GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
579 Posts
If CV safety was really an issue it would cost Ford a fraction to re-engineer it compared to what it would cost GM to bring out a whole-new car.

Also, why would police departments care about a car being RWD or not? It's the size and reliability they're after.

· Registered
579 Posts
The Impala has done a fine job as a police cruiser, and more and more departments are switching over. RWD/FWD is NOT an issue. These aren't sports cars! If it can prove it's reliability and safety is the equal of the BoF Vic' then the market will move even more towards Chevy'.

The Five Hundred and 300 oould be threats but not having bench options I'm pretty sure rules them out...

· Registered
579 Posts
I doubt there's a FWD car on the market that can't outhandle a Crown Vic! :rolleyes: The Vics' advantage is all about toughness and durability, oweing mostly to the BoF construction, something GM is very unlikely to match with a new Caprice (do they have any BoF cars any longer?)

Not sure about a renameing tho'. Ford will probably stop Vic' consumer sales soon anyways (already have here in Canada - you can only get the GM now), and the CV name is golden in the fleet market.

And for the record the Five Hundred will get the 3.5 Duratec as soon as it's available (~250hp I would guess), and remember it's running through wither a 6-speed or a CVT so more of that power is getting to the tires when you need it.

· Registered
579 Posts
AFAIK Volvo's are very popular police cars in Europe, and if the new ones hold up like the old ones would be a good option in North America too. The main problem there, however, would be price. Still, for units that need the storage (e.g. K9) the V70 is probably the best option (unfortunately most departments opt' for hunking SUVs for such duty, when a wagon would be a much more logical choice).

· Registered
579 Posts
FYI the Panther explosion problem is completely overblown, and all are due to either extremely high speed crashes (which would destroy any normal car) or having sharp objects in the trunk. It's still the safest, most solid car on the road.

· Registered
579 Posts
DEW was a mistake, even if it was a great platform. It was too expensive for Lincoln and Ford, which is why they're looking at other options for their new large cars (either Volvo or Panther derived), yet it was too cheap for Jag' (which is why the S-type is moving to the XJ platform and the next-gen X-type is getting a revised smaller DEW).

Any North American large car platform, for starters, needs to be engineered to accept Ford's mod' v8s, not the much more expensive Jag' v8!

If was was picking a platform for the new large Lincolns I wouldn't know which way to go: Panthers's BoF flexability, DEWs suspension and refined ride, and P2 (Volvo's) AWD and safety are all appealing. That's why last I heard an AWD, IRS equiped, Panther-derived platform was the leading contender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.