GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark Maynard is the Wheels Editor at the San Diego Union Tribune, and generally a good automobile editor.
For this week, he tests the Toyota Corolla S, with all the options. Read the review. What's of particular note is this paragraph at the tail-end, which I agree with:
Toyota gets away with cheap-looking plastics, hard surfaces and the brushed-flannel headliner because of reputation and fuel economy – and the owners don't complain. The Detroit Three would be crucified by critics if they used this grade of materials.
You may read the article in its entirety here.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I agree with the paragraph you quoted Glenn. Toyota uses cheap plastics as well yet the they almost never get bashed for it by almost all of the automotive media because of it's fuel economy numbers and because of its reputation. If GM Ford, or any other domestic automaker used cheap plastics in a car they would be heavily criticized for it. Overall a balanced review but I give a few bonus points to the reviewer for pointing out that there is in fact a bias towards Toyota when it comes to interiors Reviewers tend to conveniently ignore Toyota's use of cheap plastic in most of their lineup no matter how cheap and boring looking it is

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Well, you have to put it in perspective. GM didn't get crucified for the Cobalt interior did it? It's no better than a Corolla......these are essentially cheap cars. This tester Corolla was the most loaded one you could get, at a choke-inducing $24 grand. They add features for that money, not superior materials.

P.S. The Corolla has NEVER had impressive 'materials'......I have driven, and ridden in many. So this one is no different. By the way the Pontiac Vibe, which is a mild hit to many here at GMi has the same type materials...........and it didn't get raped over the coals. Again once things are kept in perspective, it makes sense.

P.S.S. I will add, it is good to see someone point out something that not everyone knows (Toyota material quality). I forget not everyone knows what I know. lol

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Well, you have to put it in perspective. GM didn't get crucified for the Cobalt interior did it? It's no better than a Corolla......these are essentially cheap cars. This tester Corolla was the most loaded one you could get, at a choke-inducing $24 grand. They add features for that money, not superior materials.

P.S. The Corolla has NEVER had impressive 'materials'......I have driven, and ridden in many. So this one is no different. By the way the Pontiac Vibe, which is a mild hit to many here at GMi has the same type materials...........and it didn't get raped over the coals. Again once things are kept in perspective, it makes sense.

P.S.S. I will add, it is good to see someone point out something that not everyone knows (Toyota material quality). I forget not everyone knows what I know. lol
A good friend of mine has an older base model corolla and the interior of his is cheap and primitive (it has no power locks or windows) and it's hopelessly under powered but it gets him from point A to Point B every day and the previous owner was kind enough to put in a aftermarket CD player.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
I forget not everyone knows what I know. lol
We can all consider ourselves thankful for this bit of fortune.

Perhaps you'd care to point out the legions of GMI fans that own a Vibe?
Or the legions of GMI readers that go gaga over the Vibe?

No, that's not the Alex Trebeck theme song playing in the background.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The new Corolla's dash looks like something Pontiac used in the early 90's.
Really? Which 1990s Pontiac shares this styling?

Was it the Sunbird:

Was it the Sunfire:

The Trans Am:

The Grand Am:

The Grand Prix:

The Bonneville:

Or is it that Pontiac has never in its entire history designed an interior that looks anything like the current Corolla's and that you have no idea what a Pontiac interior looks like?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Kinda weird to test the S version. At most, I would think you would want to test a fully optioned 1.8 liter since it is what most people buy.

Very fair review.

Here is a comparison between the Cobalt, Corolla and Cruze.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Toyota gets away with cheap-looking plastics, hard surfaces and the brushed-flannel headliner because of reputation and fuel economy – and the owners don't complain. The Detroit Three would be crucified by critics if they used this grade of materials.
I nominate Mr. Maynard for quote of the quarter.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
We can all consider ourselves thankful for this bit of fortune.

Perhaps you'd care to point out the legions of GMI fans that own a Vibe?
Or the legions of GMI readers that go gaga over the Vibe?

No, that's not the Alex Trebeck theme song playing in the background.
Spoken like a true asshat. paul8488, Minnesota Nice, MrCritical, 91 s-10baja, 69Firebird400, dederer, mrbig, Uzzy, IAMCANADIAN, Koasterking, I-Love-Pontiac, caddycruiser and more have all praised the Vibe (findings based on a quick search over the past few months). There's no way for me to know who owns one, that's retarded. I said it was a "mild hit" here at GMi.....I didn't say everyone and their mom owns one. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Just about every Cobalt article I've ever read bashes the interior.
This is more akin to what most reviews are like quoted from US News and World Report:
According to our analysis, the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt's interior isn't spacious enough and offers inadequate seating comfort. USA Today says the Cobalt is "too small inside, especially in back, even judged by little-car standards." But it does offer high-quality cabin materials and sufficient cargo space. Check out the Chevy Cobalt Photo Gallery to assess the car's dimensions, or continue with our full Interior Review for more information on the Cobalt's 13.9 cubic feet of available cargo space.
Since we are talking about interior amterial quality, and not comfort or space......I guess we know who's right. :p:

Here's Car and Driver's quick take:
With solid chassis, respectable powertrains, and attractive interiors.....
Here's New Car Test Drive.com's take:
The design theme inside the Cobalt is simple and straightforward. Materials are decent and the fit and finish is good. Overall, it's comparable for the class.
And here's GMi's favorite scapegoat when it comes to GM's problems.....Motor Trend's take:
Sure, there's a lot of plastic, but it looks and feels good, and the fit and finish are in the hunt with the best in class.
Oh yeah, and here's the source of this info, so you'll know I'm not amking this shlt up. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/2008-Chevrolet-Cobalt/. They ranked it in the top 1/3rd in class overall.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Man, over $24k for a Corolla? My bad, a sporty Corolla :rolleyes:. I guess you really do have to pay for fuel economy cuz that price is getting into Mustang GT territory

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I just drove a Corolla LE as a loaner when my girls Avalon was in the shop. Steering at low speeds was ho-hum and numb at best unlike my SL which still outpaces several compacts of today in the area of driving dynamics. The interior bits were of bland and a see of beige and/or tan adorned every crevice. Acceleration was acceptable but not class leading by any means. I wouldn't recommend if you like fun to drive compacts like myself.:cool:

·
Premium Member
36,300 Posts
Man, over $24k for a Corolla? My bad, a sporty Corolla :rolleyes:. I guess you really do have to pay for fuel economy cuz that price is getting into Mustang GT territory
$24,400 for a frikkin Coroller?? :confused: :confused: :fall: I paid less than that for a new 1992 SHO, fer krissakes.

Frankly, I'll believe it's got a 16.6 cu. ft. trunk when I see them stuff two members of the Soprano family in there with extra space for an 80# bag of cement. :sad:

I could get two Mighty KIA Spectras (have to hit the sales, though) for that dough. :hooray:

Why I would do that I don't know. :nono:
Maybe to donate one to a worthy GMI member who appreciates fine machinery. :yup:

Now who in hell is going to shell out twenty-fo fo for a Coroller, unless maybe they have pious envy? :stupid:

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Blind loyalty at its finest! Seems very likely you could negotiate a pair of Cobalts or one Malibu which would be waaaay ahead of a $24k+ Coroller

1 - 20 of 42 Posts