GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GM VIN cards confirm what GMI reported over a year ago.
www.GMInsideNews.com
December 21, 2012
By: Nick Saporito

UPDATE said:
GMI has spoken with GM public relations, who confirmed that the Equinox and Terrain will NOT be receiving eAssist in the 2014 model-year. According to GMC communications manager Joe LaMuraglia GM has no plans to offer any type of a mild hybrid on the 2014 Terrain or Equinox. It is unclear if this is a recent change of plans or a case of false information being spread over several years.

LaMuraglia also stated that the figures on the recently released 2014 GM VIN cards were placeholders not intended to be seen by the public.
Over a year ago GMI reported that the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain would receive General Motors' eAssist light electrification system for the 2014 model year. Earlier this week GM published their 2014 VIN cards which have confirmed that both crossovers will indeed receive the company's 2.4-liter engine and eAssist system next year.

According to the VIN cards the 2014 Equinox and Terrain will both retain their current engines, the Ecotec 2.4-liter four-cylinder and 3.6-liter V-6. Additionally, the eAssist system will allegedly be optional on both Equinox and Terrain, with the Equinox likely to be named Equinox Eco.

GM's eAssist system is currently found in the Chevrolet Malibu, Buick LaCrosse and Regal. It utilizes a small lithium ion battery in the trunk coupled with a small electric motor to assist in powering the vehicle during light loads or when the vehicle is stopped.

Today the Equinox and Terrain both carry a class-leading 32 miles per-gallon highway rating on the 2.4-liter when equipped with front-wheel drive. GMI has not been told what to expect in the way of fuel economy figures for their eAssist variants, but it is likely safe to say that they will see a sizable bump from today's 32 mpg, otherwise GM would not waste their time adding this system to the crossovers.

Expect the 2014 Equinox and Terrain to arrive later in 2013. No other significant changes are anticipated on either crossover at this time. Production will continue at GM's Ingresol, Ontario plant and eventually begin at the company's revived Spring Hill assembly plant in Tennessee.

·
Registered
18,216 Posts
Re: Confirmed: Equinox, Terrain Gaining eAssist in 2014

I hope they put it somewhere that doesnt take up cargo room.

Very, very interested in the eAssist though.

·
Registered
216 Posts

When is the 2.5lt I4 going into the Terrain and Equinox I thought GM was going to drop that engine under the hood?

·
Registered
20,441 Posts

I hope they put it somewhere that doesnt take up cargo room.
The Roof?

------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not understand why GM continues to "eAssist" the less-efficient 2.4L.

·
Registered
18,216 Posts

When is the 2.5lt I4 going into the Terrain and Equinox I thought GM was going to drop that engine under the hood?
Probably not going to go in this generation. The 2.5 uses a different ECM from what I've been reading and its only compatible with cars designed for it.

The Roof?

They could stick it where the spare tire goes. Its a trade off but that area is quite large and with the 5 year road side I wouldnt be worried about anything.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts

The Roof?

------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not understand why GM continues to "eAssist" the less-efficient 2.4L.
You have to get with configuration management.

·
Registered
888 Posts

I'm a huge supporter of the eAssist system. This cost effective and fuel efficient technology will lead GM to a profitable future.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

I too wish GM would speed up the process of getting the 2.5 involved in e-assist, but it is what it is...

anywho...I think this is a great move. A 35 mpg Nox/Terrian would be a helluva package and IMO will sell pretty well.

Also, does anyone know when the Nox/Terrian are set for a refresh? I know they are still selling well but a small exterior refresh within the next year wouldnt hurt anyone. Anyone got any info?

·
Banned
37 Posts

I'm a huge supporter of the eAssist system. This cost effective and fuel efficient technology will lead GM to a profitable future.
I have a 2011 Equinox now with the 2.4 AWD drivetrain. I get 20mpg around town and at best 24 mpg on a trip............better than the GMC Envoy that I traded. I like my Equinox, however all my friends and my wife always ask me if I'm driving with my foot on the brake..............LOL!...........they also ask if the mouse on the wheel screaming under the hood is hungry.
Will the e-assist cost much more? How much fuel can I buy for the difference in price?
I was hoping for the 2.5............I guess not. I know the 3.6 V-6 is a 16-18mpg around town.....ouch!
So, they better give me a 25mpg around town vehicle..........or I'll look elsewhere.

·
Registered
434 Posts

The Vue has the eAssist under the floor, instead of a spare. I'm sure it will be the same in this application.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Everyone always thinks eAssist will move to the 2.5. I've said it before: it never will.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

3k is way to much money for a battery and electric motor. eAssist should cost no more then 1k.

·
Registered
609 Posts

I am happy to learn that the eAssist technology will be optional for the 2014 Equinox and Terrain, unlike the current Regal. Although I am all for better fuel economy and improved emissions in an automobile/CUV, I don't know if I personally want a hybrid, albeit a mild hybrid, automobile/CUV at this time. If I really want to save on fuel economy and help the environment, I will go all in and lease a Chevrolet Volt. Yes, I know the increased demand for electricity equates to more burning of coal. Sorry, not in the mood to debate.

I like that GM offers automobiles and CUVs with this type of relatively inexpensive (subjective) technology for saving fuel. For those who are a still a bit nervous about hybrid technology, eAssist sounds not so intimidating.

·
Registered
20,441 Posts

Also, does anyone know when the Nox/Terrian are set for a refresh? I know they are still selling well but a small exterior refresh within the next year wouldnt hurt anyone. Anyone got any info?
Q3 2014 is when the platform is scheduled to change. GM had said we were going to see more frequent mild-refreshes, but only hearing, haven't saw anything yet......

I have a 2011 Equinox now with the 2.4 AWD drivetrain. I get 20mpg around town and at best 24 mpg on a trip............better than the GMC Envoy that I traded. I like my Equinox, however all my friends and my wife always ask me if I'm driving with my foot on the brake..............LOL!...........they also ask if the mouse on the wheel screaming under the hood is hungry.
Will the e-assist cost much more? How much fuel can I buy for the difference in price?
I was hoping for the 2.5............I guess not. I know the 3.6 V-6 is a 16-18mpg around town.....ouch!
So, they better give me a 25mpg around town vehicle..........or I'll look elsewhere.
Thanks for your "real-world" mileage, if the current Equinox really got 32 and the eAssist upped it to 34 ~ 36, that would be great, but from everything I've ever saw, the majority are in the mid-20's.

·
Registered
77 Posts

He is referring to AWD getting mid 20's ..
The 2.4 AWD is not rated at 32 , the FWD is ..
The Eassist will probably only be offered in FWD ..
I'd like to see the 1.6 turbo w/ Eassist in a vehicle like this ...

·
Registered
18,216 Posts

Depending on who was driving our FWD Terrain we averaged around 23-26 in town. Not really bad at all considering the size of the vehicle. With eAssist I could see myself getting around 30 in town rather easy.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts

Would rather see a Diesel option than E-assist.

Are we gonna take bets that even though it will be built in a predominantly tierII facility that the price will still go up?

·
Registered
888 Posts

The eAssist shines in stop and go traffic or city driving. That's where the 'Nox/Terrain struggles. That little 2.4 works to get the 4k lbs SUV moving. There is absolutely no low end torque and the engine relies on RPMs to get up to speed. The 2.4 'Nox/Terrain is not a fun city car by any means. However, on the freeway it's a different story, but I haven't seen the claimed 32 mpg. I think the eAssist powertrain will significantly improve real world city driving fuel economy.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts