GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,361 Posts
I see 30+ year old ICE survivors all the time. Heck, I own two of 'em.
I'll believe in decades old survivor EVs when I see 'em.

OTA updates do no good when the hardware goes south. It's not just EVs, either.
Bad unobtainium electronics are gonna take out a lot of ICE vehicles, too.
I just got one 30 year old car. Drives pretty well too.
Ultium will probably be the first EV design to last 30 years due to pack design. you can replace packs in bits and pieces and do not have to replace the whole pack at once meaning, you can go to the junkyard and pick up two or three sections of a pack install them in your stack and walla!! the software will just instantly recognize them and integrate them into the pack.

Its brilliant.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
I just got one 30 year old car. Drives pretty well too.
Ultium will probably be the first EV design to last 30 years due to pack design. you can replace packs in bits and pieces and do not have to replace the whole pack at once meaning, you can go to the junkyard and pick up two or three sections of a pack install them in your stack and walla!! the software will just instantly recognize them and integrate them into the pack.

Its brilliant.
I would not be surprised IF GM changes it in a few years and a cell WILL NOT "drop in" to the pack you have any more then any other brand and if any of the 100's of computers in your car do out
I highly doubt ANY modern car will be around 30+ years like old "analog" cars are right now

·
Premium Member
34,361 Posts
I would not be surprised IF GM changes it in a few years and a cell WILL NOT "drop in" to the pack you have any more then any other brand and if any of the 100's of computers in your car do out
I highly doubt ANY modern car will be around 30+ years like old "analog" cars are right now
on the other hand the longevity of the 'small block' and the 'ecotec' sort of bears out that GM sticks to its technology over time and keeps improving the basic principles of it, so we shall see.

not that you could interchange a 1970's small block with a 1990's but still,,, the elements are basically there to drop in a 1970's motor into a 1990's car.. so it might be with Ultium...

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
on the other hand the longevity of the 'small block' and the 'ecotec' sort of bears out that GM sticks to its technology over time and keeps improving the basic principles of it, so we shall see.

not that you could interchange a 1970's small block with a 1990's but still,,, the elements are basically there to drop in a 1970's motor into a 1990's car.. so it might be with Ultium...
unless Ultium is "perfect" then GM would be locking themselves into "inferior" tech when new and better designs come around

·
Premium Member
34,361 Posts
unless Ultium is "perfect" then GM would be locking themselves into "inferior" tech when new and better designs come around
GM designed Ultium to be upgradable tp newer Chem and to work with older packs, sp, you can have new gen cells and old gen cells in the same pack tangetha.. side by side… that is what makes the packs unique,

cells work via wireless software platform, enabling different generations of cells in the same pack.

capeesh?

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
GM designed Ultium to be upgradable tp newer Chem and to work with older packs, sp, you can have new gen cells and old gen cells in the same pack tangetha.. side by side… that is what makes the packs unique,

cells work via wireless software platform, enabling different generations of cells in the same pack.

capeesh?
I know the GM "PR" talking points but do you REALLY THINK GM will not change the electronics platform to support new and better functionality AND pay to KEEP backwards compatibility 20+ YEARS from now

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I know the GM "PR" talking points but do you REALLY THINK GM will not change the electronics platform to support new and better functionality AND pay to KEEP backwards compatibility 20+ YEARS from now
I believe GM will upgrade for themselves first, yet sell the original Ultium packs to their "partners" who chose not to create their own.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Premium Member
34,361 Posts
Who is to say the aftermarket willl not adapt to the new reality of ultium cell packs?

·
Registered
18,144 Posts

I was looking at the above, interesting to think how things are changing. In the ICE world we look at the engines. Now it is about the batteries, which in essence is the gas tank. In ICE, it is how much of that gas that can be converted energy/motion. Now it is about how quickly you can get that energy out of a battery (and of course, back in), with little talk of the actual motor.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts