grabbing "200 mile range" headlines than selling practical cars that people would buy for a long journey, do 200 miles in a Sonic you have gotta be joking that would be torture.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,308 Posts
Isn't the Chevy Trax a "version" of the Spark?
Use that as the basis for this vehicle if you want to sell 'em.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts

Actually it's just the opposite, people can now see what a premium they are paying for an EV version of the same car.
the LEAF is the TOP selling EV car out there and is ALMOST a brand in it self
and for long haul usage "A" a sonic IS up to the task and "B" 200 MILES is still NOT going to be a cross country tourer as the charge times will be WAY to long with out a dedicated high speed charge point

Models with an on-board 3.3 kW charger[82] can be fully recharged from empty in 8 hours from a 220/240-volt 30 amp supply (5.2 kW allowable draw[83]) that can provide the on-board charger its full 3.3 kW of usable power.[84][85] Models with an on-board 6.6 kW charger[27][86] can be fully recharged from empty in 4 hours from a 220/240-volt 40 amp supply (7.7 kW allowable draw[83]) that can provide the on-board charger its full 6.6 kW of usable power.[84][85]

In North America and Japan using a standard household outlet (120-volt, 15 amp breaker, 12 amp maximum allowable draw,[83] 1.4 kW) and the 7.5-meter (25 ft)[87] cable included by Nissan, the Leaf will regain approximately 5 miles of range per hour. This type of charging is ideal for the commuter that can plug into standard outlets at home and at work during the typical 21 hours a day that the typical North American car is parked. It is also useful for emergency charging from any ubiquitous 120-volt outlet just about anywhere in North America.[84]
this is the charge times on a LEAF so double the range and double the charge times
so 8 Hrs to charge assuming the Hotel/friends place/cabin HAS 6.6 KW level II charge capacity and if 120V is available it is 40 Hrs uninterrupted charging to get home again

·
Registered
973 Posts
Comparison to leaf : I think GM is still to learn urban commuter.
With that big grill in front and low aero dynamics, its going to be a less attractive choice.
Sonic :
Wheelbase 99.4 in (2,525 mm)
Length 173.1 in (4,397 mm) (4-door)
159 in (4,039 mm) (5-door)
Width 68.3 in (1,735 mm)
Height 59.7 in (1,516 mm)

==============================
Leaf :
Wheelbase 2,700 mm (106.3 in) [7]
Length 4,445 mm (175.0 in)[7]
Width 1,770 mm (69.7 in)[7]
Height 1,550 mm (61.0 in)[7]