GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post it or if it was even worth posting, so here goes.

1) I drove by a local GMC/Buick Dealership this summer and there was maybe 5-8 new cars on the lot total. Pretty depressing. Drove by the same lot today and it looked 75% full, which is awesome. So maybe stock is normalizing faster than anticipated with interest rates increasing?

2) The new Call of Duty launched a few weeks ago. Yes I still play it even though I am significantly older than the teenage/college crowd that makes up most of the demographic. Its a guilty pleasure, what can I say? :) Anyway low and behold this week, what happens to appear.......

Its actually pretty fun to drive in it too........Cheers!!

• Helpful
Reactions: gkr778 and BlackGTP

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
1,550 Posts

1) I drove by a local GMC/Buick Dealership this summer and there was maybe 5-8 new cars on the lot total. Pretty depressing. Drove by the same lot today and it looked 75% full, which is awesome. So maybe stock is normalizing faster than anticipated with interest rates increasing?
My local GM dealerships also have more inventory than I have seen in a long time.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My local GM dealerships also have more inventory than I have seen in a long time.
Hopefully the tides are changing!!!

I found it in Warzone last night. It's fast AF.
Yeah, its actually one of the better vehicles to drive around in. Plus its quiet so its more stealthy, if you an consider a giant white brick stealthy.....Its fun.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,553 Posts
Are you sure they are new vehicles? I thought my dealer was improving, but on closer inspection it was a lot of late model used vehicles.
That's the way it is at the Ford store. One or two year old stuff with the mileage and then a price seemingly higher that what a new similar one would be... sheesh. :(

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
5,061 Posts

Thanks for sharing your observation at your local GMC/Buick dealership. My local GMC/Buick dealership, Landers in Southaven, Mississippi, has also increased its new vehicle inventory in the past couple months.

Cox Automotive data confirms our individual observations. In the diagram below, note the moderate but consistent rise in new vehicle supply from Week 31 to Week 44 of 2022 and compare the trend to the same period in 2021, 2020, and 2019.

A caveat: dealerships for the Asian OEMs in the U.S. market (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Hyundai/Kia) are still contending with extremely low "days' supply" numbers for new cars and in many cases months-long waiting lists for customers to take delivery of certain new vehicle models.

World Slope Organism Font Line

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
Occasionally I drive down 17 Mile Road, behind Chrysler's truck assembly plant. The road goes over a bridge at the railroad crossing there and gives a commanding view of the plant's back lot. I had been seeing that lot jammed full of thousands of Dodge Ram pickup trucks. I don't know if that was due to a chip shortage or something else. Last week I drove through there and saw the lot was about one tenth as full. Again, I don't know the ins and outs of Chrysler's production issues, but I thought it was a good sign for the auto industry (or at least Chrysler).

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you sure they are new vehicles? I thought my dealer was improving, but on closer inspection it was a lot of late model used vehicles.
I can't say for sure because I didn't stop, but either way its a good sign. I think "hot" vehicles (Bronco, etc...) will probably still take a while to normalize, but I wouldn't be surprised if everything else is getting closer to normal than the manufacturers want to let on (so they can keep MSRP higher). I have been tracking 2 different 3-row SUV/Crossovers and since this summer & listings are up 25-35% range. As sales slow over the winter, I expect that to continue to increase (barring any new major setbacks, of course).

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Maybe so, but I really wonder if things will ever be like they were (just a couple of years ago) with a fair number of "screamin'" deals out there?
Don’t expect it. Higher trades than before and less rebates on the new ones. Making the effective difference to trade a wash.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
Still not great here, but definitely an uptick in volume at our Chevy and Cadillac/Buick/GMC dealerships (Yes, we still have a Cadillac/Buick/GMC combined dealership, although they do have a clear segregation in both the showroom and service departments. Cadillac on the right, Buick/GMC on the left.)

• Helpful
Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Inventories are increasing and we are starting to see cash on the hood of cars which was non-existent not too long ago.
This is happening because people are refusing delivery in record numbers because of interest rates. The entire market is getting hammered and that's why so many different brands are looking like they are finally getting inventory all at the same time. Unfortunately the reasons are much more ominous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is happening because people are refusing delivery in record numbers because of interest rates. The entire market is getting hammered and that's why so many different brands are looking like they are finally getting inventory all at the same time. Unfortunately the reasons are much more ominous.
This makes sense now that you mentioned it. I was at a Dodge dealership recently just looking at some vehicles for a friend and I was inquiring about placing an order since the dealership didn't have one with the options that my friend wanted in stock. They wanted a nonrefundable deposit but couldn't tell me if they have an allocation or when they may get the vehicle. I wasn't going to go there because I'm not giving them money for hope, and I've never had to pay a nonrefundable deposit before, and often time no deposit. I think you're right about the current situation. It makes sense in my situation where the dealership is forcing a nonrefundable deposit in fearing that people may back out. All of the other Chevy dealerships that I've visited had either no deposits or at least refundable ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts