GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uber CEO says that it will phase out gas-powered cars by 2030

In an effort to add more electric vehicles to its fleet, Uber has rolled out an option that would allow users to select between electric vehicles and hybrids.

Starting on Thursday, Uber's Comfort Electric option is being offered in an additional 15 U.S. cities. That brings the program to a total of 25 cities and states in North America.

Uber's CEO Dara Khosrowshahi told CBS News' senior national and environmental correspondent Ben Tracy that there's an even bigger goal at play.

By 2030, Uber wants all its vehicles in its fleet to be electric—if a driver does not have an EV by then, they will not be allowed on the platform.

"We have a target to be fully electric in the U.S., Canada and Europe," he said.

"Will a driver who is driving a gas-powered vehicle be allowed on your platform?" Tracy asked.

"No, if we're doing our job we're gonna be all-electric," said Khosrowshahi.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, transportation is the single largest source of planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions in the United States.

Uber is trying to slash its carbon footprint by incentivizing its drivers to switch to EVs.

More at Link

·
Registered
45,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think that's a pretty smart move by Uber to be more forward thinking with its driver car fleet.
When they first started, they leaned heavily on using hybrids first.
But now that they're moving towards EVs, this can only help drive adoption.

In many cities, Ubers seem to take over the streets or are idling. EVs definitely will reduce urban emissions.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
How are they going to do that with Uber Black? Every one I have been in was a Tahoe/Yukon/Expedition. Aren't those a ways off yet, much less adoption/pricing in the market?

·
Registered
45,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How are they going to do that with Uber Black? Every one I have been in was a Tahoe/Yukon/Expedition. Aren't those a ways off yet, much less adoption/pricing in the market?
By 2030, there will be more options for Black SUV. But you certainly could use a Model X, iX, or EQS right now. By 2025, you'll also have Range Rover and Gravity.

Uber Black SUV I've been in are Yukons, Tahoes, and Escalades. But the Black car, I've been in Model S, E-Class.

But yes, that will certainly be an issue at least until 2025-6.

·
Registered
7,123 Posts
How many Uber drivers can afford a fancy new EV? Most that I've been in aren't very nice. And the large ones (tahoe, suburban, etc.) are bare-bones version of the nice SUVs. If you can afford a $70k EV you're probably not going to be an Uber driver.

·
Registered
45,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many Uber drivers can afford a fancy new EV? Most that I've been in aren't very nice. And the large ones (tahoe, suburban, etc.) are bare-bones version of the nice SUVs. If you can afford a $70k EV you're probably not going to be an Uber driver.
The Blazer EV will be out within a year or so.
By 2030, it's more than possible that there will be $30K EVs.

I mean, a typical Prius is right around that price, and they're often used as Priuses in many cities. So, I don't see this as an issue.

I think Uber Blacks may be a little more complicated, as already stated above.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 2014 Cadillac Saks 5th Ave ELR, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
12,040 Posts
I've never taken a Lyft / Uber; doubt I ever will.
Me neither.
I guess they exist somewhere out here in Podunk.
I have 4 cars, probably not gonna need 'em.

·
Premium Member
37,221 Posts
I too have never OOObered and likely won't be doing so in the near future. But I'd think something like a Soul would work well. Big head room front or back, big leg room in back, reasonable luggage space. Town MPG not great but I get high 20s. But I guess OOObers use what's in their driveway. It seems like the back of a Corolla or Civic would be a wee bit tight.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I don't know. It just seems foolish to make an announcement like that 8 years ahead of time. Especially when they don't have any control over the making of cars. The progression of EVs could be ahead or behind of their schedule, and either way, they're going to look foolish come 2030.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts