GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the greatest review but a step in the right direction. For the price I guess its a decent offering til the all new Gamma products are up and running.

SOURCE: 4Car-UK

Chevrolet Aveo (200:cool: Review

Assets: Cheap, decent-looking, reliable.

Drawbacks: Weedy engines, uninspiring drive, poor crash-test figures.

Verdict: An improvement on the Kalos, but not enough to keep up with the competition.

Final Score: 3 out of 5 Stars

4Car Chevy Aveo Gallery

OVERVIEW
Chevrolet is continuing its onward march with the launch of the Aveo (pronounced Ah-vay-oh), the replacement for the Kalos, one of the cars the company took on when it bought Daewoo in 2002.

Chevrolet - in everywhere other than the US - has taken over Daewoo's budget brand status, building cheap cars for emerging markets such as Eastern Europe and second cars for consumers in more developed markets.

Powered by a choice of two engines - a 1.2-litre and a 1.4-litre petrol - the Aveo will be available in five-door (May 2008), and the three-door which will be on sale in the later in the summer. There are three trim levels - S, LS and LT.

The Aveo doesn't look massively different from the Kalos, but it is a departure from the old car. The styling of the front and rear has changed and the nose, in particular, sets the tone for future Chevrolets. Then there's a new interior with higher quality materials. Also, the two engines on the Aveo are totally new units.

Prices are yet to be confirmed, but early indications are that they will start at around £7,500 for the 1.2S, rising to around £11,000 for the 1.4LT auto, which is reasonably competitive in this crowded market.

RELIABILITY & QUALITY
Reliability & Quality Score: 3 out of 5 Stars
The Kalos had a good reputation for reliability, but there were reports that the engine had a tendency to coke up. However, in terms of quality, the Aveo moves the game forward... slightly. The interior on the Kalos looked cheap, plasticky and poorly put together. That has been remedied to some degree in the new Aveo but the materials aren't brilliant. There are better quality cabins out there.

ON THE ROAD
On the Road Score: 3 out of 5 Stars
Although it's a new car, it feels dated. A number of other manufacturers, including Ford and Vauxhall, are producing high quality small cars that look and feel the part, yet with the Aveo, Chevrolet has been found wanting. When the new Fiesta arrives later in 2008, we fully expect the Aveo to drop even further down the pecking order.

But the Aveo isn't a bad car: the ride is firmish, but tolerable, and the handling, although uninvolving, is adequate for buyers after a small budget car.

The engines are a little weedy, though. The 1.2-litre has an output of 82bhp and generates 84lb-ft of torque, enabling it to amble from 0-62mph in 13 seconds and eventually reach a top speed of 106mph. That's fine in town, but the car will struggle if you have any steep hills to climb, as we did in our test car. The 1.4-litre isn't much better: 99bhp and 96lb-ft, giving a top speed of 109mph. The trick with these engines is to keep the revs high - it allows the car to push on, but the noise does start to grate after a while.
MORE HERE

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
understandably it doesn't meet the standards set by some of the other small cars in Europe because they have so many choices over there, but it's still pretty cheap and isn't bad when compared to the choices we have in the U.S. the crashworthiness of it is what worries me.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
It looks awful in that picture. They should have dropped that yucky cut line along the doors... it really really dates the car. The nose isn't all that bad on its own, but looks silly with the old car's sides. I also HATE that fender vent.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
GM dropped the ball on this one ... the interior is pretty nice. but the exterior kills it ... maybe my opinion changes when the new engines come around (2009 MY right?), but at this point I rather get a Rio, than this. And of course the Fit is WAY up there above them.

Igor

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I don't know about the new Aveo... it just doesn't strike me as good looking with that "Scream" inspired grill...

I would have to pass..

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
I actually like the front end/grill.

It is the back end, the safety ratings, and the fuel economy/power ratio that I am very dissapointed in.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I'd say safety, fuel economy, value and styling are the four big criteria in a car purchase... the Aveo doesn't deliver on any according to most people. A few might argue style (not really though) and value (debatable with middling fuel economy and power), but overall, they really missed all possible targets with this refresh.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Ugly looks. Poor performance. Better alternatives available. Not a recipe for success.

Mark
Agreed. The car is damn ugly. Its really totally outclassed in Europe.

·
Super Moderator
10,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks awful in that picture. They should have dropped that yucky cut line along the doors... it really really dates the car. The nose isn't all that bad on its own, but looks silly with the old car's sides. I also HATE that fender vent.
I agree 1000% that the side treatment should have been booted. It not only dates the car, but is an obvious grafting of old and new --- not good.

They should have spent a few more bucks and addressed the side "swoop" etc.

The only thing I can think of as to why they didn't is due to the new product coming sooner rather than later --- if the new Gamma products are only 2 years off, then maybe they thought to leave good enough alone?

·
Premium Member
34,914 Posts
Also, the two engines on the Aveo are totally new units.
Powered by a choice of two engines - a 1.2-litre and a 1.4-litre petrol
but there were reports that the engine had a tendency to coke up. However, in terms of quality, the Aveo moves the game forward... slightly. The interior on the Kalos looked cheap, plasticky and poorly put together. That has been remedied to some degree in the new Aveo but the materials aren't brilliant. There are better quality cabins out there.
So,
Its powered by two new Engines
The old Daewoo used to coke up
Now these new Engines are also unreliable, becouse the old Engine was not reliable??

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree 1000% that the side treatment should have been booted. It not only dates the car, but is an obvious grafting of old and new --- not good.

They should have spent a few more bucks and addressed the side "swoop" etc.

The only thing I can think of as to why they didn't is due to the new product coming sooner rather than later --- if the new Gamma products are only 2 years off, then maybe they thought to leave good enough alone?
The 2010 Cobalt will get 37mpg and WTCC styling...that is the one I am waiting on. The one big plus of the Aveo is that we can sell a 2007 5-door for $10,000 out the door. A brand new car for $10k is a great advertising tool.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm not buying' anything that guy is sellin'. I drove an AVEO last year for three weeks waiting on my new Sierra, the little car is quiet, rides well and was very peppy. I live in a very hilly area and had no trouble climbing hills. For the size and cost the noise at high speeds was no concern in fact quiet. And as for as quality, I saw no glaring problems for fit and finish, in fact fit was very nice, quality of materials could have been better. All in all a very comfortable little bucket, cheap and gives 38 mpg to a guy with a heavy foot.

Sometimes I believe these guys just have to take a hit, or be a little nagging in order to make the public think they know what the hell they are talking about, which they don't. I have bought over 30 new cars and driven 100's more in my lifetime in all configurations and prices, I believe I know a good, well made automobile when I see and drive one. The AVEO in my opinion is a heck of a buy for the money and a hell of a ride for such a little squirt, and I'll stand toe to toe with the gentleman that bloviated on and on in that article and give him 1 out of 5 stars.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Wow compared to all the styling and interior improvements that GM has done in the past few years they really dropped the ball with this one. It won't last long in Europe with styling like that. Hopefully GM will do either a redesign or a mid cycle refresh in a few years to fix some of the cars faults

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I actually like the front end/grill.

It is the back end, the safety ratings, and the fuel economy/power ratio that I am very dissapointed in.
I agree with you...I wish small cars didn't have to be so boring and plain (at least in the US) as well. The only small car with some life in it is the Mini Cooper and Clubman in my opinion, but they're a bit pricey.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Now this is just my opinion, but I feel like GM dropped the ball by even bothering to sell this in Europe.

Europeans know small cars, they have fantastic small vehicles available due to expensive fuel. SO when you take a car that is out classed in a country that only has crappy small cars to begin with, and then send it to a country that has good vehicles, you've failed before you start.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
ugliness isn't something that draws away buyers in Europe (some Citroens, Kias, new Peugeot faces, Cayennes), the main problem of Aveo is it screams 'cheap!' but is not the cheapest offering (Dacia Logan is cheaper). It may be cheaper than Fiesta but still the price difference isn't huge, that's why many tend to find some extra money in their pockets to buy something better than a korean Chevrolet. Even the shoddy Skoda Fabia has for many people a lot advantages as 'VW technology' and some old-school soviet charm of Skoda name.
Get rid of it GM as soon as possible and give the world all the recent Chevy concept cars You showed recently.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts

You don't think the fender vent pulls the car up to Escalade or Land Rover Status?

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I think the Yaris and the Fit actually look better....probably a better car too. The front overhang, stupid grill that just doesn't work on this car, and those lame side swoshes do nothing for me. For a hatchback, it has very little room behind the rear seat, too. The Aveo needs a more fuel efficient drivetrain, better manual transmissions, better handling, and nicer options...........and the dealerships need to actually stock as many versions of this car as possible to cover as wide of a market as possible. Manuals and autos, sedans and hatches, loaded and stripped down, and in every color. If GM wants to play on the "band new car for $11,000...then they need to stock cars like that. Not everyone wants a automatic sedan, either.

What I do like is that it has a decent interior for it's price. I especially like that you don't have to sacrifice nice features if you want to trade in, say, a mid sized car for an Aveo to save gas. You can get the XM radio, pleather seats, CD changer, and power locks/windows in a small package that can be parked pretty much anywhere there is pavement. The views from the rear are pretty nice too....reminds me of the TRAX concept.

GM needs to diversify it's small car lineup. With new regulations and $4.00 gas, GM needs to offer a range of good fuel efficient cars. This means that Saturn needs to get that 38mpg Corsa here yesterday...and GM-DAT needs to simply make better products.
I am not a big fan of the styling and quality of the new hatchback. Just because it's small, doesn't mean it has to be cheap. The Honda Fit routinely sells for $16,000 or more. The BMW 1 series will sell at $26,000.

Isn't a complete redesign just a year away?

The brits can get 37mpg out of their Aveo? Do they test it downhill?
American's city cycle isn't 40mph with the occasional stop. It's complete chaos with heavy acceleration needed to merge. We drive faster than 100 to 110km/hr (60-65mph) on the highway too. More like 80 miles per hour here with the A/C.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts