GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/ANA03/807280330/1197

Jamie LaReau - Automotive News - July 28, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT — By 2011, Chevrolet will get a version of one of the three minicar concepts that General Motors unveiled at the 2007 New York auto show, company executives say.

The vehicle, expected to replace the Aveo, will be expanded to the size of a subcompact.

In April 2007, GM unveiled the Groove, Beat and Trax minicars in New York. In November, GM said it will build and sell the Beat overseas, with production starting in 2009. But the automaker has said it will not sell the Beat in the United States.

Now, GM says the United States will get a version of the Groove or Trax by 2011.

"Of the triplets, we will get one of those variants," says Ed Peper, Chevrolet's vice president. Which one? "I don't want to say at this point."

Full article at link.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well at least we are getting something...I guess since those two are more "crossover" or SUV like they assume they'll sell better or something than the Beat.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
why would this vehicle be replacing the Aveo when GM already said a new Aveo is coming in 2010? I think this will complement the Aveo and Cruze.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Aveo - sedan.
Groove - hatch.

The Groove will probably sell better than the Trax - I mean, look how well the Scion xD sells.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I voted for the Trax during the online voting. Quirky looking thing, but I think it looks a lot better than a Yaris or an Aveo5.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
wow... so more back peddling by the General. Did they make this decision kicking and screaming?

At least they finally wised up to the fact that this car is needed here.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
So, we can't have the cool 2 door, but we can have the ugly 4 door.

Nice. Thanx GM.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
By 2011, Chevrolet will get a version of one of the three minicar concepts that General Motors unveiled at the 2007 New York auto show, company executives say.

The vehicle, expected to replace the Aveo, will be expanded to the size of a subcompact
Then it won't REALLY be one of the minis, will it?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Most likely Chevy is NOT getting a Aveo direct replacement because Saturn should have the Corsa by then.For GM to sell some Saturn they and get the image right, Saturn needs to be the only GM brand selling it.The groove fits in prefect with GMC,we even saw the future GMC truck (The Denali XT Hybrid Concept) was based off the Groove of course I always thought the trax was more Jeep like and should fit better with GMC to combat Jeep but I guess not.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
You have got to be kidding........it needs to be now and it needs to be all three.
Why the hell did they even bother asking us which one we wanted if they never intended to build them here anyway.
Stupid.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
I love how no one here seems to know nothing about engineering processes as well as timelines to bring vehicles to market. But this article is off, by quite a bit, wonder how the media comes up with such ideas sometimes.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Wow, some good news for a change! I actually liked all three of the triplets! :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
I love how no one here seems to know nothing about engineering processes as well as timelines to bring vehicles to market. But this article is off, by quite a bit, wonder how the media comes up with such ideas sometimes.
They get it from "auto insiders" who often throw the Media and other automakers off.But normally if you look at when the concepts were public and the mule test models it will shed light on how far along the production is.Some of is just plain guess too and what people here would like to see and when.But we know from Lutz that the next Corsa is coming and if built in NA we might get it first.We could possibly get 3 small vehicles similar to minis: Saturn Corsa (2010), GMC Groove?(2011) and Chevy Trax?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Most likely Chevy is NOT getting a Aveo direct replacement because Saturn should have the Corsa by then.For GM to sell some Saturn they and get the image right, Saturn needs to be the only GM brand selling it.The groove fits in prefect with GMC,we even saw the future GMC truck (The Denali XT Hybrid Concept) was based off the Groove of course I always thought the trax was more Jeep like and should fit better with GMC to combat Jeep but I guess not.
Saturn is an irrelevant waste of resources at this point. Who cares if they have the Corsa because it will still be selling 1/5th of whatever Chevy has. So why not just give it to Chevy in 3,4, and 5-door form. Booth the Groove and the Trax would make excellent additions to the lineup along side a more upscale gamma II aveo. Totally replacing the Aveo with these will only help Ford to sell more Fiestas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great news, that is if it is built in the US. As a retired auto assembler, I know many many who will absolutely NOT go in the showroom to look if it is built outside of the US. And as for the engineers, I have worked first hand with many of them at the assembly level and there is way too much fat in that department. Too many hands in the fire at once so nothing gets done quickly. We would try to build a new product and 5 engineers had 5 different opinions when we built pilot vehicles. Of course as UAW workers, we felt like our opinion did not matter so we just gave up and put parts on the way 5 people wanted you to. I am not saying all are dumb or anything, they just have too many working on 1 thing!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
What's off about the article? I read that the next Aveo will be a bit larger and one of the triplets will then come to the US to slot in under the Aveo. Sounds reasonable and likely to me.

Oh, and no one said that GM should have been able to engineer a brand-new car for the US market in 6 weeks. We're saying that the Beat / Traxx / Groove should have been designed with the US market in mind from the get-go.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have to think there will be a B segment sedan plus the Groove/Trax. Sedan's still sell very well in the US. What happens to the next gen HHR if there is a smaller version (Groove) al ready on the market?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I still can't comprehend how the new Beat was not engineered for the US market. I thought Lutz and Co. were past this? What happened to global cars? They show these triplets in NY, take a vote, and then say "just kidding, no mini cars for you"? I can't believe they would do all that and not even consider the possibility that they might have to offer the Beat in the US anytime before 2011/2012. What. the. hell.

In the meantime, Ford is rushing to convert its lineup to offer its Euro cars here. I bet the Fiesta is going to be big for them.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Saturn is an irrelevant waste of resources at this point. Who cares if they have the Corsa because it will still be selling 1/5th of whatever Chevy has. So why not just give it to Chevy in 3,4, and 5-door form. Booth the Groove and the Trax would make excellent additions to the lineup along side. Totally replacing the Aveo with these will only help Ford to sell more Fiestas.
There still are many people out there that doesn't like GM's main Brands: Chevy,Pontiac.. Etc.Also if you remember a few years back Gm did a study to find out image reception among brands and decided to stink money into Saturn as our Opel.GM can't be like the olden day where every brand gets every single platform that's what creates bad images of brands and Gm as a whole.Like it or not Saturn has a bright future within GM, maybe they haven't sold the numbers yet but numbers often lie.Foe me there is only 3 GM brands I would consider; Saturn,Saab and maybe the new Buick Or VW is getting my Money!.

Ford's Euro Fiesta will be a Mercury in NA anyway which is bad image wise right now anyway just like Pontiac.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts