Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up to 400 GM layoffs expected
News comes one day after 300 jobs added
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Friday, June 18, 2004
By Todd Seibt
[email protected] • 810.766.6135

FLINT - As many as 400 hourly workers at General Motors Powertrain Flint North complex are facing indefinite layoffs or placement in a Jobs Bank this week, the company said.

The news comes a day after GM announced it would add a second shift - more than 300 workers - at the Flint Truck Assembly Plant on Van Slyke Road for work on a medium-duty commercial truck line there.

The group of factories at Flint North, near the former Buick City site on the city's north side, are being hit with volume and production changes as the result of slower sales of some car models and changes in transmission production plans in Warren and Australia, said Brian Goebel, a GM Powertrain spokesman.

"It's really a couple of different things," he said, noting that Holden, a GM subsidiary in Australia, is now making its own transmission components.

The complex's bread and butter is producing the long-running 3.8-liter V-6 engine. But GM's need for the engine is down, in part due to slower sales and fewer applications for the engine in the United States.

As a result, the second shift in the 3800 engine plant is being suspended, GM said. The plant has two production shifts.

Goebel said initial layoffs started this week.

Full Article Here

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd like to see a comparo between the 3800 engine and the 3500 done. Going on specs alone, the 3500 only gives up some torque, and is a newer engine with redesigned cooling and other reliability enhancements.

But the 3800 is a great, smooth engine - also known to be "bulletproof". I wonder if the 3500 could replace it in all applications, or if the 3800 still has its place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ming, first let me state that I enjoy your prolific and quality posts.

Second, I think the 3800 has to go. The 3800 has one major plus going for it, namely it's been around so long that all of the kinks and bugs have been worked out so it is bulletproof.

OTOH, a 90 degree v6 is not going to be as good NVH wise as a good 60 degree v6. Given the fact that the 3800 is also a pushrod, its NVH just doesn't compare with the 3500, modern OHC v6s and presumably the 3900 when it finally comes out.

I think GM should dump all its old v6 pushrods other than the 3500 and the 3900, both of which are excellent quality engines with good torque, gas mileage and good NVH.

The 3500 should be the premium engine option in economy FWD small to midsize cars, the standard engine in small SUVs and minivans.

The 3900 should be the premium engine option in small SUVs and minivans, the standard engine in midsize FWD unibody SUVs, and a premium engine option in more upscale cars.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Saugatak! :D

I completely agree with you on the V6 situation. I was also expecting the 3900 in the Minivans - perhaps they will come later as the engine arrives. It's just wrong for a GM vehicle not to be able to keep up with a Honda (Odyssey) due to lack of power. I was also shocked to see GM put the 3800 as the base engine in the "all new" Lacrosse when the 3500 seems comparable.

The perfect world solution is the one you describe - and the one I pushed for before, but I've learned over time that decisions GM makes unfortunately are often about keeping some old factory running and pumping out old product, for reasons of price, keeping UAW workers happy, or lack of volume of new product.

That's the only way I can explain why the 3500 isn't going in to the Lacrosse.

From the point of standardization and cost cutting through simplicity, a 3500/3900 engine lineup for most of GMs cars (with upscale cars getting the 3.6L) seems to make the most sense. The 3900 can do double duty as a larger displacement engine, and a replacement for the 3800 supercharged engine applications.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts