GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Re: "ULTra" cool video: personal transportation pods being installed in London

HoosierRon,

Thank you for this video. It was very informative.

JLM

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

I need to remember to watch this with sound when I get home.

But next step.... Transport Tubes!!!

And this is why the US is and will always be behind in public transportation. Actually I could see something like this catching on more than buses in the US.

·
Registered
44,165 Posts

And this is why the US is and will always be behind in public transportation. Actually I could see something like this catching on more than buses in the US.
The only areas where this would catch on are high density locations in the US.
And that would be.... New York, Chicago, and San Francisco.
The system could be adapted to Las Vegas, though if they just expanded the LV Monorail to all the right spots on the strip and to Fremont Street, they'd be fine.

This system is probably tied to coincide with the London 2012 Olympics.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts

OK, so you need to build dedicated infrastructure, including overground tracks that block view, spoil vistas and steal light (New York Metro anyone?) Now, secure from the usual sights of fellow passengers, users of such pods can litter, poo, pee and perform a hundred other undesirable (or perhaps desirable, depending on POV) activities that they would not normally on mass transit vehicles or in their private cars.

I would love to ride those but I believe they have many flaws that might ultimately relegate this concept to the archive of brilliant yet impractical inventions. I would much rather like the work on maglev trains resume. And, for a company that reportedly got a rather impressive Heathrow contract, they could come up with decent branding and corporate identity, especially coming from a country with a dozen railway companies with branding leaving P&G to shame.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts

I remember seeing something on this on a future vehicles program on the History Channel. This video is much better put together than the original that I saw, however, I would love it if the video were to give a little more specific information. For example, where these new lines are going to run, etc.

Does anybody know if the government is footing the bill for this? Is this going to be a smaller test system, that depending on how things go with it, it might be expanded or de-comissioned?

-Chase

·
Registered
44,165 Posts

I would love to ride those but I believe they have many flaws that might ultimately relegate this concept to the archive of brilliant yet impractical inventions. I would much rather like the work on maglev trains resume. And, for a company that reportedly got a rather impressive Heathrow contract, they could come up with decent branding and corporate identity, especially coming from a country with a dozen railway companies with branding leaving P&G to shame.
http://www.atsltd.co.uk/
If it works at Heathrow, then otehr countries can start considering it.

Maglev?? They're out in use. They're just very expensive and really don't go anywhere.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts

http://www.atsltd.co.uk/
If it works at Heathrow, then otehr countries can start considering it.

Maglev?? They're out in use. They're just very expensive and really don't go anywhere.
This would be great in New York. I'd love to see this replace the LIRR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts