GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Two American Sedans that Could Have Been Great

By Igor Holas

I was recently reminded of the original 2003 Pontiac G6 Concept. This concept predated and predicted the upcoming Pontiac G6 “sports sedan.” Along with another recent sedan – the Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ – the G6 epitomizes the expression “lost in translation.” I would like to explore the ways Lincoln and Pontiac took those two distinctive, impressive concepts, and turned them into something much less inspiring.
MORE : http://www.autosavant.net/2008/03/two-amer...could-have.html

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think the Lincoln is ok. The overall look of Lincoln is lacking tremendously, just look at the grill on that SUV based on the Edge, looks like a cheese grader (sp?).

As for the G6, you are 100% correct. With the flexibility of todays materials, there's really no reason why the exterior of the Production G6 should have been so different from the concept. I can understand when conepts have 22 inch wheels and one piece glass roofs but the body should not change as much as it sometimes does.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
The Pontiac G6 was baked down before production. It's nice overhangs and good curves didn't carry over from concept. I'd like a shorter wheelbase RWD version. As it is, I think the front and back axles need to move forward about 4" relative to the car, then it's proportions would be okay. Those Epsilon's rear wheels are too far back and there is too much front ovehang. The Malibu does a better job with this than the G6 and Aura. If Pontiac wants such a swoopy roof line then they need to seriously consider a fast back for the G6...the way it is now just doesn't look all that great and tall people probably bang their head on entry/exit in the rear seats.

I think that the Edge, while a decent vehicle, is ugly...and it shouldn't be Lincoln material. I can't stand the Lincoln Edge.

Also, the Zepher is okay I guess, but I don't like the back end and I am a little dissapointed with the new Lincoln that's bigger than the MKZ because it's not RWD. I don't think either is designed to appeal to me, and they don't. I'd like something from Lincoln in the spirit of the 68 continental...something long, big, and low.

5,934 Posts
I think the G6 that hit production stayed pretty close to the concept. We need to keep in mind that the engineers take the concept and look to the best way to get it to production as-is. No doubt problems with engineering and production techniques handicapped what they could do. As production techniques improve, then the concepts should make it to production closer to the concepts.

Designers should keep pushing the envelope, then it is the engineers job and production folks job to stay as close to the concept as possible. I am an engineer, and there is a saying, "We can do anything. What do you want to spend?"

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
The G6 was a nice idea, but I think Pontiac could do alot better if they style their future vehicles around the G8. The rounded, swoopy style is out for Pontiac.
I agree, I like the more agressive styling of the G8. It's much better than the old GTO. It's long, low, and good looking...not overdone like the Charger or 300C.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I think the Lincoln is ok. The overall look of Lincoln is lacking tremendously, just look at the grill on that SUV based on the Edge, looks like a cheese grader (sp?).

As for the G6, you are 100% correct. With the flexibility of todays materials, there's really no reason why the exterior of the Production G6 should have been so different from the concept. I can understand when conepts have 22 inch wheels and one piece glass roofs but the body should not change as much as it sometimes does.
But the Lincoln is directly obvious as a rebadge, of a rebadge of what is mostly, a rebadge :D

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
MKZ is a non-sequitur of sorts. Okay it's a rebadge.

Partly why I hate the G6 is because it's such a horrible botch-job of the concept. Ditto the Aztek. The Aztek would have been brilliant (the concept was sound and interesting) if it had been executed properly.

But sometimes great cars fail for no apparent reason. I'll never understand why the Oldsmobile Aurora was so grossly and unfairly ignored. It's the best sedan GM EVER BUILT at that time and was the only domestic car I actually ever considered buying. The 2nd-gen model was particular interesting. It had a fabulous interior, sharp and distinctive styling, and was probably the best-handling large FWD car ever made. It begs to wonder why it failed so badly in sales in its last incarnation. I had hopes that once Olds was gone, GM would have given it a facelift, butt-tuck and sold it with the HF3.6 as maybe a large Chevy. It was a grossly underappreciated car that didn't deserve to die such an innocuous death.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.