GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pop that baby open!

For those of us who care more about what powers those cars at the Auto Show, I was able to get a few underhood shots (and a close up or two) of those GM cars up on the rotating pedestals (yeah, the ones that tell you to "keep off" at a painfully neck-craning distance) at the Houston Auto Show. Houston being denied some key concepts such as the Solstice, I worked with what I could. My photo requests were obviously a first for a couple of the spokespeople, but when they heard the magic words "GM Inside News" they were eager to do what they could to help. Funny - one of the Cobalts didn't have a hood release latch that we could find...! Thankfully a blue "SS" (non-supercharged) did. Unfortunately some of the shots came out darker than my LCD preview pane indicated - apologies for that (perhaps a decent photo editing tool could rectify this). The full size shots (click the links) are easier to appreciate.

Enjoy!

Chevrolet Cobalt 2.4L VVT:

Full size shot

Full size shot

Full size shot

Pontiac G6 3900:

Full size shot

Saturn ION Redline (not really a "new" concept, but my first chance to see one up close and in person):

Full size shot

·
Registered
396 Posts
that hose over the supercharger scares me

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by mackingu@Apr 11 2004, 10:00 AM
that hose over the supercharger scares me
Yeah, it's not exactly the most uhm.. reassuring placement of it. Hopefully there won't be too many people who run overboost on that Eaton(?) and end up with belt slippage, because when belts let go at high-speed, they can be pretty damn dangerous.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's the SS and the "SS Supercharged" (per a sign posted beside the car and its base 2.2L 140 hp sedan version (the one with the hood that wouldn't open). This blue one was the naturally aspirated version with the 2.4L VVT, not the 2.0L Supercharged version. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see changes on the final production models.

Oh, you mean the hose on the ION. :p Yeah, that is kinda scary.

·
Registered
396 Posts
what the heck is on the shifter? it looks like coloured spots? it's that just the light, or some funky interior trim?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it was chrome. Might be reflecting lights from the auto show or my camera.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Apr 11 2004, 09:53 PM
I think it was chrome. Might be reflecting lights from the auto show or my camera.
Yes. I think thats what it is. Look at the outside mirror, you can see the ceiling has many rows of lights.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
awalbert88
Yeah, it's not exactly the most uhm.. reassuring placement of it.  Hopefully there won't be too many people who run overboost on that Eaton(?) and end up with belt slippage, because when belts let go at high-speed, they can be pretty damn dangerous.
Everyone is going to be overboosting these things. I agree it looks kinds vulnerable from that shot. I would at least try and reposition it so if that belt does let go you don't wipe out a hose also. I keep a spare belt in my trunk just in case my GTP shreds a one but if it would rip a hose off and lose coolent your going to be stranded. Thanks for the pics Ming that G6 looks promising.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
The blown ecotec is forged, so there is plenty of room to grow. What I would like to see is some type of roots blower for the aftermarket like the replacement for the 03/04 cobra engine.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 13 2004, 04:46 AM
The blown ecotec is forged, so there is plenty of room to grow. What I would like to see is some type of roots blower for the aftermarket like the replacement for the 03/04 cobra engine.
I think you mean twin screw. Both the Eaton (roots) and twin screw are positive displacement but very different. I'd be down at the dealer tomorrow if you could get the G6 with the 3.9 and a twin screw.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Erunion@Apr 11 2004, 12:48 PM
Anymore shots of the 3900?
I pulled this from the Popular Hot Rodding article on DOD - you can't get much more detailed than this!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I kinda wish some of GM's cars had bigger plastic engine covers that said things like "VVT, 16V, etc." like on the Vortec engines or on Infiniti/Nissan's VQ-Series engines. Still, all things aside, I'm excited about the Cobalt!

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The G6 3900 had a pretty nice cover on it, with a big siver V6 and "3900" on the engine cover.

I know that the Cadillacs and Buicks with the DOHC 3.6 V6 have some nice engine covers with either Cadillac or Buick logos on the covers and "VVT" and all the other jazz on them.

Any 3.6 V6 or LS2 pics from the autoshow?

Also a lot of these early auto show cars are pre-production unfinished cars which dont have all the details the the production versions will have.

I remember at the last major auto-show in my area, which was about a year ago, Saturn had a red-line coupe on display, all done up with the Recaro seats and spoilers, but when I popped the hood, the car had NO supercharger in it? It was a pre-production display car, just a regular ION coupe all dressed up.

·
Super Moderator
4,254 Posts
Originally posted by Ming+Apr 11 2004, 01:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Apr 11 2004, 01:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Erunion@Apr 11 2004, 12:48 PM
Anymore shots of the 3900?
Sorry, that was it - I had one more but it was a total blurry discard. :(

I did get a close up inside shot though:

Full size shot [/b][/quote]
Love the interior design, but the acres of gray plastic that comprise the center stack reminds me of the current Hyundai Tiburon. I'm not a big fan of stick-on wood, carbon fiber, or aluminum, but I think the G6 needs something to break up all the same-color plastic. Maybe a few shiny accents around the radio and HVAC?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The G6 concept fooled us with contrasting brown/tan leather colors along with the gray.

In the end, a sea of gray won out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts