GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
This article infuriates me! Imagine the audacity of the UAW to attempt to shape the future product plans at GM. I think they've definitely overstepped their boundaries, and it certainly deserves a public rebuke from GM.
And what does it say when representatives of the UAW speak poorly about the products produced by members of another chapter of their own union (i.e., UAW brothers and sisters who build the Crown Victoria)?

i absolutely agree. the idea of the union had it's time, but today is costing the u.s. business and jobs--and creating products that cost the consumer more than it should.

they could bring the car here in one form or another to be built in north america, but with union labor, you can bet the final product won't still cost $20,000us--not with the v8, anyway. like the pontiac gto coming to north america. when it does, it will undergo the desired design changes, but will likely go from the low-$30k range to the low-$40k range.

australian auto labor gets paid an average of something like $20/hr. (converted to u.s. $)--making a perfectly good living. in north america, it's something like $50/hr! with overhead like that, it's no wonder american makes have had such a difficult job making a competitive-quality product at anywhere near similar price to the competition (can anyone say cheap materials or "aging factory" or lay-offs?). we'd better get back to the free-market model of competition.

sorry, that's just a bit of my "unions must be stopped" rant.

· Registered
128 Posts
The Impala has done a fine job as a police cruiser, and more and more departments are switching over. RWD/FWD is NOT an issue. These aren't sports cars! If it can prove it's reliability and safety is the equal of the BoF Vic' then the market will move even more towards Chevy'.
The Five Hundred and 300 oould be threats but not having bench options I'm pretty sure rules them out...

yea... everything i've read says the impala is superior to the crown vic in most ways as a police cruiser (in performance anyway). they even out-perform the last chevy caprice/impala model they've attempted to replace. that doesn't mean i think it's a car worthy of the name or position in the marque. that'd be where a new caprice/impala like the one rumored would come in nicely (if they can price it right).

i would hope the update to the current impala platform would be repurposed in the lineup and renamed. can't imagine what they'd call it, though.

anyway, the thing is, crown vic will likely get the redesign and probably be renamed (like the windstar minivan became freestar without a significant redesign--p.r. reasons). and the 500 won't be any real threat either to the existing impala or coming caprice unless they figure out a way to drop in a motor with more than 200 measely hp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.