GM Inside News Forum banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just wow. Why do you guys waste time responding to Scotteeeeeeee? He obviously has trouble grasping simple concepts. It might be better to just leave him alone and move on.

I would like to mention that my mom has been loving the Audi Q7 she bought in December of last year. The ride is spectacular and she loves all the safety features. The only thing she dislikes, and it’s become quite annoying to other owners and the auto press, is that the adaptive cruise control uses the onboard camera to automatically adjust the set speed to what it thinks the speed limit is. So it won’t let you speed while on ACC. Eff that. It’s a new feature on 2021 Audi Q7s.
Does Audi have any community support like Ford does with forscan? If so, there might be a way to disable that part of it. Kind of sad to have a feature like that ruined by the engineers not totally thinking it through.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Though Malaysia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Singapore and the United States all produce semiconductors, he said, a shortage of just one kind of chip can disrupt production.
I wonder if the auto manufacturers are looking at different ways of designing cars in which there is shared processing capacity amongst all of the sub systems? Short term costs would go up but it might be easier to source fewer, commodity parts per unit.

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
Well if that feature was one of the reasons she bought the car, then I would agree. But it wasn't. She was interested in features A thru J. Feature Z was a nice to have that didn't drive her purchase decision. But now that she's tried feature Z (which is enabled by default) she doesn't like it. It sucks. It doesn't work correctly. She has every right to complain and voice her opinion. You can thank her for voicing her dislike through me since you now know that this feature exists and can avoid it in the future.
Why did you get rid of the Trailboss, must not have liked it anymore...........

"I like everything about it and if I didn't then I would have already have decided that I can live with it before I purchased the car."

Comical! - But for clarity, are saying you knew everything about the car, EVERYTHING before you bought it, and after months of ownership haven't learned anything you didn't already know/like?
Today's vehicles have so many features and electronics that it is impossible to know everything about it up front. It isn't like 50 years ago when complicated new electronics meant a radio with 5 buttons on it. My car has an almost bewildering array of options and hidden menus - there is no way I could've researched them pre-ownership or experienced them in the test drive unless I'm allowed to put 5k miles on in the test drive. I can only image the dizzying amount of options/electronics/menus on something like an A7. Many times the salesmen don't even know about certain aspects of cars.

It's like buying tires (sort of), you can research them all you want, but until they are on your car you've no clue.

·
Banned
660 Posts
So when you complained about Silverado being a dumb name it was ok, right? I mean, if you don't say if it is a C or a K then it much be a low information owner since you can't tell if it is 4x4, right?

And if GM makes cars for millions and not individuals, what does that say about the CT6 since they pulled the plug on that? I guess that GM much not think very highly of the people that purchased one of them.
I never said I love everything about GM vehicles, I said I either like them or I learn to except them.

The C10, K10, K5 designations I thought were perfect. They went away from that when they started to use silverado and I learned to except it.

As for the CT6 being canceled, GM doesn't give two ****s about one single individual. They are not calling me or you to ask if this car should be built.

The reason GM is moving on is because they are planning on replacing these types of cars with electric cars.

I don't think I will own my CT6 for very much longer. I will be in the market for a large GM EV sedan. Rumors are it should be around 23 or 24. So we will see.

·
Banned
660 Posts
I wonder if the auto manufacturers are looking at different ways of designing cars in which there is shared processing capacity amongst all of the sub systems? Short term costs would go up but it might be easier to source fewer, commodity parts per unit.
This is very interesting, you mean like a expanded deal similar to what GM and Ford did with the transmissions they built in a joint venture?

Do you think companies like Chevy and Ford would be willing to share platforms on a massive scale?

I would like to hear more about this from you, what is your opinion on this idea? Do you think it would work?

I personally feel like this would work.

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
This is very interesting, you mean like a expanded deal similar to what GM and Ford did with the transmissions they built in a joint venture?

Do you think companies like Chevy and Ford would be willing to share platforms on a massive scale?

I would like to hear more about this from you, what is your opinion on this idea? Do you think it would work?

I personally feel like this would work.
I think he's talking about something along the lines of one central computer (or just a couple) running everything on a car vs. having individual processors for various aspects of the car (one processor for the touch screen, one processor for emissions, another for the engine, another for HVAC, etc). Or, at least I think that's what he's saying. This one is above my pay grade.

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
I think he's talking about something along the lines of one central computer (or just a couple) running everything on a car vs. having individual processors for various aspects of the car (one processor for the touch screen, one processor for emissions, another for the engine, another for HVAC, etc). Or, at least I think that's what he's saying. This one is above my pay grade.
I think that's exactly what he's saying

Like you have what used to be called a "body computer" (not sure if that's till the case) in marketing speak it handled all the processing for the engine and transmission ect ect as I understand it

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
I think that's exactly what he's saying

Like you have what used to be called a "body computer" (not sure if that's till the case) in marketing speak it handled all the processing for the engine and transmission ect ect as I understand it
I don't know enough about processors to talk intelligently about it - but I do wonder if it is possible with some of the systems. I'm thinking of the MRC suspension - doesn't that sample the road something like 100 times a second? I'd think that takes up a lot of processing power and I bet chips running the engine/emissions are sampling things at a similar rate. But maybe some of the lessor systems can share? Again, I don't know that much about the limitations of processors and what they are doing in a car...

·
Banned
660 Posts
I don't know enough about processors to talk intelligently about it - but I do wonder if it is possible with some of the systems. I'm thinking of the MRC suspension - doesn't that sample the road something like 100 times a second? I'd think that takes up a lot of processing power and I bet chips running the engine/emissions are sampling things at a similar rate. But maybe some of the lessor systems can share? Again, I don't know that much about the limitations of processors and what they are doing in a car...
But even if it had separate chips for different sections of the car. Wouldn't the chips or computers have to talk/communicate with each other at some point?

If you had separate computers for each system of the car Wouldn't space become a problem? Where are you going to put them? Wouldn't one central computer work better?

I really like the idea of sharing platforms to save cost. GM is supposed to have only 4 platforms by mid decade.

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
But even if it had separate chips for different sections of the car. Wouldn't the chips or computers have to talk/communicate with each other at some point?

If you had separate computers for each system of the car Wouldn't space become a problem? Where are you going to put them? Wouldn't one central computer work better?

I really like the idea of sharing platforms to save cost. GM is supposed to have only 4 platforms by mid decade.
Sadly, I simply don't know about how the processors are used and to what level they interact together.

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
Higher prices for cars and trucks are a good thing, it drives up the used car and trucks market. It makes people decide do I really need that new car or truck?

Maybe this will teach people to keep their vehicles longer and to take care of them better. Then this won't affect them.
That's OK for people who just want to change but not for people who have to buy another car - ie from flood or fire damage. I hope the written off vehicles are being salvaged rather than just crushed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
At least some of the computers, like the ecm and the abs computers, have hard real-time things to do (as in, the engine doesn't run right, or the abs system doesn't function properly, if the computer is busy doing something else), and it is both easier to program and takes cheaper chips if you separate them out compared with putting all the functions in a single computer. It also means that, say, your airbags still fire even if the fuse to the instrument panel computer blows.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Who in their right mind would go to a Ford site and then talk about their desire to own a different make?
There are a lot of us automobile enthusiasts who have brand preferences but generally enjoy the hobby without feeling the need to be a one brand fanboy. I'm a Ford guy who used to post over at FIN but prefer to post here because I don't only hear the same fanboy Ford can do no wrong bull****. Nothing makes me laugh more than brand loyalists with their panties so far up their ass over a negative perspective about their precious brand.

It's like going to a Dallas Cowboys fan site and talking about how much you love the Redskins. The people on that site would tell you to go away.
I'm a Vikings fan and the site I post at regularly invites next weeks opponent's fans to join the conversation. Overgrown children would tell them to go away, adults don't need to live in a bubble.

Conversations are more interesting, and more educational when you get outside perspectives instead of living in an insane echo chamber.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts