GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBITAK) has been working with NEVS over the past few months to transform the 13-year old 9-3 into what the government calls a "Turkish national car." Official details aren't available yet, but the camouflaged prototypes (pictured) that were recently shown to government officials appear to be heavily influenced by the 9-3-based Cadillac BLS that was briefly sold in Europe.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/turkish-government-buys-rights-to-saab-93-89982.html

Hmm... it's probably not a bad idea. They will produce decent cars at a good price.

·
Registered
17,800 Posts
I thought the Chinese had bought the rights to use it to make an electric car or something.

Either way, Saab just wont die gracefully, all these plans and nothing ever happens. This sounds like another scheme that will never reach fruition.

And if they do ever produce this, hopefully it looks nothing like the BLS as that certainly wasn't a nice design. I'm sure GM's lawyers would have something to say about it also.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I thought the Chinese had bought the rights to use it to make an electric car or something.

Either way, Saab just wont die gracefully, all these plans and nothing ever happens. This sounds like another scheme that will never reach fruition.

And if they do ever produce this, hopefully it looks nothing like the BLS as that certainly wasn't a nice design. I'm sure GM's lawyers would have something to say about it also.
Are you saying this car is a turkey?

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Is this based on the 2nd generation 9-3 which NEVS got back into production briefly or the never quite finished 3rd generation 9-3 or 900 which NEVS also bought ?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

NEVS sold the rights to the 9-3 to this Turkish place. I don't know what that means for the NEVS electric 9-3.

It sounds like this Turkish place is dead serious on doing it too. It sounds like it will be a government car, so they won't have a sales hurdle to jump over.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 9-3 should be in the running for the "Same Car Produced Under the Most Numerous Parent Companies" award.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Ahh, a TOFAS 9-3 possibly...

As a young troop, I remember the TOFAS Murat 131 (Fiat 131 copies) "Taksi" cabs coming in and out of Incirlik ABi n the mid '80s...Thousands of Turkish Lira to go to Adana (yes, very inflated currency!)

Next time your at a your Ram dealer, take a look in the door jamb and see who builds the Ram ProMaster City...

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh, a TOFAS 9-3 possibly...

As a young troop, I remember the TOFAS Murat 131 (Fiat 131 copies) "Taksi" cabs coming in and out of Incirlik ABi n the mid '80s...Thousands of Turkish Lira to go to Adana (yes, very inflated currency!)

Next time your at a your Ram dealer, take a look in the door jamb and see who builds the Ram ProMaster City...
The old Transit Connect was built in Turkey too. Luckily, production moved to Spain.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
real quick - don't intend to finish

fullsize

·
Premium Member
35,798 Posts
I hope this turns out at least as well as Ivan's Commie Factory Cars.
What could possibly go wrong here?

·
Premium Member
35,798 Posts
They already did this, selling Fiat 131 forever
But this car is kind of a space shuttle compared to a Mirafiori
:lmao:

And, DUH, OTOH, Ivan does have a flying mo-sheen that can get to the ISS and we don't. We bum rides. :fall:

Just who is stupid, and how stupid?

Reactions: 2b2
1 - 13 of 13 Posts