GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ZR2 seems to be acting up lately. When I first start it up and take off, I have absolutely no power. I can floor it and it seems to just spit and spudder.

At times I've been scared of pulling out in front of someone and causing an accident.

It seems to get better as it warms up, but sometimes it's still not the same as it used to be. When I give it gas, a good bit, or floor it, many times it will seem to have no power, then suddenly take off like it should.

I guess 150,000 miles doesn't help huh? :cool:

Any ideas on what could be wrong anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No check engine light, randomly comes on but it hasn't since this had been happening and it always goes off. I'm not sure, I'd say so since I've never replaced it in the 13,000 miles I've had it.

Mods-K&N Intake, dual exhaust with no muffler(could that be the problem? I've had that exhaust on for a long time though)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Fuel filter could be clogged.Catalytic Convertor could be clogged or possibly a faully Mass Air Flow sensor.If you disconnect the connector for the MAF and the bogg goes away that is your problem.It is easy to try that before getting into anything else.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help so far. I just changed to oil filter, oil, and fuel filter. Didn't have time to test it out yet but I'll let you all know and I'll also test the MAF tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The MAF or the converter should both turn the ck. engine light on.

Oiled the K and N lately?
I have had several faulty MAF on S -10's which caused driveabilty problems.Not one of them had a check engine light or set a MAF sensor DTC.Astro vans also.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well guys, I changed my oil, oil filter, and fuel filter(which by the way, was one of the most frustrating tasks I've done so far)

This all seemed to not help at all, even though it was all needed.

Then, I unhooked my MAF and walah! Back to normal it was!

My question is, why can't I just leave that unplugged? Seemed to work just fine but what do I know right?

I did take off my intake and clean it though, it was pretty covered in dirt and grime, and when I put it all back together it worked great still!

Thanks for all the help thus far guys!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well guys, I changed my oil, oil filter, and fuel filter(which by the way, was one of the most frustrating tasks I've done so far)

This all seemed to not help at all, even though it was all needed.

Then, I unhooked my MAF and walah! Back to normal it was!

My question is, why can't I just leave that unplugged? Seemed to work just fine but what do I know right?

I did take off my intake and clean it though, it was pretty covered in dirt and grime, and when I put it all back together it worked great still!

Thanks for all the help thus far guys!
The check engine light will come on if you leave the MAF disconnected.The PCM deafults to speed density mode when you disconnected the MAF.The PCM uses the MAP sensor to calculate fuel trim etc..You can try cleaning the MAF sensor,but it usually does not work.Any auto parts store sells MAF cleaner.It is worth a shot.That sensor is expensive.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It didn't go into limp mode when I disconected it. I'm guessing it dosn't unless you do it for a while. I was thinking about an upgraded MAF it if happens again, or should I stick with a stock one?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I mean "limping mode" because it is seeing nothing from MAF, it has to improvise something or the engine would not run
Maybe you should read my previous posts.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
on the older systems like the S10 you can disconnect it and it will be a dead give away. i have diagnosed several of them like that. and yes i have been burnt on them as well, thinking it being a fuel pump or something like that and then its a maf sensor.

you unplug it and then it works great. instant give away. slap a new one on it, and you will be good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts