GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ultium Cells LLC Starts Ground Prep on New Electric Vehicle Battery Cell Facility in Lordstown
General Motors
May 19, 2020

LORDSTOWN, Ohio – Ultium Cells LLC is the name of the General Motors and LG Chem joint venture for cell manufacturing. Construction has started with ground prep activities for the future site of the Ultium battery cell manufacturing facility in Lordstown.

During the pandemic, product development work on GM’s future EV and AV portfolios continues to progress at a rapid pace. The Cruise Origin was revealed in San Francisco earlier this year, and production timing remains on track for the yet-to-be-revealed Cadillac Lyriq and GMC HUMMER EV, all powered by the Ultium battery system.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
The original photo resolution is 7526x3675. Up close they don't look like anything new.
I saw, I still wondered though. Most are white, but the dots of color stuck out and I found myself wondering if that was one of those clever things that happen once in a while or not.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Re: Ultium Overview

some interesting "insight" with the "wireless" battery management at cell level and "future proof" cell replacement capacity
if it comes out like the call makes it sound like GM SHOULD have a very good EV "battery platform"

·
Registered
18,183 Posts

some interesting "insight" with the "wireless" battery management at cell level and "future proof" cell replacement capacity
if it comes out like the call makes it sound like GM SHOULD have a very good EV "battery platform"
I hadn't heard that about the lack of Leaf replacement battery availability driving prices up. It's bad enough when that's done on a sub-$1k electronic, but on a car that was first launched only 10 years ago????? I'd be pissed off beyond belief!

·
Premium Member
34,383 Posts

I hadn't heard that about the lack of Leaf replacement battery availability driving prices up. It's bad enough when that's done on a sub-$1k electronic, but on a car that was first launched only 10 years ago????? I'd be pissed off beyond belief!
Leaf was a poop on Volt party vehicle, Nissan did very shoddy engineering on it, the Spark EV was a far better car from a battery tech and battery management standpoint.
Spark EV's still hold their value above $10K, as small as they are.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

Leaf was a poop on Volt party vehicle, Nissan did very shoddy engineering on it ...
Lack of temperature management meant their batteries were doomed to a shorter life. Leaf customers got pooped on, too.

Reactions: richmond2000

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,753 Posts

have you seen how they market the Altima as a sports sedan.. lol..
Even if it isn't a bona fide sports sedan, the current generation Nissan Altima is a surprisingly capable performer:

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,112 Posts

Two words caught my eye... Forward Compatibility".
Today's EVs are on the way to obsolecence the moment they're built. These could be VERY different.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

Leasing solves that.
Yeah, I'd only lease an EV and let somebody else pay $$$$ to replace the battery down the line.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts