GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for ways to make my Tahoe more fuel efficient (seeing that the cheapest gas near me is $2.12 a gallon) (I was thinking about giving it dual exhaust to tell you the truth). and I came across this...

Turbonator Link

Its the little fan like object that is inside the Air Intake Hose all the way on the right. It claims that it can increase fuel economy by 31% MPG and 35HP. Really all I care about is the MPG, not HP. But before I sink my teeth into this one, I thought I would gather your opinions first...they say they have one for every possible car (Even Supercharged and Turbocharged engines)...lemme know what you think! Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, NO.

Any questions?

:D

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Canuck@May 17 2004, 01:59 PM
Why not buy one and write a report?
Well if Branden want's to buy me one, I would gladly test it. But sorry, im not spending my own money to review something, I still love the site though... :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This looks like that Tornado product someone was selling a while back.

The Turbonator's airflow dynamics produces a swirling, fast-burn effect in the combustion chamber. This creates finer particles of atomized fuel, allowing better flame propagation and more complete combustion.
I may not know much about this whole process, but... atomizing fuel? Come on, give me a break.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The swirling air effect in the combustion chamber works as described.
A turbonator doesn't do that, however.
Using the posted picture as an example:
Directly behind the turbonator, is the mass air flow sensor, which has screen in it that would distrupt the swirling of the air. Further down the inlet tract, there is the throttle blade, which would stop the swirling even more. If there happened to be any more swirling air left, the air vortex would have to somehow evenly distribute itself to each of the cylinders to have the effect they're hyping.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Is this thing gave you 30% better fuel economy dont you think GM would install it as standard on all its models, I mean voila stick it on the GTO and it beats the Gas guzzler tax :rolleyes: . Is a complete load of BS

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
A guy @ my job bought 1 of those things 4 his truck (1998 1500 Silverado w/350,auto) a month ago. He paid $81!!!! :eek: 4 the damn thing and has been driving his Echo in almost everyday :blink: . I asked him about how well it works and he shruged his shoulders and said "I don't know, with gas prices being so high the Echo is cheaper 2 drive."............WTH????!!!!!! :blink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
All this thing does is restrict your intake path negating any advantage to "speeding up" the airflow. It's junk!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Waste of cash. That thing is complete snake oil.

Want to really save gas? here's what you do.
1. Go easy on the gas pedal. Avoid launching at every stoplight and use only as much accelerator as you need to get the car moving. If a manual, upshift as soon as possible. If an auto, let it upshift as soon as it can by staying off the gas.
2. Plan errands better. If youv'e got a lot of crap to do, get it all done at once. Try to plan a circuituous route around town instead of making 5 trips out of the house. Make one and stop at 5 places.
3. Carpool to work or take public transit if it's an option.
4. Ride a bike or walk if work is close enough.
5. Stay off surface streets if you can.
6. Don't let the car idle for extended periods.
7. Keep your tires properly inflated.
8. DON'T SPEED.
9. Keep your vehicle properly maintained.
10. And if you're really concerned about gas mileage, consider trading in for a smaller vehicle if it's possible. Now if you need that thing then fine. If you tow heavy loads, run off road a lot, or haul a lot of stuff, then you probably need it. No problem. If you don't need it, but don't whine about gas prices, no problem. Nothing ticks me off more than hearing some soccer mom piss and moan about how expensive gas is as she's dumping 50 bucks' worth into her Expedition, when she's only got one kid and lives in the 'burbs. If you're that worried about it, GET A SMALLER CAR!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts