GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
Here in Texas the Highway units have V8 Camaros!!

I haven't seen any Impala cruisers though. Most around Dallas TX have the lame old CV's. They are a breeze to spot on the road...

...Camaros are a little more heart stopping seeing as though there is a chance that the white Camaro your'e reving your engine to challenge may be a cop!!

· Registered
5,621 Posts
Originally posted by LakeMichigan+Jun 1 2004, 10:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LakeMichigan @ Jun 1 2004, 10:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-stewacide@May 30 2004, 08:35 PM
The Crown Victoria is one of the most high-margin cars sold. They're a goldmine for Ford (+10k per car profit so I've heard!).
a few years back their margins were at 10-12% or so, when many vehicles today are much lower..... [/b][/quote]
It also doesn't hurt profitability that Ford paid-off the tooling for the Panthers (Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis) TWO DECADES AGO!

· Registered
31 Posts
Yes that Holden Caprice has nothing in common with the old Caprice. Thats Holden is based on the Monero platform and a lot smaller. The Zeta platform may be a large volume vehicle considering all the sport models that can come off it. Sounds like it going to Canada.

· Premium Member
13,378 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson+Jun 2 2004, 04:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hudson @ Jun 2 2004, 04:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 1 2004, 10:43 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-stewacide
@May 30 2004, 08:35 PM
The Crown Victoria is one of the most high-margin cars sold. They're a goldmine for Ford (+10k per car profit so I've heard!).

a few years back their margins were at 10-12% or so, when many vehicles today are much lower.....
It also doesn't hurt profitability that Ford paid-off the tooling for the Panthers (Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis) TWO DECADES AGO! [/b][/quote]
hehehe and people laugh at GM for keeping chassis for 10 years.

· Registered
5,621 Posts
The Panther platform was introduced for the 1979 model year...year AFTER the Fox platform was introduced. But Fox ONLY lasted 27 model years and Panther will close in on 30 before its replaced. GM's current oldest platfom (J-body) will be 23 when production ends this summer...followed by M/L, which will end production at just over 20 model years. Chrysler's current oldest....dates back to....1986 (N-truck, Dakota), which also ends production this year.

The difference between these guys and certain import brands is that nobody notices when an import-brand platform turns 20 (like the last Accord platform).

· Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Troppo Lounge,

The Australian Statesman/Caprice is derived/built on the Holden Commodore Station Waggon floor - I think a 100mm plus section is added to the floor length over the standard Commodore/Monaro/Gto floor.

Mike

· Registered
843 Posts
Ford has had several plans to replace the Panthers over the years. I believe that DEW98 was originally planned to be a much larger program that would have replaced the big Fords. Also, there was a plan in the mid 1990's to replace the Panthers with a Taurus derivative. All of these plans were dropped, probably because the Panthers are so profitable and still sell reasonably well. I could see them lasting long past 2009, unless CAFE standards force them out.

· Registered
579 Posts
DEW was a mistake, even if it was a great platform. It was too expensive for Lincoln and Ford, which is why they're looking at other options for their new large cars (either Volvo or Panther derived), yet it was too cheap for Jag' (which is why the S-type is moving to the XJ platform and the next-gen X-type is getting a revised smaller DEW).

Any North American large car platform, for starters, needs to be engineered to accept Ford's mod' v8s, not the much more expensive Jag' v8!

If was was picking a platform for the new large Lincolns I wouldn't know which way to go: Panthers's BoF flexability, DEWs suspension and refined ride, and P2 (Volvo's) AWD and safety are all appealing. That's why last I heard an AWD, IRS equiped, Panther-derived platform was the leading contender.

· Registered
843 Posts
My preference would be for Lincoln to use a stretched DEW98 for its premium sedan, with modifications so that the 4.6 can fit.

Back to Chevrolets, GM would have been better off converting one of its FWD car plants to building trucks and continuing to build the Caprice and Roadmaster. Imagine how nice a new Caprice would be with the updated V8's that have come out in the last few years.

· Registered
2,082 Posts
Actually the B-body production was scheduled to move to Mexico and get the LS1. In fact all the engineering had already been done and then for some reason, I still don't know it, the entire plan was scrapped. The b-body could easily have continued but it was killed at the height of its sales.

· Registered
5,621 Posts
Originally posted by stewacide@Jun 3 2004, 11:43 PM
DEW was a mistake, even if it was a great platform. It was too expensive for Lincoln and Ford, which is why they're looking at other options for their new large cars (either Volvo or Panther derived), yet it was too cheap for Jag' (which is why the S-type is moving to the XJ platform and the next-gen X-type is getting a revised smaller DEW).

Any North American large car platform, for starters, needs to be engineered to accept Ford's mod' v8s, not the much more expensive Jag' v8!

If was was picking a platform for the new large Lincolns I wouldn't know which way to go: Panthers's BoF flexability, DEWs suspension and refined ride, and P2 (Volvo's) AWD and safety are all appealing. That's why last I heard an AWD, IRS equiped, Panther-derived platform was the leading contender.
The next generation X-Type will not go to DEW98. Panther is as good as dead by the end of this decade...without ever having IRS or AWD. I've seen the plans for the next LS and Town Car, and they don't include Panther or DEW98.

· Registered
843 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Jun 7 2004, 03:05 AM
The next generation X-Type will not go to DEW98. Panther is as good as dead by the end of this decade...without ever having IRS or AWD. I've seen the plans for the next LS and Town Car, and they don't include Panther or DEW98.
Automotive News is reporting today that the replacements for both the Lincoln LS and Town Car will be based upon the Ford Five Hundred.

The Lincoln LS replacement is code named D385, and the Town Car replacement, using a stretched wheelbase, is code named E386.

Both cars will be built in Atlanta. The Atlanta plant will also produce the Five Hundred. The Lincoln Zephyr may also be produced in Atlanta.

Obviously, Lincoln is moving to FWD/AWD, not RWD, as Cadillac and Chrysler are doing.

The article said nothing about what engines the cars would use.

The LS replacement will debut in July 2007 as a 2008 model, while the Town Car replacement will debut in January 2008 as a 2009 model. Ford may continue the Town Car on the Panther platform, and the new sedans may get new names.

The future of the Wixom plant is uncertain.

I believe that this is bad news for the future of Lincoln. I predict that Lincoln/Mercury will be dead within 10 years. I cannot see boring V6 FWD sedans being the savior of Lincoln. Ford should have designed new Lincoln sedans on the DEW98 platform.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.