GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINN1642044620080716?rpc=44

DETROIT, July 16 (Reuters) - The United Auto Workers union has called a strike against a Johnson Controls Inc (JCI.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) factory in Columbia, Tennessee, that will supply seats and consoles for the upcoming Chevrolet Traverse crossover vehicle from General Motors Corp. (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz)

UAW Local 1853 President Mike O'Rourke, who also represents workers at GM's Spring Hill, Tennessee, assembly plant, said JCI management had refused to recognize the union even though 170 of 172 workers at the plant signed union cards.

The strike, which began on Wednesday, has the potential to disrupt production of the Traverse, one of the new vehicles GM is counting on to offset declining sales for its full-size trucks and SUVs.

Full production of the 2009 model-year Traverse is set to start in early September, GM spokeswoman Sharon Basil said. (Reporting by Kevin Krolicki, editing by Maureen Bavdek)

·
Registered
458 Posts
LOL, this is great!

:fall:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
GM Production Halted By Union Protest
POSTED: Sunday, June 08, 2008
FROM BLOG: DigitalJournal.com - DigitalJournal.com is a news network powered by citizen journalists. Every area of news is covered in a steady stream of news articles and breaking stories each day.

The following blog post is from an independent writer and is not connected with Reuters News. The opinions and views expressed herein are those of the author and are not endorsed by Reuters.com.

General Motors' Oshawa, Ontario, car and truck plants were shut down for several hours Saturday during a protest against plans to close a truck assembly line.

General Motors workers continued their protest yesterday by driving their vechiles around the company's plants.

The plants were shut down for several hours as the workers registered their anger with the company's plans to close the plants.

Union spokesman Keith Osborne said. Federal politicians, including Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion and NDP Leader Jack Layton, were present to provide their support,

Transport workers could be heard honking their horns in support of the workers.

According to Osborne, who is the Canadian Auto Workers' plant chair for GM's Oshawa complex, the vehicles travelled at about 10 km/hr in a protest aimed at pressuring the company to reverse its decision.

Meanwhile the union's blockade of the plant was in its fourth day; the blockade began last Wednesday, one day after GM announced plans to close four plants in North America.

The Oshawa truck-assembly line is slated to shut down next year, putting 2,600 people out of work.

Two weeks prior to this announcement, members of the Canadian Auto Workers union ratified a three-year contract with General Motors, which they say contained a promise the plant would build a new hybrid truck that would give them work until at least 2011.

The union has vowed to maintain the blockade and states that the Oshawa plant shutdown violates that contract, in which members agreed to a wage freeze and several concessions to maintain the jobs.

Buzz Hargove, union president had met on Friday with GM brass at the company's headquarters in Detroit, but GM flatly refused a union demand to keep the truck plant open past 2009.

·
Registered
237 Posts
GM Production Halted By Union Protest
POSTED: Sunday, June 08, 2008
FROM BLOG: DigitalJournal.com - DigitalJournal.com is a news network powered by citizen journalists. Every area of news is covered in a steady stream of news articles and breaking stories each day.

The following blog post is from an independent writer and is not connected with Reuters News. The opinions and views expressed herein are those of the author and are not endorsed by Reuters.com.

General Motors' Oshawa, Ontario, car and truck plants were shut down for several hours Saturday during a protest against plans to close a truck assembly line.

General Motors workers continued their protest yesterday by driving their vechiles around the company's plants.

The plants were shut down for several hours as the workers registered their anger with the company's plans to close the plants.

Union spokesman Keith Osborne said. Federal politicians, including Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion and NDP Leader Jack Layton, were present to provide their support,

Transport workers could be heard honking their horns in support of the workers.

According to Osborne, who is the Canadian Auto Workers' plant chair for GM's Oshawa complex, the vehicles travelled at about 10 km/hr in a protest aimed at pressuring the company to reverse its decision.

Meanwhile the union's blockade of the plant was in its fourth day; the blockade began last Wednesday, one day after GM announced plans to close four plants in North America.

The Oshawa truck-assembly line is slated to shut down next year, putting 2,600 people out of work.

Two weeks prior to this announcement, members of the Canadian Auto Workers union ratified a three-year contract with General Motors, which they say contained a promise the plant would build a new hybrid truck that would give them work until at least 2011.

The union has vowed to maintain the blockade and states that the Oshawa plant shutdown violates that contract, in which members agreed to a wage freeze and several concessions to maintain the jobs.

Buzz Hargove, union president had met on Friday with GM brass at the company's headquarters in Detroit, but GM flatly refused a union demand to keep the truck plant open past 2009.

Ummm, I think that was a month ago, hence the June 8th posting date of this article

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i think it is only fair that every auto manufacturer has to have the union in their plants if the big 3 have too. It is one of those things that really hurts their competitive advantage compared to the imports. Either that or the union gets shut down completely...

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Why bother to sign a labor contract if you're going to strike anyway?

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Remember how everyone got all over the UAW for striking American Axle, and then someone decided to actually report the actual story? How the CEO was basically treating the company like his own private bank, refusing to join the union in sacrifices and continually rejecting UAW compromises until GM stepped in and forced him to do it?

Strikes are never good and they are just as hard on the members as they are on the companies. Sometimes they are justified. I'll wait until I know the complete story before judging this one.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Considering JCI has failed to acknowledge the union, that means they can fire them all as there is no contract correct?* Replace them quick ...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It is time to break the UAW, before it breaks the US auto makers.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Considering JCI has failed to acknowledge the union, that means they can fire them all as there is no contract correct?* Replace them quick ...

Nope, JCI has broke a federal law here, blatantly!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Anyone that buys a new GM vehicle should expect quality and/or reliability problems due to the widespread labor unrest with GM employees.

I bought a new 2008 Impala LTZ and it was delivered with problems and defects. Soon, the airbag system malfunctioned due to defective wiring.

I am a long-time, loyal GM customer - but the writing is on the wall. Unhappy and bitter employees produce problem vehicles.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Anyone that buys a new GM vehicle should expect quality and/or reliability problems due to the widespread labor unrest with GM employees.

I bought a new 2008 Impala LTZ and it was delivered with problems and defects. Soon, the airbag system malfunctioned due to defective wiring.

I am a long-time, loyal GM customer - but the writing is on the wall. Unhappy and bitter employees produce problem vehicles.
What? Now that it is more like a Toyota (defective) the writing is on the wall? I hope GM is not counting too much on the Traverse in this day and age. Steer people towards the Outlook, Acadia and Enclave.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I hate this happened in Columbia, TN, just as news arrived yesterday we are getting the Volkswagen plant here in Chattanooga, TN.

And you are absolutely right about quality. I'm glad I leased my Aura and can turn it in after 3 years. There are so many quality issues with basic fit and finish. I hate to think what this puppy's drivetrain is going to be like with some good miles on it. The platform above the back seats at the base of the window doesn't line up at the driver's side c-pillar leaving a big gap. The pieces at the side of the dash that are visible when the door is open are all warped and ill-aligned. There is something loose in the dome light causing all kinds of noise that the dealership just can't seem to duplicate....32 months to go.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Nope, JCI has broke a federal law here, blatantly!
Not if they decide to replace the UAW slugs with hard working Mexican workers down in Mexico. The UAW didn't just bite off the hand that fed them, they ripped it clean off!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not if they decide to replace the UAW slugs with hard working Mexican workers down in Mexico. The UAW didn't just bite off the hand that fed them, they ripped it clean off!
You are absolutely correct. What most people forget to remember is that publicly traded companies have a moral obligation to make money for the stockholders not cater to their employees' every whim. Seeing how the UAW and CAW seem to cost the big three more money then they are worth sometimes, I'm surprised they haven't pulled out completely. But, then again, Michigan does have one of the worst economies in the nation with an incredibly high unemployment rate. Are the unions so ignorant to basic business sense they would rather find themselves unable to afford a pot to piss in rather than have a job that pays a decent wage for an honest day's work?

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
So they are striking because they are a newly formed Union?

It sounds like a coming out party...

JCI needs to lock all but 2 workers out. Doesn't matter....those big SUVs are not going to be selling very well pretty soon- but then the UAW will probably strike because sales are slow.

Headlines will read "UAW declares war on General Motors".

I hear it's going to be hot tomorrow. The UAW is planning a strike to protest the weather. True story.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts