1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UAW President Against Any Merger Between GM and Chrysler
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Associated Press

DETROIT--United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger said Tuesday he would oppose a merger between General Motors Corp. (GM: 6.58, +0.07, +1.07%) and Chrysler LLC because it would cost workers their jobs.

The union president said the UAW has not had formal discussions with either automaker about the two companies combining, but he would be against any consolidation.

"I personally would not want to see anything that would result in a consolidation. That would mean the elimination of additional jobs," Gettelfinger said on a political webcast run by WWJ-AM in Detroit.

Gettelfinger said the union has done a lot to help GM, Chrysler and Ford Motor Co. (F: 2.54, +0.15, +6.27%) survive by giving health care concessions in 2005 and with a new contract last year that reduced the automakers' production costs.

More of the article at the link

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was campaigning around GMI during union negotiations a slogan of "Gettelfinger needs to get the Middelfinger." I guess I need to start all over again. And yes, I know I spelled middlefinger wrong. It's a pun. See? :)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Too funny. Of course Gettelfinger is against such a merger. Plants would close by the bunches.
Exactly.....the dude needs to tell us something we wouldn't know.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
A merger or collapse of one of the Big Three is doom for the unions. At that point, the mild panic currently evident would become full blown panic in the auto sector. And the workers would realize that giving in to anything the automakers want would be the only way to save their jobs is to cave and cave big time.

A merger is the next worst scenario for them. One of the Big Three effectively die, and everyone knows that a merger means elimination of unnecessary models and overlap which translates into jobs.

Thus, the union has come to the realization they're damned so they must put on a brave face and claim they're against all mergers.

But we can see it's over. Chrysler is gone as we know it. The question becomes: Is it better to buy out Chrysler, reduce redundancies all for the sake of the Viper, the minivan, and Jeep or is it better to watch it die and then grab at the assets and any customers looking for a safe haven.

Man, I'd hate to be in Detroit trying to sort this out.

I also can't believe anyone outside of Detroit would want to buy Chrysler. What advantage would it give them?

That all said, there is a third way: Asset Sale. Cerberus may actually be selling parts of Chrysler to different automakers. Thus, we might see GM getting Jeep and the Minivans while Renault gets trucks and SUVs. The remainder may just be written off as untenable.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
That all said, there is a third way: Asset Sale. Cerberus may actually be selling parts of Chrysler to different automakers. Thus, we might see GM getting Jeep and the Minivans while Renault gets trucks and SUVs. The remainder may just be written off as untenable.
That's been my guess for a while now. That may be what's happening now. I kind of hope so. GM does not need everything Chrysler has, but a few things are nice.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
A merger or collapse of one of the Big Three is doom for the unions. At that point, the mild panic currently evident would become full blown panic in the auto sector. And the workers would realize that giving in to anything the automakers want would be the only way to save their jobs is to cave and cave big time.

A merger is the next worst scenario for them. One of the Big Three effectively die, and everyone knows that a merger means elimination of unnecessary models and overlap which translates into jobs.

Thus, the union has come to the realization they're damned so they must put on a brave face and claim they're against all mergers.

But we can see it's over. Chrysler is gone as we know it. The question becomes: Is it better to buy out Chrysler, reduce redundancies all for the sake of the Viper, the minivan, and Jeep or is it better to watch it die and then grab at the assets and any customers looking for a safe haven.

Man, I'd hate to be in Detroit trying to sort this out.

I also can't believe anyone outside of Detroit would want to buy Chrysler. What advantage would it give them?

The name won't die, it just be a badge on a Chinese, Indian or Japanese makers car. Like Schwinn, RCA, Magnavox, etc.

The name gives someone instant acceptance to an American buyer. They won't buy a Chery, Geely or Shanghai Motors but they might by a re badged Chrysler version....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I wonder if Mr. Gettelfinger would be willing to give up his job? He says the UAW has made a lot of concessions. I guess they have. They still have that Job Bank though, don't they? 90% of your money for doing NOTHING. Boy, wouldn't it be great to get paid for not working? Why not make that concession Ron? But hey, don't worry about it....soon enough, one of the Big 3 may go out of business and then let's see what you'll be spouting.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
The name won't die, it just be a badge on a Chinese, Indian or Japanese makers car. Like Schwinn, RCA, Magnavox, etc.

The name gives someone instant acceptance to an American buyer. They won't buy a Chery, Geely or Shanghai Motors but they might by a re badged Chrysler version....
I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it.
He's got a point. But with something as large a purchase as a car, most (but likely not all) will figure out that it's a thinly guised Chinese car. The Big 3 have actually been doing it for decades with their captive imports. They slap Chevy or Pontiac, or Dodge, or w/e on a Korean built car and lots of people think it's American. The parent company is still America, but the vehicle is completely Korean. In this case, the parent company will no longer be American either. Ya, most people knew those captive imports were designed and built elsewhere, but not everyone. Does everyone know the Astra is built in Belgium? Does everyone know the Vibe is a Toyota? Sure, we all do, but certainly not everyone, and certainly not everyone driving them.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
The merger/swap will make GM and Cerberus solvent. It will give Chrysler time to re-organize and best of all, everyone gets big cash. While never a Union man myself, I have seen what unions have managed to do to assist workers in a boom economy, obtain cost of living increases that meet inflation. However, the economy of the Global World, has forced re-evaluation of cost, and the Unions stand to lose Big Time!

It's time for the Unions to talk to the membership about the future, and to wind down, their demands. The Big Three right now are looking like dinosaurs awaiting the next comet!

·
Premium Member
35,908 Posts
I'd say if Ronny is agin' it, it must be a good idear. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts