GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,361 Posts
Re: Ultium Overview

You like that? I hated it when C&D switched to it a few years ago and still do. They tried to condense the good, old fashioned bar charts into one, I find it hard to read quickly.
It took me a while to read it. But once I got it, its wacky but it delivers the info.

I just hate that they promote only imports.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

It took me a while to read it. But once I got it, its wacky but it delivers the info.

I just hate that they promote only imports.
Double bingo!

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,740 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I've been saying this for some time: GM has a long, long history with electrics (unlike, say, Nissan or Ford or VW), going all the way back to the the Electro-Vair of 1965. That's now paying off with this Ultima battery system - 70% fewer internal connections? Structural cases? More compact and lighter weight? Those are things only an experienced company working on 2nd, 3rd generation equipment can do. GM is the only true competitor to Tesla so far. The rest are amateurs.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts

Two words caught my eye... Forward Compatibility".
Today's EVs are on the way to obsolecence the moment they're built. These could be VERY different.
It’s easy to SAY forward compatibility, but pretty hard to actually achieve it when you don’t know what the future technology will be.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,109 Posts

It’s easy to SAY forward compatibility, but pretty hard to actually achieve it when you don’t know what the future technology will be.
Obviously, in this case the tech will be electric.
The goal is not to update what you have to make it better, it's only to keep it from being obsolete.

If something else takes over, then whatever was the state of the electric art at the time will be used to keep all of the older electrics going.

·
Premium Member
34,361 Posts

Obviously, in this case the tech will be electric.
The goal is not to update what you have to make it better, it's only to keep it from being obsolete.

If something else takes over, then whatever was the state of the electric art at the time will be used to keep all of the older electrics going.
True, so far as we can tell, Only GM has a feasible solution to not have to replace an entire pack if something goes wrong with one cell, or even if you wanted to upgrade your entire pack, you could do it in increments and not have to pay for the entire thing at once.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts

Painfully obvious they stole this idea from Microsoft.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
From the Q2 2020 financials press release:

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm...s/news/emergency_news/2020/0729-earnings.html

PDF: https://media.gm.com/dld/content/Pa...ile.res/gm-q2-2020-earnings-press-release.pdf

During the quarter, Ultium Cells LLC — GM’s joint venture with LG Chem for cell manufacturing — started construction with ground prep activities for the future site of the Ultium battery cell manufacturing facility in Lordstown, Ohio. Site construction began in April, building foundation work started July 1, and crews began erecting building steel July 29.

·
Premium Member
34,361 Posts
Well, if wall street had any sense, this would create as much wow factor as the giga vehicle assembly plants.. if not more, this is a real battery cell manufacturing facility in the United srates

·
Registered
5,105 Posts

Two words caught my eye... Forward Compatibility".
Today's EVs are on the way to obsolecence the moment they're built. These could be VERY different.
Why is this unique to EVs? Any car is on the path to obsolescence the moment you drive it off the lot. Plus it looks like most EVs going forward will have OTA updates, which should help retain resale value quite well. For example, Tesla (which has always had OTA updates) has some of the best resale values among all cars.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,109 Posts
Why is this unique to EVs? Any car is on the path to obsolescence the moment you drive it off the lot. Plus it looks like most EVs going forward will have OTA updates, which should help retain resale value quite well. For example, Tesla (which has always had OTA updates) has some of the best resale values among all cars.
I see 30+ year old ICE survivors all the time. Heck, I own two of 'em.
I'll believe in decades old survivor EVs when I see 'em.

OTA updates do no good when the hardware goes south. It's not just EVs, either.
Bad unobtainium electronics are gonna take out a lot of ICE vehicles, too.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts