GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
U.S. launches Toyota safety probe
Highway safety authority investigates reports of sudden acceleration in Camry, Lexus models.

March 9, 2004

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's largest auto manufacturer, Toyota Motor Corp., said Tuesday that the U.S. government has launched an investigation into three of its vehicle models, including the Camry -- its best-selling model in the United States -- over an alleged defect that causes sudden acceleration.

The U.S. highway safety authority announced Monday that it had received reports of 30 crashes that injured at least five people when some Toyota Camry, Camry Solara and Lexus ES300 vehicles suddenly and unexpectedly surged forward.

"One of the noted injuries was serious: it occurred when a pedestrian was struck by a vehicle which allegedly surged forward unexpectedly," the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said in a statement released on the Internet.

An estimated 1 million vehicles from the 2002 and 2003 model years could be affected, according to the NHTSA.

A spokeswoman for Toyota confirmed the NHTSA's investigation into the three models, but she said she could not give further details.

Shares in Toyota (TM: Research, Estimates) earlier ended Tokyo trade up 0.51 percent at ¥3,950, against a 0.25 percent rise in the benchmark Nikkei average

source

·
Registered
223 Posts
HAHAHAHA, toyotas are so good. One question though, why is this article not on the CNN front page??? Import BIAS.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Whaaa? I'm shocked that such a gentle, environmentally sensitive company would everrrrr knowingly sell or allow vehicles with such defects onto American streets. Aftewr all, it's Toyota.

·
Registered
114 Posts
HAHAHA [Japanese] CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!thats all i gotta say hahahahahahahaha......but anyway too bad this didnt happen bout 2 or 3 months later than now so the G6 can take advantage of the camry and es300 screw up but anyway i hope it takes em like 1 yr or 2 to fix all of em the right way that way the G6 will have a good amount of sales because JAPANESE vechicles are made to precision and quality hahahahahaha.....BS lol good job whoever found this out haha K-I-S-S,K-I-S-S OUR ASH,WE (US) will take advantage of the Japanese screw up....haha pretty good ha

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
it MIGHT take a little more than this to bring the japanese automotive industry to its knees! though it is a sign that they aren't bulletproof. and GM can't really laugh at toyota... or they'll have to justify the recent recalls they've made. i'm still glad to see press on toyota recalls... it's only fair!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Carguy2225, you sound like a freaking idiot. Why don't you grow up and inject a little discretion into your posts? While the term "***" isn't exactly up there with "n*****" or "k***", it's still insulting.

Aside from the language you used, your whole post is just remarkably aggressive and extreme. It seems as if you personally have been carrying the burden of the American car companies' struggles to meet the standards of quality that some of the Japanese manufactures (most notably Toyota) have set. This is of course not true, so why do you get so frenetic over one issue?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoa, down boys.

I don't think Carguy2225 meant the term "***" to be personally derogatory to any of our Japanese members in the context that it was used, but I have edited it out since it clearly can be perceived that way.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
saddly its true you hear about alot of domestic recalls that take about 5 mins of the news then IF imports make the news its only a 2 sec news brief.... what gives
???

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
You guys can't exactly say Toyota sucks when their cars are generally more reliable than the domestics, they have a better public perception than the domestics, and they have nice cars (not styling-wise though). It's not like GM is doing much better.... All automakers have recalls, and it's GREAT to finally see Toyota making the news. GM has been bombarded with recalls going on the front page one too many times.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Despite your brilliant and convincing argument, rickhunter1max, the appreciation I have for Toyota through years of experience with them remains unchanged. You do, however, make a few good points with your commentary. For instance, I agree with you completely on your declaration of your own ignorance and myopia.

It's disappointing that Toyota subjects themselves to the recalls that plague the American companies but, as someone already said, it just reveals the fact that Toyota isn't perfect or bulletproof. They're just better than GM at a lot of things.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Originally posted by fuel4soul@Mar 9 2004, 07:33 PM
Heard of this happening in the Vibe as well?
at what point was the vibe platformed shared with the camry, solara, or ES????????

or did you see Matrix in that list somewhere? Otherwise I must need better contacts...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by Arrowhead222@Mar 10 2004, 01:34 AM
Despite your brilliant and convincing argument, rickhunter1max, the appreciation I have for Toyota through years of experience with them remains unchanged. You do, however, make a few good points with your commentary. For instance, I agree with you completely on your declaration of your own ignorance and myopia.

It's disappointing that Toyota subjects themselves to the recalls that plague the American companies but, as someone already said, it just reveals the fact that Toyota isn't perfect or bulletproof. They're just better than GM at a lot of things.
I wish they had a smile face that shows it vomiting, because that is exactly what i just did. Dang optometrists

·
Registered
258 Posts
I say this because Toyota lacks the cool factor in the Toyota line. As for
A-Head222 Toyota is a Biatches car. Do you work for Toyota? (Tmcc, Tmis,Data,ect.) :roflmao:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I like to see what you say this Summer when, as predicted, gas prices reach around the $3.00 a gallon mark. None of the domestics have a viable approach right now to hybrids or hydrogen based vehicle (still no infastructure for refueling).
I know GM is suppose to be putting some hybrid technology on the Silverado and Sierra this Fall for commercial use - but what of the average driver with the average car that wants outstanding mileage for his vehicle. Especially for those poor saps on the west coast like California that always pay more for gas. Nothing is available except a Toyota or a Honda. But I can buy a 12mpg Hummer though! Only if I start rapping or making movies - which ain't gonna happen!!

Maybe that's why Toyota has decided to lease it's Hybrid Synergy Drive system to anyone willing to purchase it. I see this week Ford signed up. See:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=7915

Where's GM? :huh:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Especially for those poor saps on the west coast like California that always pay more for gas. Nothing is available except a Toyota or a Honda. But I can buy a 12mpg Hummer though! Only if I start rapping or making movies - which ain't gonna happen!!

LOL Thats funny killerrd2 But so true I live in Los Angeles. But I rather roll in my impala SS at $4.25 gallon than a death small death trap toyota or honda both suck:p

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think you missed the point rickhunter1max.

Like I've previously posted, GM needs to get into this hybrid game. Toyota / Lexus has a hybrid Highlander / RX400 coming out this Fall. It has all the same engines as before, but instead of just 230hp, they've added the Hybrid Synergy Drive type system with the same standard engine plus electric motors etc. and now are pushing 270hp and a combined total of 27.5mpg (city and highway). That's not a huge gain, but every little bit helps. It sure beats the crap out of 15-18mpg in a gas hog SUV!

Imagine your Impala SS with 350-400hp and still getting 25+ mpg in Cali. Now that would be the sh_t!!

I agree, I wouldn't want to own either death trap small cars (Honda or Toyota). I personally don't care for any of their vehicles and have owned both brands in the past.
My first car was a 1968 Impala SS, and I own only GM now - but I would like to see GM take the lead or jump on the bandwagon so we can all benefit from the technology!

.....and we HAVE to thank Toyota for that.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by killerrd2@Mar 10 2004, 09:05 PM
Like I've previously posted, GM needs to get into this hybrid game.
i could be wrong, but hasn't GM decided not to focus much energy (no pun intended!) on hybrids and instead put their resources into fuel cells? i though that they said as hybrids are stopgap and fuel cells could become viable early into the 2010's, they wouldn't dump too much cash into hybrid sytems.

not that that's even the right attitude (assuming it's the one GM adopted). no brand new technology (no, fuel cells aren't brand new but yes, they are new to mass-marketed vehicles) is universely accepted right away, so i think hybrids make sense for now. they have the potential to lower fuel consumption and become relatively well integrated into the mainstream by the time fuel cell vehicles are released... and then it'd be at least a decade (i'd guess) before fuel cell vehicles really took off (again, no pun!). that's assuming that fuel cell vehicles become viable AND affordable.

anyone know what GM's stance is on hybrids? i am aware the silverado/sierra hybrids are on their way, and that the vue hyrbrid, though delayed, is coming... but do they have any other plans?

oh yeah... toyota's safety probe... ummmm... ford should sue... probe is their name!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts