GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone else think of these two new pickups?? More power, same price, probably a better value...

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
colorado and canyon are two tough-a$$ looking trucks. tacoma looks too pretty... frontier looks too pieced together... nope, for my money the GM pickups are spot-on. and lovin' that inline 5. new dakota won't even touch this pair... chev is on a roll for sure!

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I don't like either the new Frontier or new Tacoma.
This would a better poll.
GM does however need to offer more power for the Colorado and Canyon.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All three looks just OK, with the Chevy looking the toughest. But, for the money the Colorado/Canyon offer a plastic-fantastic interior, a soon-to-be-considered underpowered I5, and a price that's the same as the Frontier and Tacoma.

Clearly, the new Tacoma is a winner. All that HP!!! Plus, the Frontier ain't so bad looking. GM better up their interiors soon!

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@Feb 23 2004, 08:16 PM
All three looks just OK, with the Chevy looking the toughest. But, for the money the Colorado/Canyon offer a plastic-fantastic interior, a soon-to-be-considered underpowered I5, and a price that's the same as the Frontier and Tacoma.

Clearly, the new Tacoma is a winner. All that HP!!! Plus, the Frontier ain't so bad looking. GM better up their interiors soon!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Even the import loving magazines hate the new Fronteir and Pathfinder. All I can say is:

Turbo x I5 = 350HP + Me! :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
GM gives us more HP in these trucks, that precious DOHC that for some reason everyone thinks they need, and a more contemporary interior(all interiors have plastic so get over it) and we are still [email protected]#ching!!!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@Feb 24 2004, 01:16 AM

your out of your mind.

the Tacoma is considerd Toyota's one and only truck to battle it all, and it easily gets outclassed by the GM trucks. I sat in a Tacoma, and the difference between interiors of teh GM and Toyota are the shapes of plastic. The floor shifter feels like its made of plastic, the wheel has too much up and down play, MAJOR gaps can be found. And the seats are made for a 14 year old chick. The Tacoma is by far the worst truck on the market today. The 220hp I5 puts out more power, if not as much power as Dodges Dak which IMO is the class leading mid sized truck. And frontier! Its supercharged, and it still only puts out 210hp in its top trim! And it looks like crap, as do all Nissan trucks. Talk about plastic fanastic. The front end of all of nissans trucks are just molded in plastic, and dipped in chrome.
And I like the 6 disk CD in dash player in the Colorado's. Dont see that in the Dak...

GM hit it off big with the mini trucks. Deffinatly needed to get rid of the aged s10's. Too bad its gunna kill my state. Its cool to drive past both the GM S10 plant, and the Ford Ranger on the same road.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 24 2004, 05:47 AM

the Tacoma is considerd Toyota's one and only truck to battle it all, and it easily gets outclassed by the GM trucks. I sat in a Tacoma, and the difference between interiors of teh GM and Toyota are the shapes of plastic. The floor shifter feels like its made of plastic, the wheel has too much up and down play, MAJOR gaps can be found. And the seats are made for a 14 year old chick. The Tacoma is by far the worst truck on the market today. The 220hp I5 puts out more power, if not as much power as Dodges Dak which IMO is the class leading mid sized truck. And frontier! Its supercharged, and it still only puts out 210hp in its top trim! And it looks like crap, as do all Nissan trucks. Talk about plastic fanastic. The front end of all of nissans trucks are just molded in plastic, and dipped in chrome.
And I like the 6 disk CD in dash player in the Colorado's. Dont see that in the Dak...

I think they were talking about the 2005 Tacoma coming out in a few months. It's got a 4.0L 240hp V6, and upgraded interior. The 2005 Frontier also has a new 4.0L V6 with 250hp and, of course, interior upgrades.

I think the Colorado/Canyon look great and will still look better than the other small trucks, but it's obvious that they won't be biggest powerhouses on the block for long.

I know there have been turbo concept versions of the I5 with 350hp, but I don't really think a turbo gas engine is appropriate for a truck either. Perhaps for the lowered sports-only trucks, but for a 4WD that you want to tow with, I'd have concerns over the the durability of a gas/turbo. I don't think gas engines are meant to cruise on boost like diesels are.

Beyond that though, I don't know what GM can do. I've looked under the hood, and I believe GM when they say the I6 won't even fit. The only way to crank up the horsepower significantly on the I5 without a turbo/SC, is to crank the revs up even higher, and they are already plenty high with these engines.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I dontl ike any new Gen small pickups, excepting the Ford Ranger. the Colorado and canyon look stupid, and the Frontier looks wrecked. the toyota looks bulbous and freaky. the Dakota looks like the Frontier but worse.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ@Feb 24 2004, 03:28 PM
I think the Colorado/Canyon look great and will still look better than the other small trucks, but it's obvious that they won't be biggest powerhouses on the block for long.
urg! come on GM! i sure hope they keep on the ball and add some power to these things as the newer toyota and nissan mid-size pick-ups come out. they're worlds ahead of the current GM S10/sonoma... but they won't stay that way if the imports outpower them.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the interiors of the Frontier, Tacoma, and Colorado...sorry, I had to do it in three posts!!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's what I posted:

first pic-tacoma
second pic-frontier
third pic-colorado

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the last pic

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just for fun...here's the Dakota..

The Tacoma was not shown in top of the line form
Neither was the Frontier
Neither was the Colorado
Same with Dakota

Clearly, it shows how much this segment is improving. Colorado needs a major interior makeover.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Except for those horrible seats(base cloth) and the lack of a center floor console I think the Colorado interior is just fine, I guess I dont get why everyone hates it so much.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, but the Colorado needs better seats, better cloth and leather, and a higher-quality interior. I just hate touching those plastics. If Toyota can build an interior like that, why can't Chevy??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts